Windshield wiper blues.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2003, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Windshield wiper blues....

Hello Folks

Just wondering what y'all are runnin' for wipers, and what works well. Its not an issue with my truck very often since I installed the 33's, but my car, anything over 60 mph, and the wipers cease to work....the wind gets under them, and they don't wipe. I've tried those stupid "Aerofoil" wipers, that are supposed to not lift with the wind, but they do.
I dunno, maybe the next step is to try one of those add on springs. Any tricks out there?

Rembrant [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2003, 05:11 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Windshield wiper blues....

My d-side arm wiggles, but not sure what that's a symptom of. Think you need more force pushing it against the winshield, but for what it matters, I'm running the plain jane NAPA brand blades on the Ranger. I've used other brands with mixed success. Ran some of the Bosche high end stuff on my Blazer and they worked great, but the set I put on my Ram left this big spot right in front of my face untouched. Switched blades and still the same thing. Went to a set of NAPA blades after a few weeks and the problem was solved. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2003, 06:39 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Have you tried bending the arms in towards the windshield any? I have never had any probs with my 97, but some of my older trucks were helped with that. I think the arms start working thier way "out" from blade changes etc. Anyway, give it a try and see. Need some more contact..... bend it some more. It usually only needs a little.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2003, 08:28 PM
Mud in my Veins

Rainex! My brothers all swear by that stuff but I've yet to use it mainly because power washing mud off the windshield would surely take it right off. In fact, one of them used to have a Maxima with Rainex on the windshield and he didn't have to use the wipers except in the heaviest of storms. I got 4 years of good service out of my ANCO blades that are dirt cheap at WalMart so that's what I put back on [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 07:24 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I usually use regular wiper bows and choose my blades wisely. GM's arms are almost always strong enough to ruin a set of soft blades.

Anyway, I'd run a shorter bow on the blade that tends to lift. Sometimes it only takes an inch. My Dad's 89 K1500 has 14" bows on it because the 16" ones that came on it stock lifted at around 70mph.

I run 14" bows on my truck and my blades still lift. I don't really care because I only use them to scrape off bugs. I run Rain-X year round and the only time it doesn't work is if I get anitfreeze or oil on the windshield. I like Rain-X blade refills (cut to fit kind) but I can't find them anymore. They were a lot more stiff and didn't bend over like all the ones I've got now. My arms put enough pressure on the blades to destroy those metal-and-rubber blades.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Picked up some Rainex today, I'll let y'all know how it goes. Was gunna get a new wiper, but didn't bother. For the wife's Acura CL coupe, I can get just the rubber section of the wiper at the dealer for about $5 each, first car I've ever had that you could do that.

Rembrant [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 06:54 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I like Rain-X a lot. I pretty much don't need wipers above 25mph. With my Sonoma it was 30mph and up. It makes scraping off snow and ice a lot nicer. If you don't mind running with your defrosters on cooking your eyebrows then you don't need the windshield wipers even in the heaviest of snow.

However, if antifreeze or oil gets on it the window looks like someone smeared petroleum jelly on it. Some bugs will do the same thing but if you periodically hit the windshield washer squirters it's no big deal.

Some people can't stand having Rain-X on their windshield. It kind of distracts them or something. I know my Mom can't stand it to the point where she made me take it back off one time. Before you put it on your Wife's car make sure she doesn't mind first. hehe.

Anyway, clean your windshield off first with Bon-Ami. It's what GM recommends. It works really good. Don't use Barkeep's Friend because it scratches the hell out of the glass while putting a shine on. Trust me, I know from experience. It's kind of hard to find Bon-Ami so that's why I tried Barkeep's Friend. doh.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Yeeeup, I was one of those guys that hated Rainex, I tried it on my truck a few years ago, and didn't like it, for the main reason, I was on the road alot, and I would get a bad glare at night from oncoming headlights....drove me nutz.
Did I mention I wear glasses when driving, and can barely see at night in the rain [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].
I think I'll try it again though, this time its the work beater '91 Civic, which I really only drive to and from work, in the daylight, so it should be fine.
As for the wife's acura, I wouldn't even think of it, or mention it to her, right now she is happy with the wipers, so I'm not messin with that [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img].
Thanks folks.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 09:13 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Ah, yes. Glasses. I wore glasses up to a year ago. I got disposable contacts and I'll never go back. The fruits of having no glare and clear peripheral vision is nice. It costs me around $80/year for them because the insurance company only pays for about half what they cost. I now have to wear safety glasses when I do stuff but it is well worth it.

I wear the Acuvue 2s and you're supposed to change them every two weeks if you take them out at night. I run them until they get dirty which is usually about a month. They tend to rip at about that time too. After having them in my eyes around 16 hours they drive me crazy and I have to take them out so I don't do the continuous thing.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I've got semi-craptacular vision, I usually only wear my specs to drive or watch TV, not much else.
I have to wear safety glasses at work, but they spring for prescription ones for me, and theres an endless supply of plastic ones, we're not allowed going without them, so no option. I'm so used to them, I wear 'em at home anyway, keeps the sawdust out with all the rippin and tearing I do.
I'm thinkin about trying contacts this year, I just got new regular glasses and prescription shades through the medical plan at my previous employer, and I started this job in March, with a new plan, so I'm already elidgible for a new set.
They cover $100 for glasses every two years, and $200 for contacts for the same period, either or, not both.
Maybe I'll give the contacts a try, since I've got decent glasses.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode