Lewis survives Klitschko.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2003, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Lewis survives Klitschko....

Hello Folks,

Did anybody get a chance to see this fight? I'm working on the road, and I couldn't find a pub or a bar anywhere that was showing it. Just wondering how it was. Thanks.

Rembrant [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Lewis survives Klitschko; cut results in TKO
By Tim Dahlberg / The Associated Press Los Angeles - Lennox Lewis was exposed as an aging fighter Saturday night by Vitali Klitschko, but retained his heavyweight title after a cut stopped the big and tough challenger after six brawling rounds.

An entertaining fight ended on a sour note when the ring doctor ordered the fight stopped after the sixth round of a fight that Klitschko was winning on all three scorecards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2003, 01:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Lewis survives Klitschko....

I seen the high lights on the news this morning. I didn't think the cut was all that bad. They stop fights for far to little now days. If they would have let the fight go the out come very well might have been differant.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2003, 03:41 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Yeah, it's like basketball. You look at a guy wrong, he falls down, and the ref goes ballistic. When I was a little kid and the "Fab Four" wasn't yet in existance basketball was a lot more rough.

So was boxing.

And wannabe wrestling.

And football.

The only thing that has stayed true to the way it "used to be" is female volleyball and hockey. Oh, and youth sports has gotten worse--between parents.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2003, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Well, as much as I like Lewis, I figured he was gunna have a hard time with this guy, Lewis is 6'5" 250+ and has usually done really well with the 6 foot crowd, but this guy was 6'7", so definitely a little more of a challenge for him. Besides, Lewis is now 37, and in his line of work, thats retirement age.
However, I did get to talk to a guy today that watched it, and he said it was a "good" fight, and that there was lotsa action, unlike a lot of heavyweight fights where they get tired after two rounds and stand around leaning on each other for the rest of the fight.
Thats why most folks prefer the lighter-weight classes, theres more action.

Rembrant [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 11:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think Lewis is OK he's definately not one of the all time greats, but he at least is a good role model for kids. Lewis doesn't go out and get arrested for stuff like some of the other previous heavy weight champs have.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2003, 11:07 AM

Time for a rematch. Ya can't keep a Ukrainian guy down for long. Hell, I got into a fight on the weekend too (well, I was attacked - he clipped me when I was turning around) - mine went pretty much the same way though - got some nice cuts from the guy's ring on his hand. If you thought I was ugly before, well you oughta see me now.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 12:28 PM

Post a pix of your busted up face. We all love to see that kind of Sh!t...... [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 12:49 PM

Unfortunately for you guys, it's not busted up - just scratched a bit on one side from the guy's ring.

It's probably the last time I'll VOLUNTEER my time as "security" at a local event. Nice town I live in [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2003, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

Well Mark,

Glad to hear you're OK, I sure hope you gave him a couple of lumps to think about overnite, or a nice black eye to remind him of stupidity for a week or so [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I did a security guard stint for several years...(one week annually) at a large exhibition which was commonly poluted with drunk farmers and red-necks. It was pretty straight forward and for the most part, trouble free...but there was always a smart-ass every year, that thought he was Rocky Balboa.
Something you have to be careful with in this kinda stuff is liability issues, which is one of the reasons I never did any other work as a door-man/bouncer, despite a couple opportunities over the years. It just opens you up for legal retaliation from a scorned drunk.
There was a guy in my hometown, working as a doorman at a dance, punched a guy in the head who was giving him grief...(I don't know the full story BTW), and he got sued, and is paying for it for a long, long time.
Sorry, but from the "for what its worth department", I had to say my piece.

OH, and I also forgot to mention, that when I was young and stupid, I probably would have done the bouncer thing, and it wasn't the liability issues that bothered me back then, it was the fact that I'd have to commonly be throwing all my buddies outa the bar [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. Oh well.

Cory [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2003, 11:03 AM

Thanks, Cory.

He didn't manage to get any lumps - he sucker punched me as I was turning around, I grabbed a fistfull of his shirt as I was spinning, and I tripped over a chair and I took him down with me - he took a few more sucker punches as I tried to get up, and everyone jumped in at that point - I still had him by the shirt, and it took a half dozen guys to get me to let go of him (I have bruises on my arms where they were pulling on me). I hardly felt any of the guys punches (if you don't know how to punch, you shouldn't get into bar fights - it makes you wonder about the guy's emotional stability), but he was wearing a ring that scratched the side of my face.

Anyhow, when are you coming out for a visit? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode