Installing a hitch - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Installing a hitch

I want to install a hitch on my 2000 Blazer. Has anyone done this? I am sure that bolting the brackets up are not t problem, but what about the the wiring to the lights? Is the wiring hard to do?

Any info would be great.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 11:50 AM

Re: Installing a hitch

you can buy a harness that plugs in between the harnesses for your taillights for like $10
thats the easiest way to do it, or you can splice...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 01:59 PM

Call up your local Uhaul (they usually have all the common harnesses in stock) to get the part number and then go to WalMart or some other place and buy it there. Usually cheaper that way.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 06:00 PM

I don't know how thick the frame is on a Blazer, but we almost busted a heavy-duty drill drilling holes for the bracketry on my truck - the drill started to shriek and smoke. If you don't have to drill holes, then it's a piece of cake.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info.

I was looking at the hidden hitch round tube and the sell them pre drilled for the Blazer. They cost about $130 and the wiring kit is another $20. Now comes the purchase and the install.

....Then I have to get new tires. It never ends.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 12:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

to Mark 4 runner: The reason your drill bit was Shrieking and smoking was because: a) Steel on steel will shriek - Laws of Phyicis ( sp ) b) Heat - with heat comes smoke - Laws of nature. A few cures to this problem. First, start with a smaller drill bit. Trying to drill a half inch hole through a hardened steel frame is easier when a pilot hole is already there. Second, Use a small squirt can with some cutting oil ( Motor oil also works in a pinch ) Keep the bit cool and they cut better ( and they will stay sharper longer ). If you REALLY want to get involved, set your drill speed to the bit size ~ Smaller bit=faster RPM ( less material to move -- Bigger bit=slower RPM ( More material to move )
When all else fails, just remember to let the drill do the work, not the person running it.
If all the holes are predrilled, one battle is already done. The hole may need to be reamed out for the bolts.
All in all, Hitches are not that difficult to put on. They do require time and can be a pain in the [email protected]@ by yourself. Get someone to help you if you can.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 02:25 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
The reason your drill bit was Shrieking and smoking was because: a) Steel on steel will shriek - Laws of Phyicis ( sp ) b) Heat - with heat comes smoke - Laws of nature.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope, it was killing the drill - the bit wasn't shrieking and smoking, it was the drill itself. It was a 1/2" hammer drill. I had brought my cheapo 3/8" drill, and the guy helping me just laughed and brought out his "special" drill. Maybe we should have tried to keep the bit cooler, but the drill operator would have gotten drenched. But no big deal - it was mission accomplished and Black &amp; Decker replaced his drill for nothing.

All in all, if I knew it would have been that painful to drill the frame, I would have paid the $25 for the shop to do it.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2003, 01:08 AM
Mud in my Veins

doodle, I see you're new so let me give you some advice. dont argue with Mark4Runner or you risk being involved in a 2-month long discussion that ends exactly where it began [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]

after installing my TTB lift kit I really appreciated paying the $130 total to have a hitch installed on my truck rather than having to face a muddy undercarriage with a monster drill while the blood ran out of my arms... money very well spent [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2003, 08:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

your absolutly right that does make drilling alot easier,
using three drill bits small,medium,then the final one,
frames arent that thick, ive drilled through thicker metal
than that using my cordless drill with no problems,if you
use a drill properly it will cut like butter, [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2003, 10:00 AM
Mud in my Veins

If it lines up with holes in the frame, it will be pretty easy. Just make sure you have the right tools and a friend or maybe a jack would be good for lifting it up.

I put a Hidden Hitch front receiver hitch on my Ram last weekend (tow hooks, we don't need no steeenking tow hooks[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]) and it bolted up pretty easily. Now if the instructions had been better, it would have taken my half the time. [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode