another dumb programming question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

another dumb programming question

I'm working on a programming assignment in java and I thought I remember how to run it on unix, but apparently its slipped out of my mind (along with countless other things).

I got it to compile using "javac {file name}.java" And it did make a class file. I remember having to type something different in to run it but I get errors on everything I try.

I've tried:
"java {file name}"
"java {file name}.class"
"java {file name}.java"
and several other things.

Could someone refresh my memory on the command. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 01:01 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: another dumb programming question

you really need to get on IRC to ask these sorts of things... there are always 15 year old supernerds there that can answer anything [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 07:47 AM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Doesn't anybody ever hold onto their textbooks anymore? I can't help as I'm not familiar with java, except the sort you brew up and consume...</font>
post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

I figured it out. I was doing it right, but for some reason Unix wouldn't see the input file, so it was throwing out an error. I still have my java book from comp sci 1, but it was at home and I was at school (30miles away), so it wasn't doing me much good.

Comment: Java does a good job of telling you what the compile time errors are, but its worthless for the runtime errors. Oh well, no harm no foul, right?

Sorry to bug y'all on such a dumb question.

BTW, muddy, what's IRC? (I suppose another dumb question)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I finally figured that part out after a while of deciphering the error. I guess I was just a little taken back when it compiled fine and then wouldn't run. But I've got it going now, no problems.

Thanks anyway!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 02:36 AM
Mud in my Veins

IRC = internet relay chat
i've been using it since I was 15 years old and it's still the internet's best kept secret because it's not easy for the first timer to use. basically it's a huge chat network, but it's also used to trade software and anything else you can think of.... [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
www.mirc.com is by far the most common Windows client, and the EFNet network is where most people are found. I would expect a CS major to figure it out easily but I grew up on this stuff so it's just instinct for me at this point. Kazaa and other p2p software is always making the news but without the IRC trading groups there would be very little on those p2p networks worth downloading. Anyway yes it can also be used for legal means if you want to talk to smart people about nerdy things [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 10:12 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I've been using IRC mostly on DALnet since August 1997. I have pretty much quit using it in the last two years or so. I get on long enough to identify to my nicknames and channels while sometimes talking to the few people that are left that i've known for years.

DALnet has severely limited filetrading but it's still there.

I used to know a lot of opers, CSops and services admins but as time goes by they all disappear. The only one I talk to that often is xPsycho (Ryan Smith) which is the lead coder for services.

#C++ is still a cool channel. I used to know the owners, Pat (yournickname), but it's changed hands now. Still a smart group of people.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 04:29 PM
Mud in my Veins

i don't think i've been on dalnet since around 98... at some point back then they nuked ALL file sharing and it became a barren wasteland of foreign chat. efnet seems to have a good mix, but i dont get on there a whole lot any more because p2p serves me pretty well for most stuff. unfortunately i think IRC might be coming under more intense scrutiny because there was a segment on CNN not long ago that showed a bunch of college students in a dorm with a projector watching movies that they got off IRC... it even showed a shot of mIRC in a movie channel so that is probably not such a good thing... quality movies aren't well propogated on p2p so IRC is key for that. i don't forsee the end of IRC any time soon but EFnet could certainly be pressured just like Napster was... but of course the trading network would be reborn, it's unavoidable [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode