Re-loading windows????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Re-loading windows?????

Hello Folks,

Anybody know where I can get directions to dumping my hard drive and reloading Windows? My PC is awl fukkd up with a virus, JAVA_BYTVERIFY.A, and I've done everything in my limited wisdom to get it working properly again, with no luck. Housecall, Norton, Ad-ware, nothing has worked [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

I've never had to restart from scratch again, so any directions, how tos, or advice would be mucho appreciated. I'm running a P3/550 and Windows ME.
Yes I know, everybody hates ME, but its worked the very best for me for the last three years, and I have no complaints. Its just time to do some cleaning, there is sooo much krap on my HD, I'm sure I'm due.

Also, any info on what Windows upgrades I WILL need, and which ones I won't. If I have to download all the ME patches and upgrades, it'll take me two days.

TIA

Rembrant [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 10:59 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Re-loading windows?????

One thing I figured out about computers after fiddling with them for the last 10 years is that after a hard drive has been in use for 3-4 years, it starts getting noisy and slow. With prices on huge HD's as low as they are, I'd buy a new drive, format it, put on Windows (preferably not ME but whatever [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) then copy your critical files to it. Between the fresh windows install and the new drive, the system will have quite a bit more snap to it [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

What exactly do you need to know? Do you have the install CD or did it come pre-loaded? It's possible to get certain operating systems off certain file sharing programs, but that's all I'm saying on that. It seems fair to me though if your system came with an OS and they gave you no means to reinstall it, which they usally don't. One nice thing about putting a newer OS on an older machine is that instead of digging through bins looking for ancient driver disks, XP usually has them already on the cd and it will automatically setup all the drivers for you [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Hey Muddybronco,

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
What exactly do you need to know?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've just never started from scratch before, and have no idea what to do. I went on the net and found some ME loading directions here and there, but they don't really seem all that complete. Do I really need to make a boot disk with a floppy?
I bought my PC from a shop that put it together, piece by piece, you could choose whatever you wanted.
This is what I have: Windows ME CD, Sound Blaster CD for my sound card, Tyan CD for my mother board, and thats it. One of the things I was worried about was the driver for my Surecom ethernet card, I don't remember if the cable guy had a disk or not.....I called and they said just drop by on Tuesday and they'd give me the driver on CD.

I have no issue with backing up all the files I want, I'll just burn themk all to CD, just pictures and music really, not much more. 20 Gig HD is only about 1/2-2/3 full.
I've got the drivers for other stuff like my Camera program, etc, no thats no problem.

I just needed the very basic directions, on how to wipe out the HD, and re-load ME in there, so I can start over. Its just the first step I wanna take, if my PC doesn't smarten up after that, I'll have to take more drastic measures...like replacing items, etc?

I hate to ask how to do this, I program industrial computers at work all the time, installing the drivers, firmware, etc, on PLCs, servo drives, keypads, and screens, etc. But I've never had to touch my PC.

Thanks for any ideas you can give me.

Rembrant
post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 01:16 PM

You'll need the bootdisk. You can get the OEM image from WWW.BOOTDISK.COM . Make sure you make it on an uninfected machine and write protect it. Test it to make sure it works. Don't use bootdisk yet, start ME and go to a command prompt and run FDISK. Delete the partitions. Reboot the computer and you should get a message saying no operating system found. Reboot again using the new bootdisk and select CD ROM support. Put the ME CD in and run the setup program. Follow the prompts from there on. BTW make sure you have the CD Key, you'll need it durring the install. I do agree with Muddybronco though, dump ME and get XP Pro it's a big improvement.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 11:26 AM
Veteran

1. Before you do anything, make the boot disk and/or emergency recovery disk

2. I would use a program like Norton's Ghost to make an image of the HD before formatting just in case there is trouble. That way you can at least go back to exactly where you're at right now (virus and all).

3. If you still have the install.exe files from things like Adobe Reader, WinZip or any other utilities that don't come with Windows...Save them, it will save a lot of download time

4. Go to Belarc.com and get the free download "Belarc Advisor" that will give you a profile of your system. Print the results of that and keep it around for reference, it may come in handy if you need to search for drivers

5. MAKE SURE YOU CAN READ YOUR BACKUPS. Sorry, didn't mean to get loud but I just burned myself on this one. ( I found out that my Ghost disk was no good after I wasted the MBR)

Loading Windows itself is pretty easy, mostly just click "next". The little things like Windows and anti-virus updates, and getting caught up with all the other updates that you have forgotten you did in the past 3 years that starts to get annoying.

I'm sure I left out plenty, but that's just the list of most of the stuff I remember.
Good luck [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 03:57 AM
Mud in my Veins

If your ME cd is bootable and your machine will boot from it, then you don't have to make a boot floppy. You could delete the current partition but it's not necessary as the ME install will format it anyway. Try booting the cd first before you do anything else, and if that works then, like these guys say, it's pretty obvious from there. Don't overlook stuff like your web "favorites", email files, and custom files you've creating using any software packages. Most ethernet cards are based on the Realtek 8139 chip, so it's possible that windows already has the driver as I know some Surecom cards use this chip. If you can get on their site, download the driver ahead of time then put it on cd so that you can at least get online and get any other drivers that you lack.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 05:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Hi Rem,

What exactly did you do with Norton? This Trojon virus is fairly easy to remove.

The following instructions pertain to all current and recent Symantec antivirus products, including the Symantec AntiVirus and Norton AntiVirus product lines.

Instructions:

Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP).
Update the virus definitions.
Restart the computer in Safe mode or VGA mode.
Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as Trojan.ByteVerify.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...yteverify.html

Are you sure you've tried the removal process? Restoring data sucks!!
Gnarls
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Hey Gnarls,

I guess right now it would be no problem.....but six monthes ago, or whenever it was that I had that virus, Norton didn't recognize it, I found it using an online TrendMicro scan......but when I went into safe mode, I could not run the online software to clean the virus.....and Norton didn't even know it was there at the time./..obviously they've recognized it since then.....sucks to be me...LOL.
Anyhow, I went ahead and dumped the HD and reloaded Windows....been working OK ever since.

Cheers,

Cory
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 09:33 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Hi Rem,
Ok.. yeah I was lurking around and didn't notice the date [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] on the post. I have recently been helping some friends and business associates with viruses and was curious about the one you mentioned.
Gnarls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode