Street racing, again - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2003, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Street racing, again

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/6085637.htm

OK, a 17 year old kid driving a C5. Yeah... where were his parents at? In my opinion the parents should go to jail. Especially the Dad since he's a police officer.

"Hey Daddy, can I take your Vette out tonight?" You'd think the Dad would know better.

If the kid didn't have his own car he should've been DRIVING A FAWKIN' MINIVAN. Not a C5. Of course, it's "The Fast and the Furious" fault.

You can tell the two writers are retards. First they give quotes but don't say who said them.

And of course they got the hazards wrong. When you flip on your hazards it means you won. Not that you wan't to freaking race.

It's not as if Florida law is gay enough as it is. Right now it is entirely upon the Officer's judgment as to whether you were drag racing. They can even cite you for it if there is no one else around for you to race!

In Michigan they just use "excessive acceleration" to give you a ticket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2003, 10:56 PM

Re: Street racing, again

No one takes responsibilty for their actions anymore . I agree that the parents should not have let a young kid run around in a vette . I am sure they will try and sue the producers of the movie . This litigation happy society of ours is hamstringing the nation ..... sad that he died but its more sad how he died .
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2003, 11:30 PM

People who blame movies for these problems piss me off! Its all a bunch of [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] Like MTVs Jackass, some dumbass kid does somethin off the show, gets hurt and his parents sue the show. IF the kid doesnt have the common sense to not do the things, he shouldnt watch the show. Its parenting that is going to hell in some degree if you ask me, i know im only 18 and prolly shouldnt be talkin to much about the subject. But what about back when all the "Smoky and the Bandit" movies were running, or "The Dukes Of Hazard", were people out ramping their cars over creeks and stuff, wrecking their cars and sueing the show back then, or were they just smart enough to not do it...
Personally my mom has a 99 Regal its a fast car, and I have been allowed to drive it about twice on weekends with my friends, now street racing isnt a huge thing around here so i havent done that. going out on a empty blacktop going 75-80 is one thing, street racing is another. your not gonna see me sliding sideways around corners and hittin the "NOS" buttons to go super fast...
ill just hop off the ole soapbox now i guess
post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 04:55 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
what about back when all the "Smoky and the Bandit" movies were running, or "The Dukes Of Hazard", were people out ramping their cars over creeks and stuff, wrecking their cars and sueing the show back then, or were they just smart enough to not do it...

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point Drey [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]. Its silly really, to wanna blame the movies. IMHO, maybe they should raise the age limit for driving "fast" cars, but I guess the kid would be just as dead if he hit the lamp post in an old automatic Geo Metro.
And besides, all this ricer~esque street racing was big long before The Fast And The Furious came out anyway, so how could they blame it?
Rembrant [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 06:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

less than a week ago, a 16 yr old (end of may bday) at 2:20 am with 4 ppl in the car 16, 14, 13, 12 (ages) was going 100+ in a mazda suv that his parents didn't know he took out. he apparently was racing another vehicle and cleared out a large section of trees and whatnot. article in the paper is blaming hte parents for not knowing where he was, but if he went to bed at 930 like he was supposed to, then if he snuck out how is it his parents fault?

edit, now 2/4 have passed on. one on impact and one in the hosp. 2 are still in guarded or critical condition. this occured 2 days before graduation ceremonies.

theo/stuper
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 07:10 AM
Can't Get Enough

Parents are always trying to blame others instead of taking responsibility for being sucky parents.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 07:38 AM

the dad was a cop! thiese kids do not know how to drive, they are raised in a generation without big/cheap horsepower. my 1st car was a 72GS with a 1970 stage1 350 in it, that i paid 1200 for.(that was because my dad wouldnt let me get the 80 malibu with the built 400) i know guys that have "street raced" all thier lives, but now everything is careless, too many cars in the areas whare people are racing at. i wouldnt get caught dead doing that anymore. i will raise my kids to drive, the same way i learned, like on dirt roads, full throttle, learning how th car reacts to spinning out and recovering and keeping calm. NO 17 yr old should be driving a car with that kind of potential without going to driving school or equivelent. a corvette is very unforgiving when you lose control thiers a finer line in a sports car, you cant "feel it" untill its too late and your facing the otherway. IDIOT PARENTS
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 10:42 AM

All the litigation makes me sick. With the Lion's club, we are looking at removing some playground equipment because we are scared that if a kid falls off and bumps their head, we will get sued (it happens!). And now there are a bunch of kids that crawl on the roof of a small building we have in one of the parks, and we have to devise a way of keeping them off - why is that OUR responsibility? And now with the fire dept, we are going to help with a new playground that's going up - thank God I'm not responsible for that one.

People make mistakes and get hurt/killed. Has always happened, and always will. Often no-one's fault but their own.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 04:24 PM

i will raise my kids to drive, the same way i learned, like on dirt roads, full throttle, learning how th car reacts to spinning out and recovering and keeping calm.

[/ QUOTE ]
PFunk, thats exactly how i was taught to drive, out in a bean feild and pasture after harvest in a 83 Manual S10. Heck my dad encoraged me to do donuts and try controled slides. It all just makes you a better driver. I would be willing to be most Off-Roaders and Dirttrack racecar drivers are some of the best drivers around, because we really need to be able to "feel" our vehicles.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 08:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

...a bunch of kids that crawl on the roof of a small building we have...

[/ QUOTE ]

lol this reminds me of something, there was this (at the time) gigatic globe at the big park in town that i grew up in (note: not this country [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]) , it was easy 30' tall (including stand) and us being kids would clib it, but it scared the crap out of you because it was a pipe sceleton, so you could see straight down, and it was deacent down, i have never seen a parent stop any of the kids from climbing on to the very top of it, just the opposite, some would encourage, i was pissin my pants lol! but i finally made it (scared of hights i was lol, good times), but the mentality there was different too, basicly do what you wana do, if you screw up its your problem, if you tried to sue like here youre arse would be laughed out of the building (and then a smack for being a tard).
ever climbed on to the roof of a small enclosed power station? now that required some innovative thinking. zzzzzzzzzzzz it went lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode