Camcorders - opinions and facts - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Camcorders - opinions and facts

I'm currently in the process of looking for a camcorder. What should I look for? I want something that won't be obsolete any time soon. I also want something that has very good quality (read: worth something, good picture; i.e. not junk). I know next to nothing about them so any advice would mean the world. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2003, 06:53 PM

Re: Camcorders - opinions and facts

I got a panasonic with a fire wire cable so I can edit on my computer . It seems the future of editing is on the computer . It is hard ...dont let anyone fool you . My hi 8 jvc is laying in the box if you are interested . It has less than 6 hours on it . I have the tapes and all the cables .Its still in the origonal box . pm me if you are interested . It works good , it just didnt have a firewire cable and I wanted to learn digital editing . In reference to all the cameras out there though I have found that you have to find one that is comfortable to hold and use in "your" hands . Good luck .
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 08:56 AM
Can't Get Enough

I've had a VHS-C since 95. It does the job alright, but not a lot of features.
Definitely get one with a fold out view screen. It bites always having to look through the viewfinder.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 12:02 PM

<font face="COmic Sans MS">I have a Sony DCR-TRV130... This is their bottom end 8mm digital (digital 8) camcorder, it has the night shot night vision stuff (it's built in IR illuminator works on in a standard size room area but outside it lacks a bit, but you can procure an external IR illuminator to get out to about 100 yds I believe... It is digital and therefore has a firewire connector and can edit it in the computer...

I like it, but if I were going to buy a new one today it would be at least 1mega pixel... This one does 640x480 pretty well... It looks good for on computer and on TV use if you don't need anything bigger than that...

Get the most optical zoom you can and try to make sure it has threads you can use to attach other lenses and filters with... Just completely ignore digital zoom, because it is essentailly just crap and will simply end up with all your imagery pixellated if you use digital zoom much... </font>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your advice, this helps me out tremendously!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2003, 01:46 PM

i just siezed one today after a search of a vehicle. some guy and his brothers were taking pic's and recording our planes and restriced area. a major no no on this base. The funny part is we had to watch all the tape to see what was on it and this guy had been at a drug party and was seen doing drugs and hot naked girls doing some very hot things. So know this guy is going to be going to Military prison for a while then he will be at Mcdonalds flipping your next burger. redtoy92 oh yeah it was a sony and had very clear picture.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 01:05 AM
Mud in my Veins

my brother has the cheaper sony handicam 8mm ~$250 and it works fine... it has Svideo and composite outputs so you can get it on the computer with a $50 capture card rather than ponying up the $$$$$ for a digital camera, which i hear eat batteries pretty bad (heard that awhile back though...). it also has the fold out LCD screen which is very nice, and so far it's been fairly mud proof [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

I was looking into these camcorders that use the miniDV's, but all of the site I've gone to don't explain it very well. I guess it's time to do it the old fashioned way and actually go to a store somewhere, so they can fill me in a little more. Then I won't have to bug you guys so much.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 02:28 AM
Mud in my Veins

ahahahahhah good luck finding somebody at the big stores that knows their arse from a hole in the ground [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

my method: take in half of what they say, then divide that by 2, and that's the truth of the matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode