Is solo framing possible? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2003, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Is solo framing possible?

Hello folks,

Any framers/carpenters out there? I need some ideas. Next week, I'll be pouring my concrete slab for my new garage floor, and the week after, I'll begin framing the walls.
My question is, how can I stand the walls up by myself, after I've built them on the floor, or ground? The building will be 30'x26', so I've got some big walls to contend with there.
Second of all, the trusses? My pre-fab trusses will be 4/12 pitch, and the company that delivers them, can set the whole bundle on top of the walls for me, but will I be able to manuever them into place by myself?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cory [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 09:34 AM

Re: Is solo framing possible?

boy thats a good size wall to be trying to stand up by yourself . they make wall jacks that are made for this type of stuff wall jacks andmore wall jacks. the ones i used are kinda like handy man jacks that use a 2x4 for the jacking mechanism to ride on. you should be able to jack the walls into place very easily with a minimum amount of help . if your friends are like mine i would just do it yourself. most of my friends would be more of a pain in the a$$ than anything else . as for the trusses you probably ought to call in a favor from someone to help you get them spread out and set upright . i wish i could be there to give you a hand ..hope this helps....Von Warner
Attached Images
File Type: gif 1095276-B0000224MY_01_MZZZZZZZ.gif (22.2 KB, 12 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Hey Vonwarner,
They look like a good idea, I'll have to check out Home Depot or Kent and see if they have anything like that.
And yes, sounds like we have similar friends...he he he....I like doing things all on my own anyway, most of my buddies are too lazy, or they just slow me down by not knowing what to do, or what an 1/8" is when cutting a board for me.
Second of all, when you do everything yourself, then you owe no favours to anyone.
I commonly help people do stuff, and even change my own schedule to do so, but it seems these same folks are never available when I need them, go figure.
Its kinda nice to just stand back and look at something, and say, I built that all by myself.
I'll talk to ya later man. Thanks for the info.

Cory [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 09:56 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

My parents and I essentially built our house by ourselves. It took just under 3 years to do.

The easiest way to lift it is using multiple lengths of 2x6s to support it. You lift it up high enough to get a 3' one and go all the way across the wall. A little flexing never hurt no one. And then you get up to say 5' and keep going until you get it all the way up. Ideally, it's a two or three person job. We put our walls up in sections because our house is something like 41x32. Plus, they were 6" walls. Anyway, with enough patience you can do it yourself.

Trusses are never fun unless they're short and the building isn't tall. It took a whole bunch of people to get ours lined up. However, they're like 42' long. Ours were put on our house using a hydra-hoe if I remember correctly. I don't know, I was at school. This is a two person job too. It is nice to have someone to keep those $50+ trusses from flopping around while someone else fastens them.

Anyway, a competent relative or significant other is all you need.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Hello Folks,
Well, despite wanting to do it all myself, I had to campaign for a little help in putting my walls and trusses into place....it was just gunna be too much of a task by myself, and I ran outa time [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. Now that all the heavy work is done, I'll tackle the rest of it myself, and I've already shingled the front roof section, since the picture was taken yesterday. Now that the structure is up, I can pick at the rest of it over the summer, wiring, insulating, etc, etc. A friend of mine (electrician) is working at the old Volvo plant here in the city doing a huge reno job, and he was able to get me seven year old light fixtures that were destined for the dump(4 foot, four bulb flourescents), so thats cool, it'll be well lit.
Now if I could just find a rust free 396 Chevelle to park in there, I'd be all set...he he he...maybe someday.
Later folks.

Rembrant [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2003, 09:20 AM
Veteran

You're gonna need some ramps up to the garage floor before you bring the 'velle home [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Looks good [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2003, 02:47 PM

thiers a guy by me with a huge house on lk st clair. and he has a elevator that goes to his roof, everyonce in a while youll se a car up there or a jet ski, its wild looking, and its a 2 story house,,,,talk a bout way too much money
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2003, 07:40 PM
Can't Get Enough

That's about the perfect size for a garage. I was toying with the idea of putting an "office" in the back of the garage I'm going to build someday. Nothing glamorous, just a couch, TV and fridge to pass the time.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2003, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Nothing glamorous, just a couch, TV and fridge to pass the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
He he he, its funny you mention that, it was already in the plans....a bar fridge under the work bench, an old TV up in the corner, to play the music channels if nothing else...and an old couch....maybe so I have somewhere soft to sit while I put bandaids on after I skin my knuckles [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]..j/k.

Rembrant [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2003, 11:16 PM

mmmmmmm.. big block chevelle.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode