Mmmm new pc - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Mmmm new pc

Mmmm finally got a new PC... I tried fixing my CPU fan in my old one and I broke it...

So here it is.
AMD Athlon 2800, 512DDR, CD & DVD burner, GeForce 4 MX, 160gb HD, NVIDIA NForce motherboard, the onboard sound card wouldnt work my Klipsch 4.1 surround sound so I took it back and they gave me a Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 for free... And when I send in my rebates the 17" moniter and lexmark printer will be free too... Not bad for $709.00
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2003, 09:11 AM

Re: Mmmm new pc

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
160gb HD,

[/ QUOTE ]
He he he, a 160 gig HD, I've got a 20 in my home PC and a 10 in my laptop, and I can't fill either one of them.
I can't imagine ever filling a 160....but then again, I'm not a gamer either.

Let me know how the Athlon works for ya, I almost bought one way back when, but I opted for a Pentium III which was the hotest item at the time.
Sounds like a nice machine, I always say, if yer buyin' a PC, might as well get the smokin hottest fastest thing going, cause in a couple years it'll be like a Vic-20 compared to the new stuff [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]...J/K.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2003, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Haha ya thats for sure.. My old pc was a AMD K6 300MHz and a 4 gig HD... 2MB video card... But I upgraded to a VOODOO II 8MB which was like the hottist chit at the time. Also it came with 64mb of ram and i eventually got it up to 192mb ram... but now its basically dead... I'll give it to my grandpa, he's been wanting one to mess with... Just gotta format the harddrive..... Certain pictures if ya know what I mean [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2003, 07:53 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">A simple format won't get rid of anything... It's pretty simple to recover files from a formatted hard drive.. A wipe is what's needed, despite taking a bit longer... I prefer a random number of wipes, somewhere between 7 and 19... Then again I'm paranoid...</font>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2003, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

What would you be hiding? [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2003, 01:05 PM

Is there a program to run the wipe? Does it come with an OS or is it downloadable from the net?

How can you retrieve anything from a formatted HD????

p.s. as you can tell I am still learning [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-01-2003, 10:55 AM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">There's plenty of software floating around out there to do both... A good site that showcases or at least used to showcase lots of useful shareware and freeware programs do to all sorts of things is/was www.Hotfiles.com... Or a brief web search should turn up a plethora of information on such things...

As to what I might care to get rid of, it's basically any trace of anything I've ever done or used on the computer, simply because I am a privacy nut and feel it's nobody's business except my own (and of course big brother out there watching stuff remotely)...</font>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode