Doggie Pools - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2003, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

Doggie Pools

OK, this is getting old.
Fill the pool, dogs get it dirty within 5 minutes, drain the pool, fill the pool.....
You get the picture.
Anyone "construct" something a little more practical and larger?
Granted, we've got lots of water close by to take them to, but it'd be nice have something at home for them to play in.
Plus, the black dog is way too dignified for a "kiddie" pool. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1145300-pooldogs1.jpg (49.7 KB, 14 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2003, 11:01 PM

Re: Doggie Pools

Maybe you could put a drain valve out the side . Use a pvc one that has a male adpater on one end and then use conduit lock nuts to attach it through the pool . Then drop the hose in and set the fill rate equal to the drain rate ? Then the water is always being ran through the pool . If you use a hosebib you could attach a hose to the drain and use the old water to water the lawn or you could just point the runoff downhill . My two dogs are terrified of water so I dont have this problem but I hope this helps !
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2003, 11:52 PM

Or...
put an inlet and an outlet on the pool. Take the outlet, and run it through a filter for a heating system, (as thatll be big enough to pull out dirt/grass etc without killing flow,) then have it tun through a sump pump, and back to the inlet on the pool. Viola! Instant circulated kiddie pool!

But that doesnt really answer your question.
If you see anyone getting rid of their old pool liner, snag it! Id bet you could make up something using some 2x8s (as a frame,) and the floor from the old liner. Wouldnt be huge, but itd be bigger than that kiddie pool
post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2003, 06:21 AM

Yup, I remember that, my wife dragged home an old pool like that last year, except there was duct tape all over it...and it wouldn't hold any water [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. The second problem, is that we have three Basset Hounds, and only one and a half of them actually like water [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]....and they are notoriously poor swimmers.....because of their bone mass, and their short legs, they are actually too heavy to be able to propell themselves any distance.
Anyhow, heres a pic of Tiggus, the one that loves water, just coming out of Hatchet Lake right near my house, just after a short swim. Later.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2003, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Pooh-Bah

and only one and a <font color="red">half</font color> of them actually like water [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
That "half" Basset Hound cracks me up! [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Hey everyone, thanks for all the suggestions.
<font color="blue">Reptillikus</font color>, that frame with a liner is a good idea.
I was a little unsure of what sort of pump system to run. Didn't think about using a sump pump. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
And, the fact that we're basically sitting on a pile of bedrock doesn't help the "excavation" factor. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2003, 09:24 PM

We have a soft tub hot tub that the dogs have now completely taken over. I have to put new filters in all the time but it stays pretty clean. The wife won't use it anymore but I still hop in with them. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I think maybe my dogs are a little spoiled. On a serious note it really works great for my pup that has arthritis. We got ours pretty cheap used.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 12:05 AM

Doggie hottub huh ?? And I thought with my dane having his own couch he was spoiled !
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 02:42 PM

Go to a livestock supply store. When I was a kid my sister and I used to swim in a 6' diameter aluminum horse trough. about 2.5' deep. The aluminum ones have a drain in the bottom that a regular garden hose hoos up to. Now days they have big plastic ones too. I'm sure they probably even have some kind of filtering system that they use to keep the water safe for the animals to drink, that would probably work for this. Only thing is you'd probably have to build some kind of steps or ramp to get them in and out. I know my father is starting to look at doing something like this for his new lab pup.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 02:20 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i was thinking a filer also. One in particular.. It's a Diatom filter used for aquariums. ihad one on my Fresh and my Saltwater Aquariums. It uses Rare Earth or Diatamaciuos (sp?) earth for it's filter media. also used for Pools. you can pick them up from any GOOD pet store. Costs about 8x more than your doggy pool, but filters the hell out of the water and fast too. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode