Vehicle Registration/Inspection and Residency Qs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2003, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Vehicle Registration/Inspection and Residency Qs

I just got my state inspection today, the usual 12.50 annual thing. it got me to thinking...next June I'll be moving to WA. now, I fully intend to keep my truck registered here in Tx(love the state...kickazz! and love the laws). So, I'll just keep those registration notices coming to my parents address here in Tx and send in my fee every Nov. like all the Novs before.

But what do I do about state inspections? Obviously, I cannot drive down to Tx just for an inspection sticker. What state's laws do I abide by then? Can I let my Tx state inspection sticker lapse without any consequences from other states, WA in this case? Or am I suppose to get a state inspection from WA? Will WA even inspect my truck if its registered in Tx?

I'm just thinking ahead on this stuff. Any info would be great. I'll probably be getting a new truck in the next couple of years, and I'd (like to/want) buy from Tx and register here too. Thing is, I might not be living in state. btw, all this moving junk is brought about by becoming a military dependent(hah, nice word), so, that might completely annul any rules....yes? no?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2003, 05:47 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Vehicle Registration/Inspection and Residency Qs

You can usually renew by mail, regardless of where you live.
But, if Texas requires you to show a safety inspection prior to renewing, then you have a problem.
A safety inspection in Washington will not be adequate for the Texas DMV. If Texas doesn't need to see a safety inspection prior to renewal, you're good to go. Just let it lapse.
And to top it off, Wa may have laws for that. Hawaii for instance, requires a safety inspection on all cars, regardless of what state their registered in.
Also, find out what the Texas rules on drivers license for military are. Many states will let you go around with an expired license, provided you are military (or dependent) and live in another state.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2003, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Tx only requires proof of insurance and a valid driver's license. So, a lingering inspection would not be a problem.

Wa rules are fairly lenient, as far as truck modifications go. They're very similar to Tx, as far as I know. I do need to read up on things just to make sure.

Tx and military - I do need to read up on that too, but as far as I know, a valid military ID suffices. so an out of state D.L. can be allowed to expire.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2003, 07:20 PM
Can't Get Enough

You going with your Fiance/new hubby? If i remeber correctly he was air force right? I don't think military personel and dependents have to worry about state inspections for the registered state if residing in another state. WA might require you to get a WA state safety inspection, but they also might require you to register your vehicle there. I have never had my truck out of TX, so i am not sure what other states require. My car has Ohio state registration and i am required to do a TX state inspection, and a Border town Emissions test.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 12:03 AM

As long as your husband to be uses Tx as his home of record you shouldn't have a problem. States waive inspection requirements for registrations on vehicles owned by servicemen and their dependents until the vehicle is physically back in the state. Then you usually get 7 to 10 days, depending on state, to get the inspection done when you get back instate. That said, make sure you have a copy of your husbands orders and your dependent ID on you while driving instate until you get the new inspection done. The beginning leave date or reporting date are used to determine the begining of the grace period to get the inspection done. Of course this is all dependent on your husband maintaining Tx as his home of record. If he doesn't, the vehicle will have to be reregistered in whichever state he uses. BTW you will have to change the address on the registration to the address he uses as his home of record.

Disclaimer: It's been over 15 years since I've had to deal with this stuff. So regs and laws could have changed. The Public Information Officer on any military base should be able to give you the current procedures for any state.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

desertrat, he is Navy. i know that his D.L. has been expired for a while, years actually, but since he is A.D., his D.L. didn't matter. he has his car registered in Tx, and still does(as far as I know, need to ask him again to make sure). currently, he's been in WA for 5mths.

BigDuckie, i heard that I'd have to change my registration over to WA, but i'm not sure if that is dependent upon him and his registration/residency. i'll keep checking though.

we both want to keep our vehicles registered here in Tx
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2003, 09:45 AM
Can't Get Enough

Shorts,

Like I said, you should be able to keep your Texas registration. The only issue will be the inspections.
I had my truck registered in CA, but because I'm out of state I didn't have to smog it. But, since it was over $150 to register in CA, and only $35 here, I changed to LA.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 07:27 PM
Old Hand

shorts
you and him can keep them registered in tx and wa cant do anything about the inspection because your from tx (in other words you only have to obey bye the tx state laws reguarding inspections) they might be able to give you a ticket but it wont stand up in court because you dont have to register the car in wa being in the milatary hope this helps andy
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 11:18 AM

Not quite sure on how Washington deals with military in the state, I just send them my $33.50/yr and they send my new registration to wherever new place in the U.S. I'm living. If I remember correctly Washington actually has an agreement with a few states to register out-of-state vehicles for the individual's home state. Your best bet would be to call these guys, the Department of Licensing Military Branch Office in Lakewood, WA (it's who I call to update my address and such), their number is 253-588-7786. Hope this helps.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 12:27 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Hmmm I'm not sure, but last time I was in washington which was in 2000, there was no inspections. smog, emissions etc... Not sure on the out of stat reg. stuff... As far as laws on trucks.... lol we dont got any up there you can lif it high as you want, the only thing you might have to do is get mudflaps.... When we had a K5 blazer back when I was like 4 years old, my mom got pulled over because it had no flaps... We never put them on and never got another notice, so he must have been bored... So what part of washington you moving too???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode