any programmers here? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

any programmers here?

I've got a quick and DUMB question for you: Can anyone remind me of the unix command line to compile and run a C or C++ program. I haven't used C++ in about 3 yrs, and I'm more than a little rusty. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 04:12 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: any programmers here?

hmm been awhile for me too... I believe on most Linux setups it would be "gcc input.c -o output" then to exec it you'd do a "./output"... something like that. There is an extra switch if you want to compile c++ programs (c is usually default), if the man pages are installed on the machine you can read about it by doing a "man gcc". Good luck, hopefully you won't dump core [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Muddy! That'll help me out a lot, I just wish I knew how the fork() method worked before the test yesterday. I just had to guess on the output of the code. I guess I've become to reliant on Java

Hey, what are you studying in college? You are in college, right, or am I thinking of someone else?
post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 02:14 AM
Mud in my Veins

yes, I'm a 5th year Electrical Engineering student, with one more to go [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]

oh well, I'd rather spend 6 years studying this than 4 years studying accounting [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] i did spend one year taking worthless classes, not pursuing anything in particular, so I guess it's really just 5 years for my BSEE... that'll work [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

matteorr, what are you in for? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

oh, you just reminded me.... TEXAS: WE'RE GONNA BREAK THEM HORNS OFF THIS WEEKEND SO YOU BETTER BRING YOUR SPARES OR STAY THE HELL HOME!!! [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
<H3>WHOOOOOOOOOO PIGGG SOOOOOOOOOIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!</H3>
(sorry for the rant, i'm getting hyped [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img])
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2003, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

I'm currently in my 5th semester out of 7 that I need to graduate with a B.S in C.S. (like the way that rhymes [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ). I know what you're probably thinking now... What's a comp sci major doing asking a simple programming question? The answer is, at Ok State we don't really learn a lot of useful programming languages. We learn a lot of dead languages to teach us the theory of programming so we can pick up on new languages within around a week or two, so I get confused on how to compile all these different languages. I find it a really boring way to learn, but very helpful for an ever-changing field.

BTW, anyone that's an enemy to texas is a friend of mine! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 10:52 AM
Veteran

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
We learn a lot of dead languages to teach us the theory of programming so we can pick up on new languages

[/ QUOTE ]
Uuugghhh!!
They aren't still teaching COBOL and RPG II are they? [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I hope not:

Seriously though, what kind of stuff are you doing?
I have been in IT for 17 years now(operations, not programming) with mainframes (MVS, VSE) , midrange (all the *ix's) and PC's (all M$ Windows) and it seems like Linux/Unix/AIX is the next wave. Everyone from small companies to big corporations are (finally) starting to figure out that Windows is not stable enough to trust with "business critical" applications.

I'm starting to ramble, but I am curious about the "dead languages" you're being taught

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 03:50 AM
Mud in my Veins

The IT type majors over in the business school here do have to learn COBOL in at least 2 courses! I don't know if it's required, but in the CS dept there is a course that covers all the old languages as more of a survey class, such as fortran and pascal. The main emphasis is of course on assembly, c, and c++... and all the new-age stuff like HTML and graphics after that. I enjoy programming, but not enough to be a CS major! It hurts my head after awhile [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

They taught classes like pascal, fortrash...I mean fortran, Cobol, and some more obscure ones like ADA,SAS, ML, MIPS ("assembly" language). We actually do have java in both cs1 and cs2 classes and a c and c++ programming class. We also have one for unix programming too. Out of those, I don't know which all I will take. I think at this point c, and c++ are the only ones left I have to take. I have gotten java, ML, and MIPS out of the way.

We actually have an online flow chart of our major requirements:

http://www.cs.okstate.edu/programs/f...2001_frame.htm
and
http://www.cs.okstate.edu/programs/F...2004_frame.htm

Just think, all of this to be a database administrator. I think I went a little overboard. Oh well, the more you know the more job security you have.

Of course we also have a MSIS department that teaches visual basic and SQL and probably HTML too and who knows how many other classes.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 01:34 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Java is pushed real hard here at MTU... pretty much because we have a partnership with Sun. I think CS majors only take one or two C classes.

Java is a POS. It is bloated. All the "niceties" of Java can be found in C/C++. You can write ****ty Java so that it actually is platform independent but then it is so bloated and slow that it's unbelievable.

C# has more potential than Java and Java has been around a decade. Now isn't that just scary.

If you want proof of Java's inferiority to just about everything just go find something that is written in Java that is in enterprise use today... I wish you luck.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

I use it just for the mere fact that its what I really learned on. I started on c++, but didn't get too involved (I was only a high school junior at the time). It pisses me off that to make a normal exe you might as well just forget about java. But I try not to "program" that much anyway, I'm more into the web development / web programming anyway. I found that after knowing java, PHP is SO easy to use. The only time I actually program is when I have a programming assignment due, and that really takes all the fun out of it for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode