Mad Max Pursuit Special...... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2003, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Mad Max Pursuit Special......

Hello Folks,
I was just surfin round the net and ended up looking at these Mad Max replica cars, and thought I'd pass it along for any other old movie buffs out there. Its an Australian Ford Falcon, its almost like an early 70's Mustang, but with Torino body lines, kinda weird, but interesting nonetheless. Now remember, this is only how the car looked in the original Mad Max movie, a few years later in "Mad Max: The Road Warrior", it was all beat up with two big fuel tanks in the trunk, and didn't look as nice as it did in the original movie. I just thought I'd pass it along, as I think it looks pretty neat. Some of you guys may have seen 'em at car shows. certainly none of 'em round here [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
the can be imported through these guys: Mad Max Cars

Rembrant [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2003, 07:49 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Mad Max Pursuit Special......

Unless I'm mistaken, Mel Gibson's ride had a supercharger that you could disengage. I always wondered how you could do that. I mean, common sense says a giant electric clutch but how do you get air through the roots without severe restriction?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2003, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Good perception Wrath, LOL,
You're right, the supercharger was a prop only, bolted somehow to the top of the engine, with a little electric motor to run it....he he he, thats a fact. If you look at the photo, you'll notice how far ahead it is, if it was really on the engine, it would be back further than that, IMHO.

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2003, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Heres a clip from the website Wrath, thought you'd find it interesting. Later.

The Blower

The supercharger is made by Weiand (pronounced "why and"). They make twisted-vane, roots-style superchargers for many after market applications. The system uses a GM 6-71 case as the base, and a Scott injector hat at the top.

On the movie car, this was all faked. The supercharger was empty and the carburettor sat inside. A small water pump was attached to the front of the supercharger to hold the drive wheel, this also moved the supercharger belt forward to clear the standard 351 water pump assembly, and the distributor has a 90 degree elbow to allow it to clear the supercharger. The supercharger belt is driven by an electric motor which is hidden by a yellow bucket in the garage scene in MM1. Weiand never had a supercharger that could be activated and deactivated. Even with huge compression it would be tough to generate 600bhp on a 351 in 1974 without rebuilding it once every couple of hundred miles.

Of course, most people building replicas have not duplicated the above convoluted setup, and have opted for a variety of different setups to duplicate the same basic effect. As long as the blower sits at the right height out of the bonnet, and the pulley spins, it doesn't matter too much what method you use to hook it all up.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2003, 08:59 PM

Thats cuz in the Road Warrior there is a HUGE gas shortage remember [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I love that movie. The Mack Semi built up like a fortress. That car is definatly cool lookin
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2003, 09:56 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I still always thought it'd be cool to have a on-and-off roots type blower. In theory you could do it with a vane blower pretty easy but since they don't start pressurizing until the RPMs are up there anyway it doesn't matter. Vane blowers are useless on off-road trucks in my opinion. They don't improve at idle.

I just always thought it'd be awesome to have a 8lb boost with the flip of a switch. Going down the road you could run your 454 without the blower and get some better gas mileage (like maybe break into the mpgs instead of gpms [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ). Then some ricerocket is next to you at a traffic light and you turn the blower on. It starts sucking so much air it practically inhales the ricer like an insect... [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] and then you launch leaving nothing but a pair of 10" wide rubber and a scared ricerocket pilot. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

OK, so it doesn't inhale ricers for breakfast. But you've got to admit it'd be awesome.

I'm still trying to figure out a way to make it part-time. An electric clutch would half to be able to hold the 63hp it requires to turn an 8-71 blower though. And then you still have to find a way to bypass the roots part of the blower.

PS: the vortech centrifigul impellar blowers are useless too.

I forgot to include an old link I found a year or two ago. It's really cool to see old stuff in laymen's terms from more than half a century ago.

http://naca.larc.nasa.gov/reports/1932/naca-report-384/
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2003, 11:01 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Are you gentlemen aware that there is going to be a 4th movie? Mad Max: Fury Road. Due to release in July 2004.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 12:11 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

That's pretty sweet... for a car. I grew up on Mad Max! I remember thinking it was cool that the other police cars had "pursuit" written on em... and then you see Max's car with "intercepter" written across the trunk. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img].

Didn't know about the sequel... even better!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 12:25 AM
Mud in my Veins

Yep, supposed to be about Max's feral (semi-wild) son. Mel/Max is supposed to only have a small part in it. I'm very eager to see it. However, I heard they delayed the work on it in Africa because of the current war. I guess it was to expensive to shoot it in Australia?[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Anyone else think the second half of the 3rd movie sucked ass? Also, if you want to really see the first movie, get ahold of an Aussie spec copy, not the dubbed version you get here in the states. No crappy dubbing, all the hard to understand Aussie-speak and accents.[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I've poked around on this site before:
http://www.aussiecoupes.com
It's the main site of the one that someone linked to above. They had/have some pretty cool cars over in Aussie. Remember over there you can still get RWD mid and full size 4 door cars with V8's.[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img][img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Also, if you want to really see the first movie, get ahold of an Aussie spec copy, not the dubbed version you get here in the states. No crappy dubbing, all the hard to understand Aussie-speak and accents.

[/ QUOTE ]
I had to think about that for a second, but I have the DVD of the original Mad Max (1979), and you can switch it to the Aussie tongue version if you like, and I wouldn't watch it any other way, I love that accent [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode