Bambi beware !!!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Bambi beware !!!!!!

just thought you guys might like to see what i have been doing in my spare time ....... i shot the spike elk this tuesday and the blacktail buck last tuesday... now all i need is a bear... Von Warner
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1206944-spike2.jpg (37.5 KB, 20 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 09:23 AM

Re: Bambi beware !!!!!!

VERY nice Eric.
I am going turkey hunting this Sunday and may have to shoot up to Nebraska for pheasant at the beginning part of November... I'll make you a deal...
You take me bear hunting in your neck of the woods and I will take you whitetail hunting in Kansas...

If I get one this weekend, I'll post the pics...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 12:22 PM

If you need a place to store the meat [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].....I have a freezer in my basement with room. It will have to share space with the beef that I had butchered. Nothing like fresh meat in the freezer..... [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 05:14 PM

Not bad!! Elk steak is the best. I do the bow and arrow thing. never shot a dear with a rifle. redtoy92 [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 09:15 PM

Yep it is that time of year to stock up the freezer once again. Rifle season comes early in oregon. I have to wait a couple more weeks here in PA. Bow season is in right now but I have had no time to get out. Nice job on the hunts Von. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 09:17 PM

What kind of Gun is that ?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2003, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

It is a Winchester model 70 with the BOSS , chambered in .300 Winchester magnum click here . the scope is a Leupold Tactical 4.5-14 with the "mil dot" recticle click here ..when i bought the gun i was trying to order brand new rifle chambered in .300 Weatherby , but Winchester has discontinued the BOSS option on there rifles because it wasnt something that customers wanted and they are very loud, so i bought the "used" .300 Winchester rifle the dealer had on the shelf for $350 and saved myself $300 . i do not think that the previous owner had fired a box of shells through it . i absolutely love the gun and the scope , the .300 Win. mag. is a little big for some of the deer around here, but i do a lot of long range shooting and the extra energy offered at those long ranges is helpful in making good clean kills . i do have to say that the noise is absolutely intolerable and if i have the time to put in my earplugs before shooting at an animal i will. i have to admit that i am sort of a recoil sissy and without the BOSS or similar type of compensater i wouldnt own a rifle chambered over 7mm mag. ....Von Warner
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2003, 08:18 AM

nice kills

im calling PETA on you [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]..........what type of round/gun are you going to use on bear the same .300 win. mag??????never shot a .300 yet does it kick much? my bear/boar gun is a winchester .45-70 gov. (300 grain hollow point to 500 grain soft nose) now that kicks [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

later
john [img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2003, 12:52 PM

Re: nice kills

With a 180-gr bullet in .300 Win Mag and 8.5 lb rifle, you get 25.9 ft.lbs of kick. Your .45-70 300-gr will kick at 23.9 ft.lbs in a 7 lb rifle.

For comparison, a 55-gr .223 will kick at 3.2 ft.lbs in an 8 lb rifle.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-30-2003, 05:42 AM Thread Starter

Re: nice kills

those PETA folks are freaks.... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] .... i shoot the .300 for all the game around here.. bear and elk are the toughest things that i will have to kill here in Oregon . i figure that since i shoot that particular gun well, i had better stick with it ..... i had a 45/70 that i used to have when i hunted with hounds for bear . i liked it for short range knock down power but it just sat in the gun safe after PETA helped shut that down for us.....factory loads in the 45/70 are pretty light by comparison to what say a Ruger #1 or a Marlin 1895 can actually handle . once you start reloading and get the velocity up around 2000 fps with the 405 grain bullet the old recoil begins to become uncomfortable in the lighter guns .... i will say that the recoil of a hot loaded 45/70 is less "sharp" than the unbraked .300 .. by that i mean the .300 's recoil is very quick to transfer the recoil to you shoulder versus the 45/70's longer "push" when it transfers the recoil .... i am not exactly sure why that is but i assume it has something to do with the acceleration rate and velocity of the bullet.... ize aint no rokitsyntist.... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Von Warner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode