Which One Should I Get? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 04:44 PM
gemiller

Which One Should I Get?

I am only 16, but within the year, or upcoming one, I am going to sell my little pimped out 92 geo tracker, and get either a jeep cj, or wrangler.. or a toyota pick up, or tacoma.. Which would you recomend, and which one I get, it doesn't matter, they are getting lifted, and some mudding wheels on it. Going to start going to Paragon Adventure Park, PA. When I get it, so just post your opinions for me, a jeep or a toyota. Or anything else, and post general prices if you could, I am only a kid [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 06:50 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Which One Should I Get?

First of all, do you want something pretty or do you not care? Can it be beat up?

I'm partial to 73-87 Chevy pickups.

However, if I were to start over and not have brand preference (or tons of Chevy-specific books and parts) I'd go with a Jeep. I'd buy either a CJ5 or a CJ7. TJs are starting to get pretty cheap. My neighbor bought a 93 strip model that looked brand spanking new (with 31,000 summer miles) for $4,000. YJs are still pretty expensive.

Of course, a Jeep is useless if you need something to haul more than a passenger and a pet.

I've never seen a driveable Jeep of any vintage for under $2000.

You can buy a 73-87 Chevy for anywhere from $1000-3000. They regularly go in reliable driveable condition for $1500-2000. It's very common to find these trucks already on there way to being wheeling rigs. Sometimes this can be a benefit and other times it can not. It all depends on what you want. You can usually find pickups and suburbans with a 14FF and Dana 60 already in them with big tires in the $4000 arena. They usually have a stout drivetrain already in them but the motor is usually the original (tired usually) and the body is beat up. However, it's already got a $1000 front axle in it and $1000 worth of tires on it. The ones around here usually already have had the gears done (usually 4.56s) and a Detroit in the rear.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 08:11 PM
Can't Get Enough

Another issue to think about, if you have to pay your own bills is the insurance cost.
Contact your insurance company to get an idea of what each type vehicle would cost you.
I'd probably go with a pick-up myself. Your still young and don't need lots of room for people. (That'll also limit the number of "bad influences" you can carry around with you)
post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 11:47 PM

I am a big fan of Samurais .Cheap to wheel and pretty capable too . You can get a running one for less than 1000.00 slap on some 29s and have fun . I run jeeps too and they require more maintenance and cost more to modify .
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 01:21 AM
Mud in my Veins

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
slap on some 29s and have fun

[/ QUOTE ]
only on a Sammi can you say that and not bust out laughing [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]

I know it's hard to do the smart thing when you're 16 (I have trouble at 22 [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) but if you're going to get off the asphalt on a regular basis then a dedicated trail rig and 2wd tow vehicle is a very nice setup. Bumming rides to the parts store to replace a seal covered in 15 pounds of mud is only fun for so long... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

A well-equipped motorcycle could probably pull a Samurai to the trail and they are cheap so they are the obvious choice for a dedicated trail rig.... [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 07:21 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Haha, use the Samurai to haul the street motorcycle to the woods and ride the street bike in the woods.

I have a hard time taking Samurais seriously. All 42hp. "big" tires are 29s (235x75r15 pizza cutters) and "huge" tires are 31s. Get to 31s and the things can't even get out of their own way.

It takes a lot of money to make it as serious of a trail vehicle as an extended shackle Jeep with 31s.

Don't get me wrong, there are impressive Samurais out there. However, look at how much money has been thrown at them and how SEVERELY underpowered they are.

I've only been in the woods with one once. Every time I turned around I was dragging the fscking thing through the "difficult" spots that the S10 Blazer on el-baldo 31s and Pathfinder that was ahead of me just motored through. It had 30" or so TSLs on it and still couldn't play with the S10s.

Someone is better off starting with *gasp* *choke* *vomit* a Toyota than a Samurai.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 03:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Because of you're age I guessing that money is a big concern. Usualy is at that age unless you're lucky and you're parents are helping you out with this purchase. With that In mind I would say that I would be most comcerned with getting the best vehicle I could find and not be concerned with the brand that it is.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 11:39 PM
Old Hand

Starting out you'd probably be better off with the Toyota, they are tough, durable and reliable. Their engines run forever with little maintenance and most common replacement parts are reasonable. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

When it comes to Jeeps, remember what it stands for
J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket

That aint no joke, They will "Dollar you to Death" [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
If you decide on the Jeep, unless you really like to work on things at the least opportune moment I'd stay away from CJ's. Stay away from early YJ's with carbs and the dreaded Puegut (sp?) tranny. Unless you live in place that's completely flat, stay away from the 4 Bangers too. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

With that said I wouldn't trade my Jeep for anything. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

Good Luck with whatever you choose [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 01:35 AM
Mud in my Veins

for the price of a decent Yota you could buy a Sammi, swap to 4.3L v6, and add d44 axles. it would be the ultimate backwoods beater [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
An EFI Yota with a swapped in solid axle would be nice too [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 10:16 PM

I have jeeps and sammis . A sammi is cheaper to build . And requires less maintenance I have less than 3500$ in each of the two sammis I wheel . I have that much in the axles and tcase under my cj . This doesnt mean I dont like jeeps . I am building a cj 6 now . I just like how my zuk wheels . Dollar for dollar you woll get more out of a zuk .And for those who say a zuk cant wheel heres a picture from the trail entrance last weekend .And yes thats a 3500 samurai .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1119436-webzpcreek.jpg (82.2 KB, 38 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode