What do you all think? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 01:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What do you all think?

Well well, I've been thinkin really hard latley about this and i think im at a point in my life where i need to start getting my sh*t together and getting a real job or career in order. Im almost positive that im going to join the Marines. My buddie just got back and he is a marine and he has told me that it was the best decision that he ever made. So i think its time for me to just do it. I almost joined right after i graduated high school but i didn't. I have been sitting on this for a couple of years, thinkin i would figure out what to do, but im not really doin much. Just takin like 2 classes every semester at a community college and working. So anyone who wants to give me some advise or whatever. I just want to think what all you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 04:43 AM

Re: What do you all think?

Well, I don't know squat about the military, but I am a major proponent of going to Community College.
I went directly to a CC right outa high school and spent two years there '91-'93, and have no regrets whatsoever.
I grew up in a university town, so guess where I was expected to go? I've had better luck with employment than most of my friends with a degree, but thats another story.
I think there is a lot of honor in having a trade, and there'll always be work if you want there to be, and theres lots of money to be made in certain areas.
You'll kinda hafta follow your heart, like what exactly makes you happy? Do you want your fingernails to be clean at the end of the day, or dirty? Do you want to be a boss or a supervisor, or just be an employee? there is so much to take into account. In any case, I wish you all the luck.

Rembrant [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 11:16 AM
LowGearMonster

If you really wanna go, then go. I mean it will toughin' you up, you'll get more respect at home, you'll have a steady job, you'll see the world. I'm debating wether or not I should join the Navy right now. I'm pretty much the same as you. All I do is work. I've been out of school for about a year now.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 11:35 AM

There's nothing wrong with trying the Marines for a couple years then trying something else afterwards - if you like the Marines, you can stay, or if you don't like it, then at least you will hopefully get some good experiences and gain useful knowledge along the way. You can always go to school after the Marines, and you can get funding for college. I've had a couple friends that were in the Canadian forces, and although the experience wasn't the greatest for either of them, they had experiences that were quite intense (both were peace keeping in the former Yugoslavia) and showed them a lot about life (and death). They both went back to school afterwards and got university degrees.

If you are interested in trying it, then go for it - you don't have to do it forever if it doesn't work out, but if you don't try it, you may wonder about it for the rest of your life.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 07:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My real goal is to work in the FBI. I have talked to a freinds dad who's an FBI agent. He gave me a couple of papers on the requirements and training envolved. Being an FBI agent is what im going to try to be so i figure i'll go to school while im in the marines, get a degree that will help my chances in getting accepted into the FBI training program. Having military background is almost nesessary for getting accepted. Thats my plan, and i hope it works!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 07:58 PM
Can't Get Enough

Take the time to visit all of the recruiters, not just the Marines. You will find a very different way of life among the services. Especially in the quality of life department.
It will be a life altering decision, so don't take it lightly. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 08:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The thing is, I have a better chance of getting into the FBI if im a former Marine. The FBI hires more men from the Marines than any other branch in the military.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 08:29 PM
Can't Get Enough

That's a bunch of bunk. You can go into any service, and if you get the right job it looks good on a resume. For example, you could join the Air Force and go into the security forces careerfield. Then you can crosstrain into the Air Force Office of Special Investigations (OSI). With that experience, it would be an easy step into the FBI.
All of the services have a special investigations division, which is basically their equivalent of FBI.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 09:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey, all im sayin is the facts. Im sure other branches have good programs and training specificaly for the FBI. But the truth of the matter is that the FBI does in fact hire more people from the Marines. I'm really not afraid of the Marines or the training. I want to go into the Marines to become a Marine. I like doing physical work and the marines is more my pace. I don't think i would fit in to well with any other branches. All of my freinds that have gone into the millitary went into the Marines. I feel that I'm the type of person that fits into the Marine lifestyle. Nothing against any other branch but, some things are just not for everybody.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 07:43 AM
Can't Get Enough

Alright. Good luck with whatever choice you make [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode