which one would you keep? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

which one would you keep?

ok, here is my dilemna. I have 2 4wd vehicles. One 1986 Bronco2, and one 1986 cj7 jeep. The bronco was given to me, previous owner was going to junk it because she was told by her mechanic friend the motor had a cracked head/blown head gasket, but turned out to be a clogged radiator. I put in a new radiator, problem solved [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]. I have been driving it everday for the last month, no problems.(FWIW I did offer to give the bronco back to my lady friend, but she didn't want it because she had already bought another vehicle). the bronco's floor boards are rusty, with a couple holes, but like I said it drives and runs good. The cj7 is more in the project stage right now. It basically needs a new tub, or lots of work on the original one. the engine is a amc 360, hasn't been ran in a long time, PO wasn't sure what problems it had then. Also needs a new gas tank, brake lines, among other small things. I guess what I am trying to decide is: which vehicle should I keep? neither one is costing me money sitting in the garage, but at the same time, i can't afford to make both of them project vehicles and spend money on both of them, which is what I really want to do [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]. I am a ford man at heart, but I have to admit when the jeep was in running condition, it was the most fun vehicle i have ever had. Top off, no doors, can't hardly beat that I am looking for opinions here...what would you do if you had to choose between these 2 vehicles?....thanks for any advice, Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 06:56 PM

Re: which one would you keep?

crush the Bronco... as far as i am concerned they were ment to be throw away vehicles.. fix the Jeep the way you want .... there are thousands of things you can do to that jeep from very little money to LOTS of money ... either way you will be happier with the Jeeps solid axle front end ...unless you are a dedicated , die hard Bronco freak, the Bronco will be nothing but a money pit for you with the cost to gain performance off road far exceding the cost to do comparable performance modifications to the Jeep ....you said it has a 360 but i think it is a 340 , if the running gear is good and the body is straight you can go any direction you want from there .extreme rock crawler to mild offroad vehicle ... you have a very good base with a jeep as compared to a bronco II....... just my opinion .... Von Warner
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

thanks for your thoughts, Baronvonwarner.....it is a amc 360, I pulled the 258 and swapped the 360 in when I started the project, then ran out of funds [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 07:31 PM

i stand corrected... i think i was thinking 304 when i made that statement with a bit of International 304/345/392 twisted in somehow... sorry about that ... i still would take the jeep ....Von Warner
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 07:34 PM
Can't Get Enough

If it was the older style Bronco, I'd go with that. I don't care for the "newer" body style.
I'd definitely go with the Jeep, unless I needed to pull a trailer, in which case I'd take the Bronco
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 10:45 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

He said Bronco II. IE: the POS things that are smaller than a S10 Blazer inside and look like a box going down the road.

The only benefit they ever had going for them was that you could replace the stock 302 with a Mustang 302 with forged internals and replace the rear axle with a 9". Then you can go hog-wild with the stupid pedal.

Further modification involves putting a minispool in both the TTB and Ford 9". Next, you lift it by putting stock F150 coils up front and doing your favorite ghettolift in the rear.

It's basically like being in a REALLY heavy Samurai. Wants to tip over if you breathe on it wrong but it's really cheap to get 31s on. Oh, and it holds 4 bags of groceries instead of just 2 bags.

I vote for the Heep if you want a nice daily drivable rig. Otherwise it's cheaper to get a ghettobronco trailworthy.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 02:19 PM
Can't Get Enough

Oh Bronco II... Screw that, go with the Jeep for sure.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 07:45 PM
Mud in my Veins

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
The only benefit they ever had going for them was that you could replace the stock 302 with a Mustang 302

[/ QUOTE ]
jigga what? when did the B2 come with a stock 302? 2.8 and 2.9 V6's are all I know of... a V8 B2 would be fun as hell though! We have a lot of fun with my brother's fairly stock B2 but I too would likely choose the CJ, especially since it already has a V8! If you don't want to get lost in the crowd, you could instead chop up the B2, put it on full width axles, and drop in a 302/C6 combo and have a hellified crawler/bogger that wouldn't just blend in with the line of Heeps at the trailhead. I have FORD pride so that sounds nice to me, but the CJ should be an easier route.... [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

yeah, would be nice if it had a 302 [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]..that would add a whole new outlook to the decision!!! It has the 2.9 and 5 speed.....I think what I am going to do is drive the bronco2 untill I get the jeep on the road. Just keep the bronco roadworhty through the winter, then maybe have some funds to start wrenching on the jeep again...thanks for everyone's advice and more ideas are welcome [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 10:37 PM
Blackbob

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
jigga what?

[/ QUOTE ] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

LMFAO !!!!!

~BB~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode