Contact fitting on Monday - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2003, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Contact fitting on Monday

Got an appointment set-up for Monday afternoon for contact lenses fitting. Anybody here wearing 'em? I never have, and have been wearing glasses for 15 years now since I got my driver's licence.
Girl told me that she'd set me up with the disposables, six in a pack, and they'll last six months. Anybody use the disposables? How are they?
Medical plan is covering them, but only one set, the other six months I'll have to pay for myself.
Has anybody ever slept with them in for a short time before? Like an hour or so? Is it possible? I know a guy that used to fall asleep with them in after drinking.....couldn't open his eyes in the morning....he he he.
I guess I'm just wondering how they'll do while travelling, its not uncommon for me to be on two or three airplanes in a row, and I sometimes fall asleep on the plane for a little while.

Thanks for any info or advice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2003, 06:11 AM

Re: Contact fitting on Monday

he,he, he, you didnt know i am blind as a bat without my contacts did you ??? i have been wearing contacts for about 20 years now . i love them , i too wear the disposable kind and i usually just wear them till they start to feel scratchy then throw them away and put in another pair.. i believe mine are called ultraflex 7/14 and they are tinted just a bit so that you dont lose them so easily ..i usually wear mine for about a month on average , sometimes 6 weeks. my doctor said there was no reason to throw them away if they were still wearable . i have slept in mine but like you said after a full night sleep they tend to dry your eyes out a bit . i would suggest keeping some eye drops in your pocket for those naps on the plane . .... i wear my contacts for everything even swimming and diving.. the only place i found that i couldnt wear them was out at the nickel mine , the dust out there from the smelting process contained lots of silica fiber that seemed to imbed itself into the soft contact material forming a sort of Brillo pad against my eyeball ..the dust from the mill doesnt seem to bother me much so i wear them all the time to work now....a few tips ... hydraulic fluid seems to soak into the contact material quite well , this usually happens when they are still in my eyes .... warm tree sap doesnt come off of your contacts, it burns like hell and will glue your eyelids together ...this usually happens when i am miles from my truck out in the woods...if you go swimming with them in don't open your eyes under water or your contacts will just float off of your eyes.... hope this helps...Von Warner
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2003, 07:27 AM
Can't Get Enough

I'm going to be throwing my glasses away soon also. But not for contacts, I'm going to get laser eye surgery (PRK).
Really looking forward to being able to see the TV from bed, and not having to find my glasses in a tent.
[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2003, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I thought about the laser eye surgery for a while too, but I found out it wasn't for me....
Turns out my eyes aren't bad enough to warrant the surgery, I was told they wouldn't do it unless your vision is beyond a certain point....I usually only wear my glasses for driving, and watching TV.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 07:28 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I wore glasses for a good 7 or 8 years. My eyes got to the point where they were -3.25 and -3.50. I started wearing those Acuvue 2 lenses about a year and a half ago. At first they sucked because they dried out but after a few days I got used to blinking more often.

Having peripheral vision is great. Being able to drive at night without two sets of rings from headlights is great. Having to actually wear safety glasses isn't great.

I get about a month out of mine before they get tossed. The "barnacles" as I call them get too numerous and become cloudy. I take mine out every night because if I don't they get glued to my eyeballs and I have to scrape them off. Sometimes this even happens during the day. Plus, if I don't take them out my eyes hurt in the morning. If I've had them in longer than 18 hours my eyes hurt as soon as I take the contacts out. A groove around the edge of the contact forms if I wear them overnight.

However, there's no way in hell I'd go back to wearing glasses.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 08:55 PM

Ohhh I remember the good 'ol days of contact lenses...I USED to have -7.50 vision in both eyes... Yup, I said -7.50...But with the wonderful world of the "lazer" i am now 20/15 in both eyes... It was the best investment that I have ever made. One thing when getting your contacts fitted-- It will get easier over time. I know that in the beginning it will take you an hour to put them in, but before you know it, you will be a contact pro.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 10:11 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I forgot two things:

1. I can take the contacts in and out under 3 minutes now with a full clean both on removal and installation. I scrub with my middle finger of my right hand and install with my index finger of the same hand in order to keep the contacts clean. I install both with the same finger. For removing, I use my pinky fingers on each hand.

2. This year I kept my same prescription as the previous time. That's a first ever. Ever since I started wearing corrective lenses I've gotten -.25 worse every year.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

Well today is the day, I'm anxious and I'm not, but I'm soo sick of wearing glasses, losing them, forgetting them everywhere, sitting on them, blah, blah blah.

My eyesight has actually been pretty good since I've been wearing glasses. I started at 16 when I failed the eye exam for my driver's licence, and now 15 years later, I've only had two prescription changes, which were minimal, and only in one eye. They tell me I have a stigmatism in one eye?

With glasses, driving at night has been a hassle, and almost impossible at night if raining. I'm looking forward to any improvements that come with them.

Thanks folks, I'll update later.

Cory
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 07:13 AM

HOLY COW !!!!!.... -7.50 is pretty blind 2TOY. i think i am at -2.50 in both of my eyes and i thought that was bad i can see why you went with the lazer surgery... i have a couple of questions for you about it ... i have heard that you cant be involved in activities that impose pressure on your eyes ,diving for instance . also i heard that there are tiny scars from the surgery that tend to diffuse the light from oncoming traffic at night making it hard to see... are there any truths to these rumors?... i have a hard time with the idea of someone hacking on my eyeballs when i know that with one screwup i am going to be blind ............does anyone remember the James Bond movie where 007 is strapped to a table and there is this big laser beam getting ready to cut him in half ???? that is what i picture when i think of laser eye surgery [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]....Von Warner
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 06:27 PM

i went the same route as toy. dunno what my specs were but i was nearsighted as all hell, so much so that before i got glasses as a kid my eyes scrunched up so when i tried to ditch my glasses and get contacts after highschool neither me or the doctor could get them in and out with a lot of cursing and scratching my eyes, even he recommended i not get contacts b/c my eyes had narrowed so much. THANK GOD FOR THE LASER. i can say for a fact that sitting up from the table after the laser eye surgery was the coolest thing in my life to date. you forget how sharp natural vision is after you sit behind glasses half your life. plus its real neat watching surgery on your eye with that very eye heh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode