Prepping vehicle for long-term storage - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Prepping vehicle for long-term storage

what needs to be done to a vehicle in order to store it long-term - in this case 6 months in Washington(June-Dec/Jan)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 10:42 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Prepping vehicle for long-term storage

for only 6 months i wouldnt do too much
park in on wood or carpet to save the tires and put cedar chips in containers (no lids) through out the car, under hood, and in the truck to prevent mice. wash, wax, and cover. change fluids and filters when you get it out.
our camaro sits in storage from november till about may. no problems
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 11:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ive left vehicles parked a couple of times for 4-6 months at a time while off on deployments. I never did anything special and never had any trouble. One was left in a parking lot through winter - when I got back to it, I had to jump start it, and then immediately drove 800 miles through the big March snow in 1993 - not bad for an old Nova! I kind of miss that old junker......

I have heard, if you are going to store for a full year, stuff about backing of valve springs and changing all fluids. Special additives and so on.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 11:29 AM

I know that this is completely off-topic, but what kind of Nova did you have? Mine was a blue '79 with a 305.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 11:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I stored a car for a year left it out didn't do a thing. Got back to it and she blew up. Rodents built nests above the muffler. It ran great till it warmed up caught fire and took out the gas tank. I would do whatever get suggested here, but most of all. Check everything before you strart it.

[img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 12:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

and so shorts now you see the need for cedar chips. and if your wondering why cedar chips, its because they work just like mothballs with the rodents, but they dont leave that foul stench in your vehicle. in fact they leave no scent at all to the human nose.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 12:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

parked my truck for bout 6 months while I was guemping around on cruches, in full leg cast,

I id go out and start it up every so often, and bought a set of wheels and had the guys in my shop class drive it down and put the wheels on, lol after a few weeks of not running it would start and sputter and then clear up with a few stabs at the throttle. damn near wrecked it a few times when I would decide I could drive lol couldnt push the clutch in and almost took out our fence.

sorry Monica

Evan
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 02:52 PM

Changing the oil after the storage is a good idea as the oil breaks down even though the engine hasn't been running (changing the oil filter might not be necessary though). I always remove the battery and trickle-charge it before starting the engine - trickle-charging is much better for the life of the battery than boosting it. Then you have to worry about bugs and rodents like mentioned above. I've had problems with tires cracking a bit from storage, but I think that's probably partly due to the cold in the winter - puting the vehicle on axle stands would take pressure off the tires. Keeping the gas tank full helps with keeping rust out of the tank. Then checking all fluids after the storage would give some peace of mind that everything's OK.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

HMD. you say deployments and you're location is maryland, so i'm assuming you're navy?? if so, what'd you do? curiosity, were you USNA? if so, hwat year? haha ok, no more 20 questions intil later [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

back to storage, what about a fuel stabilizer?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 05:02 PM
Keyboard Implanted

nope......i dont do anything to the gas, just store it full
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode