any commercial HVAC repair people here? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

any commercial HVAC repair people here?

alrighty, for those who don't know me, my name is ryan and i am currently in Kuwait keeping an errant eye out for incomming SCUDs and anything else that might fall from the sky. It is starting to warm up here and our AC unit is not working propperly. It is a York model D3CE300A50RCA. We are using cigarette butts in the contactors to make the compressors(4) and condenssors(2) engage. The thermostatic switch is engaging the blowers as it should(i think) we are trying to figure out how to get the compressors and condensors to work with the thermostat. It does blow cold air at the moment, but we would like to getthe thing to work right so it will last through the summer.

Hello to all my friends and thanks to anyone who can help us out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 08:05 PM

Re: any commercial HVAC repair people here?

ok let me get his straight you have 4 compressors and 2 condensors.do you mean condensor fans? you should have some sort of evaporator fan set up ( where the cold air comes out i believe you call them your blowers )... check and see if your thermostat has "control power" it sounds as though the secondary electrical system is not working and holding the "mag " in. hence the need for you to have to put the butts in there to hold the contacts closed ... . you should have some sort of step down transformer in the unit itself and that power should go through your thermostat and back to the contactor . when the power hits the coils it should pull the contactor( the place where you have the cig butts) in and your fans and compressor should come on until the thermostat turns the control power off .... the condensor fans should run whenever the compressors run .. otherwise there will not be enough airflow over the condensor coils to remove the heat from the freon and condense it back into a liquid . keep in touch here or p.m. me and i will help you all i can ..its the least i can do for the troops .... keep up the good work . regardless of what the media shows the masses are behind you all the way ....Von Warner [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 09:14 PM

Certified 2nd class refrigeration here, but industrial, like rink compressors, and 100 ton chillers, freezer plants, etc.(currently non-practicing [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img])
What VonWarner is saying is correct, about the system that is. They can be set up different ways, and the control power can be stepped down, or it can be on full line voltage like the small units. The only way to truly troubeshoot it, is gunna be with a multimeter, and work backwards from the contactors you're holding closed with the butts. You'll need to know all the proper voltages, but most of the units I've ever worked on have a full blown wiring schematic inside one of the panels.
If theres voltage to the coil of the contactor, and it still doesn't pull in, then the contactor is bad. If theres no voltage to it, then move backwards to the thermostat, or relay that starts them, and check for power there. Its definitely in the control circuit somewhere, cause if it was a thermal overload, or a motor heater overload, the blowers wouldn't run. I assume all the fuses are fine also. Worst case scenario, you could remove the thermostat, which will have an attached thermocouple (temperature probe), at the end of a tiny copper tube, and submerge it in water, that you can control the temperature of, and check to see if the thermostat opens and closes at the temperature its set at. remember, there will be a differential temp in between on and off. If you don't have a meter, then you should be able to hear/feel the thermostat click on and off.
Sounds like the sealed system is fine, if it will blow cold air when forced to. Well, good luck with it in any case, but FWIW, I've seen a lot of temperature controls (thermostats) crap out over the years. Let us know what you find out, and Vonwarner and I can maybe help out a bit.

Rembrant [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

You two guys are rather knowledgeable on most any subject aren't you? I printed out your replies so my guys can figure this thing out. We have another pair of AC units like ours attatched to another tent no one is living in so we are going to get some paarts from those to replace any bad ones in ours. I will let you know how this all works out. Have either of you been to HVAC-talk.com? Most of the guys there seem like decent, knowledgeable people. Later

ryan
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 05:41 PM

We aim to please [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Hope it works out for you, AC is a wonderful thing.
I haven't actually worked on that stuff myself in a while, but at my last job, we had two Trane 10 ton roof-top AC units, that were about 5 years past their life expectancy, so I got to work on them alot, replaced every motor and contactor over the course of a couple years. When I first got out of community college, I got a job as an Arena manager, thats where the 2nd class refrigeration ticket came from, it was a requirement of the job, however, it was also a big part of my training as a Power Engineer.
Besides that, I worked for a company as a technician for Industrial Laundry equipment, but the company also had a couple HVAC guys there too, so I worked with them from time to time on some "window shakers" [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].
PS: Let me know if you have any more troubles, I still swill beer with one of the HVAC guys I used to work with, and he'd be glad to give me info if I asked. Good luck.

Cory [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 08:24 AM

well i hope you guys get it going before it gets too warm over there . i spent a considerable amount of time working on the same type of industrial refrigeration systems as Rembrant, only instead of keeping ice rinks frozen, i kept fish frozen on commercial fishing boats. same sort of machines just different applications . i spent a couple of years working on residential systems in Arizona while i was in school and then for the local Sears service center. i have pretty much seen it all. let us know how things turn out or if you have any more problems you need help with ... be safe and keep your head down ...Von Warner [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 01:51 PM

by the way .. how are things going over there? i dont believe very much of what i see and hear from the media... imagine that ... if you cant say whats going on , that is fine but any news from a real soldier is better than any "imbedded" reporter will have to offer ...Von Warner [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode