Lookin to buy a Jeep, god, pleese h-alp me? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2003, 12:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Lookin to buy a Jeep, god, pleese h-alp me?

I ain't rich, my old civic got crashed to death (frame bent)

I want to buy a little jeep now... or not a suv, but I like to find something that is like a small compact truck that doesnt eat too much gas

I need something that can do grunt work and be abused...
I am just gonna be hoppin around in the city mostly
I need some recommendation...

your favourite/perference?
a trusty brand, tips on find'in good jeep?

something around 10-20,000? [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2003, 01:40 AM

Re: Lookin to buy a Jeep, god, pleese h-alp me?

"Hoppin around the city mostly"
No offense,but maybe youre in the market for another civic [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
You want a good compact truck?Go toyota.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2003, 06:26 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
my old civic got crashed to death (frame bent)

[/ QUOTE ] I guess you mean unibody, theres certainly nothing resembling a frame under a Civic [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

like a small compact truck that doesnt eat too much gas

[/ QUOTE ] If you're looking for a 4x4/SUV that gets good gas mileage, or anywhere near a Civic, they don't exist. I also have a Honda Civic that gets 41 mpg highway, and a Toyota 4x4 truck with 33" tires on it that gets 18-20 mpg (mpg was in the high 20's with stock 225 tires on it). My wife and I sold a '95 Jeep YJ/Wrangler last year (it was her daily driver), and it was mostly driven around the city. This bone stock Jeep, when perfectly tuned, got 17 mpg on the highway, and worse around town. It was a 4 cyl auto, probably worse case scenario, but I've never heard anybody say the 4.0 l, nor a 258 were easy on gas. I also know a girl with a '98 4cyl TJ with a 5 spd, and although she gave me no mpg numbers, she constantly complains about it. My old man has a Toyota Tacoma 4x4, w/ 4cyl, 5spd, and baby tires....he's hit 31 mpg with it on the highway, which is about as good as any 4x4 would ever do, and its extremely reliable, but beware, its also gutwrenchingly sluggish.....he has to push it up the hills.

I need something that can do grunt work and be abused...

[/ QUOTE ] What kind of "grunt" work do you need to do? The problem is, well, Jeeps are great at being 4x4s, but terrible at being anything else. If you needed to haul stuff, then you'd also need a little trailer, which may be a pain in the city.

Of course I'm going to recommend a Toyota truck, but I have one, so my opinion is slightly biased [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. If you don't need a 4x4, then don't buy one, the added fuel costs, and repair bills....if you're used to a Civic, will be a shock [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img].
I'd go for a small/mini truck, preferrably Toyota [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img], but any brand, with small tires, and a 4 cyl 5spd....if you need something to do work. If you want a 4x4, thats small and easy on gas, then a Tracker, or a Suzuki sidekick, etc, etc, would be an idea.
Anyhow, I don't mean to sound gloomy in my reply, just trying to give you some things to think about. Good luck.

Rembrant [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2003, 09:28 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

My neighbor put his 93 TJ with a 4 cylinder up for sale yesterday. He got 24mpg before he ghetto-lifted it and put 31s on it.

The problem with any of the smaller Jeeps is that they don't have any room. With two people in the back "seat" (if you can call it that) you've taxed your quarter ton payload. A Jeep is really only a 2 passenger and a backpack kind of vehicle. The only time you can fit two people in the back seat is if they're skinny 12 year old girls without hips. Behind the back seat you have room for 3 bags of groceries.

However, a Jeep is nice because they are small. If you don't need to move anything but people and groceries they're great. You can fit in a lot of places a larger vehicle can't. Make sure you get one with a full rollbar because a hardtop on a Jeep was never meant to keep the Jeep off your head. If you think Blazers/Broncos were catastrophic when rolled over you should see a hardtop Jeep.

A 4 cylinder 93up S10 will get you around 22-26mpg. A Ranger of the same vintage will get you the same gas mileage.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2003, 05:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the output

I was considering a Jeep cause they are ... cool. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I'll just look for a civic, or a toyota truck for now...

Yay you all
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2003, 12:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you're looking for a small pick up a Toyota is pretty hard to beat.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2003, 08:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

*holds up a lead pipe*

yeah I am sure I can try!

aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrghh!!!!

*puts the pipe down in the truck bed*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode