Truck Tents - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Truck Tents

anyone have any experience with a truck tent? you know, the tent that goes over your truck bed. just curious. i was looking at them in Summit the other day. hopefully we'll be getting a newer bigger tent to go camping in, but i was thinking something for the truck - is it worth gettin?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 04:22 PM

Re: Truck Tents

Ive seen them in catalogs,and to be honest with ya,they dont look that convienent with the set-up part.I thought about it not long ago,but I have a family of 4.Plus look at the price tag. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

yeah, the price is kinda over the top.....what? a $10 tarp???? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 11:01 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Rembrant, TXFireman, and I talked about this a while back. I haven't found the thread yet though.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 09:36 PM

I have camped in a cheap aluminum camper shell . I picked it up used for 50.00 . I just couldnt pay that much for a tent thhat wasnt going to last more than a few seasons .
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 01:40 AM
Keyboard Implanted

and you all tell me my topper is for old folks.....well im high and dry friends! camping is a breeze....just toos a twin matress in the back and im off
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 11:06 PM
Mud in my Veins

I like them. I want to get one, but yep, don't have the $$$ right now. Might just actually drag my butt over to my buddy's place and take the topper home he's already basically given me and called it good.

I do remember when I was looking at those truck tents, running across some site on the web that had "blemish" ones. They stated that the blemishes were cosmetic and production related, nothing structural (no leaks). They were selling them for around $100. Something to think about if you can find whichever site it was. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

unfortunately, no shell for me........(and i'm so sad, let me tell ya) [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] i have a headache rack, tool box, and bedrails that aren't going anywhere. so a temp setup cover of some kind was my idea. now that i think about it, i can easily make one of my own. it wouldn't be the prettiest thingm but its be cheap, easy and effective.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 02:54 PM

I also thought about getting on of the truck tents. but To be honest i find it much easier to just throw a air mattress in the back of truck with out a overhead cover in the summer and just set up a three man tent in five minutes on the ground next to my truck. redtoy92
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 12:30 PM

I agree with you there Sparty, except I can fit a full size matress in my truck. I went caming about a month ago and had to laugh at my friends trying to set up their tent in the dark when all I had to do was throw their stuff out of the back of my truck and I was done. I've also got a power inverter so if I want I can lay in back and have a fan going if it's too warm, or if I'm especially bored I can get on my laptop and play around or watch movies.

I am much happier this way around than with a truck tent. Although I do understand that price is a big factor. My topper ran about $1400 which would probably buy 4 tents. But when your on a long trip a tent isn't going to keep everything in the bed of your truck dry when it starts raining.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode