Contact fitting on Monday - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 04:54 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Contact fitting on Monday

they dont even put you out for the laser surgery? that is weird, but cool! my correction is minimal and has been the same for awhile now... i do have a stigmatism in one eye, can i still get the "lay-zer" put on it? [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] i tried contacts but that freaked me out, and ever since i saw a video of a contact get stuck up on top of the eyeball i cringe when i think about sticking those things in everyday, but it'd be pretty cool to get rid of the glasses [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 05:13 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
i have heard that you cant be involved in activities that impose pressure on your eyes ,diving for instance .

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, I have been diving since the surgery and no problems.. Well, other than an inner ear infection, but I don't think that was due to the "lazer".

also i heard that there are tiny scars from the surgery that tend to diffuse the light from oncoming traffic at night making it hard to see...

[/ QUOTE ]

Some truth to this one....Some.. Right after the surgery some people, myself included, had what is referred to as the "halo" effect. Lights at night ( headlights, street lights, etc. ) have a halo around them. It gets better with time and a month or so after the surgery they went away all together. The only time they cut your eye is to move the cornea ( lens ) out of the way, then the lazer comes into play. You stare at a little target and you can hear the lazer clicking away. You don't feel a thing cause they put in numbing drops in your eyes and give you a Valium before you start. The only freaky thing about the whole surgery is that EVERYTHING goes black for about 5 seconds. They didn't tell me this was going to happen and needless to say I freaked out a little as I thought I was going blind.
It hurt like a SOB that night and any light, I mean any light even candlelight, hurt my eyes. The only side effect of the surgery is sunlight effects my eyes a little bit more for longer periods of time. But thats why God invented sunglasses.
One important thing to know is that if you wanted to get the surgery you have to wait until your eyes "level out" as far as correction goes. There is no point in getting the surgery then having to get the surgery again 2 years later. The place where I got my eyes fixed has a lifetime warranty on it, sooooo, if my eyes get worse later they will fix them for free.
The cost of the surgery goes up with correction. My surgery would have cost around $5500 for both eyes, but I got a discount because of my job as a firefighter... Bonus!!

I am an avid hunter and two weeks after the surgery I went to sight in the 'ol deer rifle. I shot better than I had in my entire life. The truth is, I had good vision with contacts and glasses but now I have great vision. I just didn't know what a "clear" target was supposed to look like. As previously mentioned, it was the best investment ever made.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 07:04 PM

im pretty sure even with ur stigma you can get it muddy, worst case call up a random place that does lasic and ask. all the places around here do a free check to make sure your eyes are healthy and see if you are a good candidate for it. c'mon can't go wrong with free. dont sweat the being awake part, worst part is the pressure from tha blade that cuts your lens so they can give ya the ole laser. but since i got mine done just i think mebbe 2 or so years ago they already are doing no blade lasic commonly, why use a blade to cut when another laser can do that too! i had that halo porblem toy was writn about, went away before too long
post #14 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 09:05 PM

Nope, they don't put you out. I went when my dad got laser surgery, the eyeball was smoking!! Haha, it was pretty cool
post #15 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 02:59 AM
Mud in my Veins

sounds good... i wonder if there's any chance i could get my ins co to cover part of it? doubtful [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] i'm going to do some checking around, i'll dig up my records but I don't think I've changed my prescription in the last 6 years so that should be "stable" enough I would think. do doctors ever botch this crap, cuz it surely isn't worth being blind in even one eye for the rest of my life just to avoid corrective lenses. thanks for the info, i'm getting psyched now [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #16 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 09:20 AM

. do doctors ever botch this crap

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure that it's happened in the past. The only advice that I can give on this one is to go to a reputable place. I have seen some ads where they advertise very low prices and nobody has ever heard of them before. The place where I went has done about 20,000 of the surgeries before. Just check around. I would be willing to pay a little bit more not to go blind.
Here's something to remember Muddy,
What do you call the Doctor that graduated last in medical school??????

DOCTOR...

Just remember, check the referrals and talk to the doctor.

As far as insurance covering the cost. Probably not. Some insurance companies are starting to realize that if you get the surgery you will have no other need for eye insurance in the future... Although, some insurance companies are known for putting in partial cost. I know some people that use a "lunch plan" type of thing from their employer where you can take pre-tax dollars to pay for medical expenses. The only kicker is that you have to use the money in the same year that you take it out and if you don't use it, it's lost. But that would be something to ask your specific employer. Keep me posted...
post #17 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 05:20 PM

i seem to remember some company that covered part of the cost back when i was looking into it. do some homework theres always a chance ur insurance thieves will cover something.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2003, 08:03 PM

AHA amidst a random frenzied room cleansing i found an insurance flyer which mentions discounts available for lasik! of course i wouldnt know if your company does this but my insurance provider belongs to this thing called the VSP : vision service plan. bug your provider see if they know anything about it. theres a website if ya need to give em more info www.vsp.com, imagine that. other than that if ya want you can drive to NJ cuz the place i went to keeps sending me $200 off coupons in case anyone i know wants lasik heh.
post #19 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 09:48 AM

So how did everything go with the contact fitting Cory???
post #20 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2003, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

2toy,

I really just had a sizing appointment, I don't go back til this Friday for an actual test fit. They are bringing in one pair for me to try out, then if all is well, they'll bring in the rest.
Apparently, with my stigmatism, the contacts actually are weighted on the bottom so that they stay upright.....which in normal (un-stigma) cases isn't an issue.
I'll give an update for sure at the end of the week.....I sure hope they work out ok, I found a good deal on a pair of Oakleys down in Florida, so without contacts, they are useless.

Later man.

Cory
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode