Set me straight on Canadian Bacon.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Set me straight on Canadian Bacon....

Hello Folks,

OK, so I'm a little wigged out by people zooming by on motorcycles with no helmets on......something we're obviously not allowed to do in Canada, but I have to ask....what do you US folks consider to be Canadian Bacon?
In travelling with work, I spend a lot of time in restaurants, and the last few days, here in the US, I noticed that you can order "Canadian Bacon" in the breakfast menus.
Although I never ordered any Canadian Bacon, I did have some regular old American Bacon, and it was exactly the same as the bacon I've eaten in Canada my entire life.
I musta slept through something in history class in school...dunno....he he he.

By the way, y'all got the best ribs and steaks down here though....my belly still hurts [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Cory
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 09:38 PM

Re: Set me straight on Canadian Bacon....

I think Canadian bacon is like slices of ham that get fried.. I don't know, its just fried ham if you ask me. I like the regular bacon I've also eaten all my life.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 10:12 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Where are you at? Most states require skidlids. A lot of people wear "tophats" or "turtle shells" for helmets. All they do is make it look like you've got a helmet on because as far as I'm concerned it isn't a helmet unless it goes down to even with your chin. And an open-face helmet is what you wear on the lawnmower or something... they have no real application because you should always wear a fullface brainbucket.

Anyway, Canadian Bacon is nothing more than glorified ham. Usually it is lightly seasoned and more salty than typical ham. They don't taste the same but they look the same.

As far as you eating American Bacon in Canada you can blame that on the fact that you Canadians try to keep up with American pop culture but mask it as something else. It's easier just to call it bacon and forget it's an american thing. *poke* *poke* *jab* *jab* [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ...now back bacon, that's just... well... nevermind. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'm no fan of salt. I don't know why. My mom practically dumps it on everything she eats. I dump the black pepper on instead. I don't cook with it except for "Jane's Mixed-Up Crazy Salt" when grilling.

American Bacon isn't supposed to be salty but for about 6-8 years it was hard to find any kind of bacon that didn't try to mimic salt pork. If you've never had salt pork you aren't missing anything. I mean, it was so bad there for a while I cringed when I ate it. The same goes for ham. If it wasn't honey-smoke cured it was practically salt cured with some smoke flavor injected in it. Now it is getting easier to find some not-so-salty ham and bacon. I can actually eat it now.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Why Wrath, I had no idea you were such a conisouer of all these types of ham and bacon...he he he.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Where are you at? Most states require skidlids.

[/ QUOTE ] Indianna, and yup, they told me that there aren't many states that still allow it.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
As far as you eating American Bacon in Canada you can blame that on the fact that you Canadians try to keep up with American pop culture but mask it as something else. It's easier just to call it bacon and forget it's an american thing. *poke* *poke* *jab* *jab*

[/ QUOTE ] Well, Wrath, since I suppose you could get to Canada in a rowboat in just a few hours [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img], I'll take some pokes from ya...LOL. However, there is no such thing as "American Bacon" in Canda, at least not that I've ever seen. When I referred to American bacon, I just meant the regular old bacon, same as ours. I can assure you, we've got enough pigs up here, and that we don't have any Americanized bacon [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].he he he. OK, I'm starting to laugh now...lol... Cheers.
Thanks for all the bacon and pop culture info, I consider myself enlightened. AS for the back bacon, I agree.
Thanks wrath.

Cory [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 09:24 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

My parents have a fascination with bacon and steak...

I grew up eating bacon or sausage every freaking Sunday. We'd have steak 3-4 times a week. Let me tell you, it gets old real quick. I spent a lot of time trying to find different cuts of meat that didn't make me wish it was hamburger. I'm still not good at identifying different cuts by looking at it.

Let me tell you, I practically live on hamburger, ground beef, and chuck. I've been living at this house for almost 3 years now and I have never made myself a steak. I almost persuaded myself to have pork loin once but I ate too much of that too.

Now this rowboat to Canada hogwash... what do you think I'm going to do, go get some reefer seeds from Marc Emery and start a cannibis nation here in da UP? I guess it wouldn't be too far to row... after all there is this clown that has tried a handful of times to swim across Lake Superior to Canada and has failed every time. Only a yooper would do something so stupid. Lake Superior is up to 37 by the way!

[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] And people wonder why americans don't take Canada seriously... it couldn't be because of the Cannabis Crusaders trying to run for Mayor of Vancouver could it? [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 10:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think that they call it Canadian bacon because it sounds better than little pieces of fried ham.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 10:35 AM

HEHE, windsor dudes hate americans, cause they all go over thier for the 19yrold drinking age and scoring on chicks, just a half hour away from me. and superiors a cold ass lake that takes down freighters (fitz gerald) in bad weather then again, anyone whos seen huron in windy conditions would rather be in the ocean.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2003, 04:53 AM

i was watching a show on the Discovery channel yesterday and they showed why Canadian bacon is different than American bacon................ normal bacon comes from pigs like this normal Yorkshire Canadian bacon comes this special breed of pig known by Canadian pig farmers as the "Chesire Yorkshire" ..... thought you might like to know these little known facts .Von Warner
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1140389-pigsmile.jpg (30.4 KB, 14 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2003, 09:31 PM
Can't Get Enough

Okay then, if you order a Hawaiian pizza from Dominos, why does it come with Canadian bacon???
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 10:20 AM

Ham is from the rear leg, bacon is from the sides, and canadian bacon is from the loins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode