First trip to pistol range with 1911-A1... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

First trip to pistol range with 1911-A1...

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Well, this was my first real time shooting a pistol. I have shot about 10 rounds out of a 9mm owned by a relative of a friend of mine, but that thing was a POS, or I wasn't used to pistols at the time, and best grouping I could get was 5", and most were scattered all over a target.

This target however is not from that experience, this target is from tonite's trip to the range with my Springfield Armory model 1911A1 .45 caliber pistol... My first shots fell all over the place, until I got a bit more used to aiming, and the trigger pull, compensating for it, etc... After I got more comfortable shooting it, I was hittin' the 10 ring quite a bit more (and was able to make a few head-shots as well)... Ammo I used consisted of 150 rounds of CCI Blazer 230 grain FMJ, and about 7 rounds of Hornady 200 grain JHP/XTP...

Most of the shots fired were rapid fire, emptying the magazine (7 rounds) in around 6 seconds or somewheres around there, with a few magazines spent taking my time and actually seriously aiming...

This thing leaves some particularly impressive holes in paper... After the 157 rounds I've put through this gun I can say I'm feeling particularly confident shooting the thing now, and next time I go out I'll procure a few targets instead of using only one, so I can chart my progress. After a few more rounds I'll be taking the CCW classes, not really intending to carry the weapon very much, but just to make it so there is no hassle whilest I'm transporting weapon, no stupid rules about how it's got to be transported, etc... And of course for the various times I need to venture into the less desirable areas...

Bottom line: I like this gun, however my wallet will not, judging by how fast I tend to burn through ammo... [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]</font>
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1037500-Tims_First_pistol_range_target.jpg (92.0 KB, 32 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 08:19 PM

Re: First trip to pistol range with 1911-A1...

Save your brass, invest in a reloading setup &amp; you're gonna have a new hobby you enjoy as much as wheeling!! Making your own rounds is fun, economical, educational, confidence inspiring &amp; did I mention fun!?

I admire your choice - .45's are great, though slipping in popularity w/ high capacity 9's &amp; the new .40
When you're ready, I've got a .45 die set I'll let go cheap - haven't had the opportunity to use it in years [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Will start savin' the brass when I switch to some different ammo... This CCI Blazer stuff uses some form of aluminum alloy specifically called out as not reloadable... [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] But it was cheap and I figured to break it in about any FMJ ammo would work...

Forgot to mention the most important part of the range trip... Out of all those rounds fired, I experienced no failure to extract, eject, return to battery, in fact no failures of any sort... Plus it went bang every time I pulled the trigger, for which I was very happy... Sights are about dead on, if I bother taking the brief instant to line 'em up right... Ejects casings more right than up... Quite a bit more, but then again I like it that way anyhow, and hope it stays that way... [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I definitely found a keeper... [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

For some reason the time I did use the 9mm pistol, it just wasn't confidence inspiring... This thing actually feels nice and substantial in the hand, and the increased recoil over what I recall the 9mm doing just "feels" a bit better, more confidence inspiring, etc... If I can't hit what I need in 14 rounds, or at least make enough noise with that to get me out of a bad situation and time to reload one or some such thing, I should have showed up to the situation with a rifle or shotgun anyhow probably... </font>
post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 08:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Tim glad to hear all is well with you and your weapon.
i plan on buying on of those as soon as i get hired on at a different dept. i am thinking either the Colt combat commander .45ACP or the Customized colt government model series 80 .45ACP. what do you think of those 2 guns?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

<font face="Comic Sans MS">I've got no experience at all with either of those two weapons... I seem to recall hearing some not so nice things about Colt series 80's... I don't recall what it was specifically though... Can say I'd recommend this particular model that I got (is springfield part # PX9109L, parkerized finish, "loaded" they call it, has ambidexterous safety, Novak glow in the dark 3 dot sights, etc...)... Then again as with all manufactured items, I might have gotten one made on a good day and somebody else might not be so lucky... Just like with vehicles, or any other man-made item, some are better than others when produced...

Here's a great forum for discussion of all things 1911: http://www.1911forum.com/forums/

Coincidentally here's a picture of my 1911, in case y'all missed the picture I posted in the chevy forum... [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

</font>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 10:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

ok Tim i think i found the one im going to get

that would be a nice off-duty weapon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1037611-1911.jpg (18.9 KB, 8 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2003, 11:17 PM
Mud in my Veins

Sweet. Told you they're known for their reliability. 90 years worth of proven engineering can't be wrong.

Springfield, Colt, and Kimber all make good guns. The last National Rifleman magazine had a good write up of Colt's current products, heavily on the M1911 family. Para-Ordanance out of Canada also makes a very good M1911, including several that have composite frames and wide grips, giving them a 13-14 round magazine.[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Which further makes me wonder why people buy 9mm's?

I'm probably going to be picking up one of the Rock Island Compact model M1911's sometime this year. Spending to much money on the truck and learning to fly now.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I just want a good, reliable, .45 ACP Goverment model that I can carry, also for a good price. I've heard nothing but good things about these Rock Islands.[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] They're in the Shotgun News, SARCO used to sell them until they basically blew the deal out their @ss, and now the only place is called something like Dealer Warehouse, or something like that. It's in California.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 06:23 AM
Keyboard Implanted

well if AJM reccomends it, you know its got to be good. they reason i am really excited about that is the price, only $830. sounds expensive nut not compared to most 1911's especially that look like this one.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 10:08 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Out of all those rounds fired, I experienced no failure to extract, eject, return to battery, in fact no failures of any sort... Plus it went bang every time I pulled the trigger,

[/ QUOTE ]
1911A1
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 07:13 PM
Keyboard Implanted

scratch that boys and girls.....i am going with the compact!
full inch shorter, i didnt realize that the one i posted earlier was 8.5" long. that bugger would be hard to conceal. the compact will be a little easier and alot lighter. oh and Tim i got a guy who is giving me awesome prices too. the compact is only $554 from him. one of my dads friends who owns his own store. sells all his guns for $50 over his cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode