Gears and Install Kits - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Gears and Install Kits

hopefully i'll be getting to install my 4.10s in a couple weeks - or at least buying them. i found a good deal on some used ones($70 plus $20 shipping) or i'm thinking of ordering from drivetrain warehouse($139 w/install kit).

i guess i'm wondering, what do the install kits come with? do i necessarily need an install kit or to change bearings or whatever out when i just want to change my ring and pinion?

i'm trying to save a little $ on this, but i don't want to have problems down the road and have to go in and fiddle with the diff again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 08:10 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Gears and Install Kits

A good install kit will come with a new crush collar, seals, and shims of varying thicknesses among other things. You never know what you're going to get. It might just have some glorified lithium grease to check the pattern of the gears and a crush collar in it. Since you're putting the same carrier back in you'll use the same shims again. I've used the stuff GM ships with their OE gears before and it's basically a thick lithium grease. I'd be inclined to use spray can lithium grease or assembly lube if I didn't have the stuff that's supposed to come with the gears.

If you're going to be in there I'd be inclined to buy new carrier bearings and races. I replaced mine since I had spider gear shrapnel floating around in there and I think I paid less than $20 for all of them.

Check your pinion bearings also. No matter what, change the pinion seal.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 11:49 AM

For $139.00 you should be getting carrier bearings, pinion bearings, pinion seal, pinion shims, carrier shims, and marking compound. My install kit for the 14 bolt was under 100 and I got if from Drivetrain Direct.

Don't forget to pick up an inch pounds torque wrench and magnetic base dial indicator. You will need those to set up the gears.

Setting up gears in a shim style housing is kinda poopy. I suggest changing the carrier bearings so you can take the old bearings and grind the inside out a little so it will slip on and off the carrier with ease. That way you can easily change shims back and forth till you get the right setup and your not constantly pressing bearings on and off.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 12:06 PM

i just picked up an install kit from O'Reillys for aobut $80, came wuth everything but shims
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 03:05 PM

Hey Shorts, are you gonna tackle the swap yourself? just curious.
Rembrant [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

well i called drivetrain warehouse and the guy said the install kit that comes with the gears is the "minor" kit, which does NOT include bearings. if i want bearings, then i need to buy the "master" kit which is an $80 to the $139 [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

rembrant, yes, my intent is to do the gears on my own, or at most, ask my uncle to swap them out for me. he can do the work faster [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] and he can do mechanic work in his sleep - its crazy [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] ...not to mention, his work is free [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

i'm thinking i'll hunt down some prices on replacement bearings at the local parts stores and then decide. the truck has 155k, so, new bearings sure wouldn't hurt [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode