Carp. Any Good to Eat - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2003, 11:03 PM
LowGearMonster

Carp. Any Good to Eat

I wanna know this because there are three of these massive carp swimming in a pond next to my parents property. I caught one today, and it must have weighed 40 pounds. I have heard of people saying they are good to eat and taste good but I have always considered them a junk fish. Has anyone eatin' them and if it was good, do you have any recipes? I have to take the fish out and kill them anyway, just wanted another alternitive to just cuttin their spines and tossin them in the woods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2003, 11:42 PM
Old Hand

Re: Carp. Any Good to Eat

Ask and ye shall recieve. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Carp Recipes Yummy [img]images/graemlins/puke.gif[/img]
We have Carp here as big as cattle [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] Well at least they look like a heard of cattle from over head when they start spawning. We used to catch them and carry them to the parking lot to descale them with our old fishin buddys Datsun pickup. Ever see a 40 pound Carp fly? [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 03:40 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Talk about animal cruelity... [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]

Anyhow, my dad THE FISHING WIZARD GURU, has always said they arn't supposed to be good.. I think he said there boney and taste really muddy.. Errr, try it though maybe they are good... Use alot of lemon maybe... let us know.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 05:22 AM

i've heard both sides but havent had the delight of tryin any meyself. though i have seen somerecipes that made my mouth water enough that i was ready to jump in the river and grab em by hand
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 06:39 AM

I heard they were really fishy tasting but for any of you that try them Let me know . I like fish but never had the opurtunity to eat carp! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 07:56 AM

ok... here is what i know about carp..... the warm water bottom feeding type will taste a little "muddy " but no more than mud catfish, the cold water ones that can be caught on the Colorado river below Hoover dam ( cant remember what they call that resevoir) are pretty good without the "muddy" taste of the ones in the warm water . they are a pretty boney fish but canning them will take care of the bones . what i would do if you want to eat one is catch it , fillet it, soak it overnight in a mixture of 1 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup salt add this to 2 quarts of water and a few shakes of garlic powder , onion powder, italian seasoning , and maybe a 1/4 cup of soy sauce if you like . then smoke it over your favorite wood chips for 3-4 hours then cut it up and can it in 1/2 pint jars . canning is easy if you read and FOLLOW the instructions you wont poison yourself or blow up the pressure cooker. the local trash fish here are suckers and chubs . i wont try to eat them because they have "nematocyst's" all through the meat . i dont know what type of worms they are but i dont want to become a host to there lifecyle , so suckers and chubs get thrown in the brush . the shad (shad are 2 pound herring) are beginning to come into the river now and they are a very boney fish and considered crab bait by most , but they are good to eat when smoked and canned . just like canned herring or Kippered snacks ..... i sent rembrant some of my canned salmon and he isnt dead yet, and i think he can vouch for the smoking recipe......good luck ....Von Warner [img]images/graemlins/scs.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 08:11 AM

Sounds like a good recipe for any fish! I think I will try it with some bass or trout this spring! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 10:47 AM

When I was in Japan, carp were considered not for normal consumption. They have them as "decorative" fish, and I was told that there's lots of bones and a poor flavour. In some areas, they kept them in streams in town limits for times of starvation - no-one would eat them if they had other food, so when food was scarce, the carp were always available if needed.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 12:47 PM

The only carp I've ever ate was smoked in a smokehouse. It was pretty good, but I would rather have smoked salmon.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2003, 12:59 PM

BEERSTALKER ..where did you get your salmon ? i dont think you caught a chinook in any of the streams in Illinois.[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ... there aint nothin finer than fresh fish, regardless of species.. there is a big differance in the type of salmon you can buy. Copper river sockeye being my favorite, Bristol Bay sockeyes are a close second . then it is west coast spring Chinook . lots of oil and firm red meat . just flat melts in your mouth AND they are a blast to catch........ the bottom of my list would be "Keta" "dog" or "chum" salmon . and the only if i am starving classification ...Pinks or "humpy " salmon .......Von Warner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode