Diesel trucks - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 05:24 AM Thread Starter

Diesel trucks

Guys and shorts! wanting to purchase a newer diesel pickup. But torn between the 3 Dodge , Chevy and ford. Well I even might have it down to 2. Okay here is the problem. I like the way the dodge , and ford sit with thier suspensions . They are a little higher and can carry quite the load in the bed. The chevy lacks the height . Now I don't know if it is just wheelwell room or if the rear diff is actually higher. Dodge has the cummings a name that built itself incredible engines anyone who owns one will probably contest. The new chevy is the most powerful and has the most torque and the quietest go figure. Plus they have the allison transmissions like the cummings engine allison is on the top of trannys for the diesels. Also I have know quite a few people who had early to 90's to mid 90's series dodges and had alot of front end problems. These people also used there vehicles hard for work , One was a construction worker and the other 2 were loggers so they were alawys taking a beating. I am pretty torn but I like them all , I don't really care for the fords interiors that is just my opinion not saying there bad just like the chevy and dodges better. If you guys or shorts know anyone who has or had any of the three maybe you can help me out. I don't want to buy brand new the newest I would go is probably 2001 .They cost alot I don't own a money tree yet [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 10:07 AM

Re: Diesel trucks

dodge diesel all the way. don't for for the auto tranny, get the 5 or 6 spd. dad's got a 99 2500 4x4 auto...i love that truck, with out a doubt, i'd buy one. my uncle has a '95 2500 4x4 auto and that thing has really taking a beating...he's a welder, got his own shop, works at the refinery and does harvesting and trucking....

...get the dodge [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks shorts , Yea I want the 6 speed my friend has one I drove it the other day god it is nice , theat Cummins H/O has some nuts! His is a 2002 the last year of the old body . I am not sure I like the new style. Also I think that they got there front end problems fixed . [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 06:49 PM
LowGearMonster

Go Ford Powersstroke. They can really take punishment.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 07:00 PM

If I wuz gunna buy a fullsize diesel truck, I'd probably go for the Duramax, although I don't know much about them. I know quite alot about the 6.5's and 6.2s but, that duramax is a different creature all together.
I never heard anything bad about the Fords either, except problems with the '97ish gas engines, so I guess thats irrellevant too.
But the Dodges, well, I have all kinds of praise for the Cummins engine, but I have a friend that is a service manager (and a mechanic prior to that) at a Chrysler dealership, and he said that the diesle 4x4 Dodge trucks were relentless with front end problems....ball joints, bushings, etc, etc. he said they were replacing 'em hand over fist while still under warranty with low miles.....mind you this was a couple a years ago....I haven't heard anything lately.
he attributed it to the front end not being heavy enough, as the lighter ended gas engine versions had fewer problems.
just my hearsay...nothing more.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

Rembrant [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Yea rem thats what I heard to . I guess supposidly they have that all under wrap now! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 12:07 AM
Keyboard Implanted

The guy I work for has owned nothing but Dodge trucks. We are an excavating company and he definatly drives the snot out of them for work. He is in his third one that he just bought a couple weeks ago, he always sells them every few years to upgrade and for depretiatiopn purposes. Started out with the 3/4 ton with the cummins and five speed, then got a 3/4 ton quad cab with the cummins and five speed, now the one he got is the four door or crew cab 1 ton with the cummins and the six speed. Always been excellent vehicles. He carries a 200 gallon service tank, a huge portable welder set-up, and a buncha other gear that we use for work and never squats much at all. He actually likes having all that stuff in there cause he says it really smooths out the ride. Also the wheel well clearance makes it much easier to put HUGE after market wheels and tires on it. I would get a Dodge Ram myself if I didn't love my Jeep so much.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2003, 09:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I read something that you might want to consider,if you are buying new a diesel engine cost about $4,000.00 more that the same truck with a gas engine. And in order to make that pay for it's self you need to drive 400,000 miles. Also once the warrantee is off parts for diesel engines cost more than for an equivalent part for a gas engine.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2003, 10:37 AM
Mud in my Veins

Being the owner of a Dodge Ram half ton because I couldn't afford to insure a 3/4 ton diesel (damn black ice[img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]), I can say the CAD engagement system and front design of the Dodge solid front axles isn't the best. However, given the choices you said, I'd first off eliminate the Chevy/GMC right away. I had my fill of GM IFS. POS. Skip it. If you're going to spend some money on a new truck, that might even see only a little time offroad, get a solid front axle. IFS is ment for cars, HMMWV's, race trucks, and that's about it. Duramax or not, I'll never waste my money on GM IFS again.

On the Fords, watch the front axle. 2003 was only the first year that they started putting Dana 60's under the front of them for sure. 99-02 the front is probably a Dana 50, which is only a little bit better than a Dana 44. Only duallys and the highest GVWR SRW Super Duties had Dana 60's. A Dana 50's light years better than IFS, but don't be expecting it to stand up to 38's and bigger, or much more than a Dana 44 and any sort of wheeling.

Like I said before, the front axles on the 94-2002 Dodge's aren't the greatest setup. I like having a coil sprung D44 front axle, but a normal setup of hubs and axle shafts would make it better. I'm eyeing a couple D44's out of 70's F-150's should the need ever arise.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Again, like I said above, the Dodge D60 is still much better than GM IFS.

[bleep]ins I6 or International V8 diesel, they are both good engines. The Cummins will probably last longer, but I'd say either will fit the bill nicely. As to the whole length of time it takes a diesel pay for itself [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img], go tow 10,000lbs with some 3/4 ton trucks. Which do you think is going to move it better, the small block V8, big block V8 or V10, or the diesel? The big block or V10's might be able to move it fine, but you're going to spend the whole time with your foot in it and at high rpms. Gas mileage? Forget about it. The diesel will be idleing along having a good ol' time. I've always looked at initial purchase and maintenance as just something you have to do when you own a vehicle. What concerns me more is using it and the cost to use it daily. A diesel with tons of torque off the bat and 16-20mpg unloaded works for me.

Personal opinion:

Used 3/4 ton diesel, I'd get a 94-02 Dodge 2500 with the CTD and stick. I'd try for a 94-98.5 with the 12 valve Cummins. Easier to modify and mess with. Unless someone can find me a used 03 SRW Super Duty diesel with a stick for a good price, a D60 with front hubs is hard to beat.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

New, brand new off the lot, as mentioned above, the Super Duty gets my pick because of the hubs and conventional D60 front. I hear the 03+ big Rams use a different (hopefully better) engagement system in their AAM Co front axles, but they haven't been out long enough to hear of any sort of problems. Not to mention parts and upgrades for the axles are still scarce.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2003, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the great info! Well I wasen't looking to get one right away but the little old yota craped out on me this week she has 160,000 some miles on her and she eithe blew a vlave or threw a rod! not sure which one haven't investagated it yet. But looks like I am going to get a diesel this week or next and then start working on the yoat 350 small block conversion kit for the toy for a summer project ! I think I will fix the engine and see if I can't sell it anyways. I might get something for it if it dosen't cost to much to fix [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode