Got noise? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Got noise?

There are tons of noise laws. I'd like to see a law that says Jake Brakes (the oldschool ones, not the silenced ones) be banned from city limits but other than that I don't have much to complain about. Sure, there are some things that irritate me but it's usually just somebody being stupid (like having a stereo going past 11pm on a Monday night).

http://www.noisefree.org/legislativeagenda.html

The single greatest contribution to the human race these people could make is to get sterilized.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 12:56 PM

Re: Got noise?

Do you know what a jake does?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Basically uses the engine to do the braking... a monster air compressor of sorts. There's also the exhaust brake.

Anyway, silenced ones (the ones that don't sound like a blown tire) aren't bad. The oldschool ones are enough to cause accidents because some goofball in a truck decides to use the jake brake (engine brake) right next to some old lady.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 02:54 PM

Wrath,
I hear ya on the "oldschool" Jakes...man some of those were loud, I remember an old Western Star dump truck used to go by my folks place, and rattle the dishes in the cubboard when he hit the jake...LOL. They were much worse when the the particular truck was running straight pipes, or dual stacks. I've got several buddies that drive big trucks, and I know of a couple guys who purposely beat all the baffles out of their mufflers to give them more of a rattle when they hit the engine brake, good ol redneck fun.
My wife and I just moved to a quiet private lane in November last year, but prior to that we were on a main road, and got to hear stereos, glasspacks, and all the Civic speed racers all night long, I don't miss that one bit. Later.
Rembrant [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 03:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

There are laws that have jakes banned from city limits, it all depends on what city your in. I have no problems w/ old school jakes, my dad has a Classic 359 Pete with dual 7 inch straight pipes and they are loud esp. on 3rd stage. But then again he knows the appropriate time to use it too. Lots of guys who drive trucks now have no prior experience or have ever ridden with a true trucker and they are just ignorant and think their that the jake's a toy which in turn gives the rest of us a bad name.

And that link that is posted is nothing more than one step closer to having your life controlled by the government. When it gets to the point where they tell you what kind of car to buy and what color shoes to wear then they'll be wishing for the way it was.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 03:40 PM

Jake brakes are all over out here in teh middle of no where. you can hear them from like a 1/2 mile away. Im used to them anymore. Same as the corn drier at the elevator 3 blocks away that runs 24 hours during harvest. And tractors arent exactly quiet either [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] i guess its all just where you grow up, that makes it different how you react to stuff
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 04:46 PM

we have a kenworth with 5in straight pipes and at about 1500 she sounds like screamin mimi. I think when we start taking it out of state will probably put the mufflers back on. The damm jake rattles you brain . It sounds awesome for the first hr then it gets a little annoying after a while! [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode