Opinions on digital cameras - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 03:05 AM Thread Starter

Opinions on digital cameras

Well the other night my camera and a 1/2 in drive craftsman ratchet and socket set was stolen out of the Bronco. The camera was a Fuji 4900. I have been out of the loop for a year or so when it comes to cameras and was hoping to get some first hand opinions on some. I was thinking 3-5 megapixel, at least 4-5 optical zoom, lithium ion rechargable batt. I don't really want to spend more than $700 or so. Thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 08:04 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Opinions on digital cameras

I have a Sony Mavica MVC-FD75. I think it cost about $300. I went with this one because it uses standard 3.5" disks for recording. It is a little bigger than other digital cameras, but they use memory cards. Most of the memory cards cost about $30 or more, so if you go on a long trip you either have to spend mega $$, or take a computer to download your pictures on a regular basis.
With mine, I just take a $5 box of disks and am good to go.
I don't know what the megapixels are, but it takes good pictures. It has a 10x zoom, and lithium-ion battery.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 12:00 PM

I have a Hewlett Packard Photosmart 850. 4.1 megapixel, 8x optical zoom, 7x digital zoom. Has a million neat little features, as well as the ability to shoot (up to) 30 second video clips with sound. It uses scandisk memory cards, and with their 128mb card you can get about 300 pics on the low setting, and they are still big pics. Oh yeah, and i got it for about $425 [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Definitely worth the cash.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 12:22 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">I have an Olympus C5050 (5 megapixel). It has 3x optical zoom, and the capability to add other lenses via an adapter. I just recently ordered the adapter and a 1.45x telephoto lens, but haven't received it yet so I can't review *that*... I'd recommend the adapter anyhow since it'll let you use filters. I think I'm going with a polarizing filter and a UV filter just to keep on there to help protect the lens from scratches, etc...

Here's a link to a few pictures I took on my latest trip... http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290176143 Only modification I did was shrink the files a little so they wouldn't take too long to download... I can't comment much on how the program shooting mode works, since I've been using it pretty much exclusively on completely manual mode...

All the controls are in a good place, I'm happy that it takes AA batteries (I have a few sets of NIMH rechargables I use in it, lasts a decent length of time even with the big LCD display in use) since no matter where you go, you can *always* find extra batteries, and it takes 1 each CF card, and 1 either Xd or SM card at the same time. I currently have a 512mb CF card and a 256mb Xd card in it... I paid $800 for it a little while ago, I'm sure it's dropped into the 700 range or perhaps even below it if you look hard enough...

One excellent review site that I tend to use to help with decisions is www.stevesdigicams.com, seems to be a ton of info on there...</font>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 12:33 PM

I've got an Olympus D550, 3 megapixel, with optical zoom, and video. I find it great, even with the 16 meg card that came with it, I can fit about 150 pics on there, about 40-70k each.....good size for posting on the net. About the batteries though, well, I'm still using Duracell "Procells" in mine, and they last OK, but nothing like the re-chargables. Overall rating 3 1/2 starts out of 5, for being cheap, and easy to use, it was about $500 bills Cdn at Christmas, so should be very reasonably priced Stateside. I also retired an older model Sony with the big screen on the back, but it used the 3.5" computer disks, rather archiac, considering whats on the shelves these days, but still a great camera. When I was shopping around, I was told by more than one saleperson, that the Sony memory sticks were the most expensive to buy, if you need more space. In any case, good luck with whatever you choose.

Rembrant [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 01:07 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I recommend looking on www.techtv.com for what they suggest for cameras. They're a lot more realistic than the photography sites on the internet. It seems they always want all these features that no one but them uses when things like battery life, quality in different lighting, capacity, and ease of use are far more important to me.

I have a Visioneer MX200 I got at OfficeMax a while back for $80 out the door. It's only 2.0 megapixel but it does nice quality 1600x1200 fast and will do 2048x1536 but there is a pause while it writes. It takes SmartMedia cards and has 8MB internal. I can't complain because it works well and it's cheap enough I don't mind too much if it gets ruined or stolen. Battery life is pathetic with the LCD on but I can take around 80 pictures if I leave the LCD screen off.

My parents have an Olympus 3 megapixel camera that they bought a while ago. They paid $180 for it and it came with a 32MB SmartMedia card. They've probably discontinued the camera by now. Anyway, it's a lot better than mine and has cool things like optical zoom whereas mine only has digital zoom. The menus on theirs is pathetic though. On the LCD it only shows symbols instead of text so unless you know what the symbol means you have no clue what it does. It isn't very easy to use but it's not too bad once you get used to it. It lets you rapidly take pictures whereas mine you can't. You can take around six pictures as fast as you can press the button before you have to let it write. Mine writes between every picture.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll check out the sites you gave me. Any more opinions or ideas are as always welcome.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 09:27 PM

I have the Pentax Optio 330 RS. Its a really nice camera. 3.2MP, 3x optical zoom, li ion battery is really nice. I like the way the menu is set up, it makes it really easy to choose or set your white balance. Only beef is the 30 second videos don't record sound.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 01:47 PM

I have a fuji finepix 2800 and it is easy to use and takes great pictures . It isnt the picture quality you are after (2.0 megapixels) but you could jump up to a nicer model . My buddy runs an Olympus and it seems pretty easy to use too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode