"V"type multiple cylinder motors ,now and then - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2003, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

\"V\"type multiple cylinder motors ,now and then

post any questions you might have here about multiple cylinder "V" type engines and we can avoid the infamous "cadillac V16" thread again. Von Warner ....that post is [img]images/graemlins/lame.jpg[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2003, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Re: \"V\"type multiple cylinder motors ,now and t

i have a question on that topic , why did dodge go with a V10 motor for its truck and the viper ? i was under the impression that V12 motors were a better route to go due to the extra two cylinders plus they run smoother .
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2003, 05:09 PM

I had always wondered the same thing. You also know that they already had the technology to make a V-12 because they had already bought Lamborghini a few years before. Lamborghini has been making V-12s for a long long time, and while the engines they make are probably way to expensive to put in a Dodge, I'm sure they had all the major design issues figured out to where they could have made a cheaper engine.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2003, 06:38 PM

Way to go Von ! I heard the V-12 's were terrible on fuel anybody own one? [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2003, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

there are lots of industrial V12 diesel motors around Caterpiller and Detroit both offer several. they are very smooth running engines . as for gas motors the Lamborghini, Jaguar, Ferrari,etc. are all relatively small in displacement per cylinder . they produce all there power at higher rpms than what we would want in a truck. there is a reason for the small displacement. something about government mandates over in europe ,maybe someone knows exactly . i would think that a V12 with a displacement between 400 and 500 cubic inches would be a real powerhouse and there seems to be plenty of room under the hoods of newer trucks . if you ever go to an old car museum there usually will be a car from the 20's or 30's with a V12 or even odder a straight eight, but that idea seems to have been forgotten by most of the automakers these days. any thoughts as to why? ....Von Warner [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-10-2003, 08:55 PM

No thoughts as to why but I wonder how many times you would still have to fill er up with gas. It has to be worse than a regular 8cyl. The diesels are not that bad industrial ones , but the price on fuel here is up to about 2 dollars or 2.10 stinks!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 08:42 AM

Not quite sure why they went with a V-10 but Lamborghini actually helped with the design of the motor... The funny thing is, the Lambo V-12 is a 5.7 or 5.8L (can't remember which anymore) and the V-10 is a 8L, yet horsepower numbers are fairly similiar... I think the main reason for the V-10 is they were able to get better torque numbers out of the larger motor...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

i think the fuel mileage is a relative thing , i know a couple of guys that have the dodge V10 motors in there 4x4 trucks and they say they get typical big block mileage, the best at 15mpg and the average around 12mpg. not too bad for a 488 cubuc inch gas motor . they say that the engine has the torque right from the start and pulls right up till the shift point . i think the torque is a major reason that they went with the extra two cylinders . more power pulses in each revolution of the crankshaft makes for more torque . if my math is correct that would be a power pulse for every 9 degrees of rotation for the V10 and 7.5 for a V12. that may be wrong (360 divided by 10 = 36 divided by 4 ) . you can see why additional power pulses would allow for greater torque from a V12 or V10 . the closer you can get them the smoother the power will be .....Von Warner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode