Recipes - not as exciting as you'd think - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Recipes - not as exciting as you\'d think

Ok, as requested, some recipies. I'm trying to imagine that you guys don't have the time nor the interest in cooking exotic stuff, so here's a few "easy" ones:

Chili:

1 lb ground beef
1-2 large cans red kidney beans
1 can sliced mushrooms (can skip this)
1 can corn (niblets)
1 can tomato soup OR 1 can stewed tomatoes
1 can tomato paste
1 tablespoon sugar
2-3 teaspoons salt
pepper
5 tablespoons chili powder (put as much or as little as you like - I just dump it in until the chili is dark red)
3 minced garlic cloves (or use garlic powder)
1 onion (I skip this, I don't like onions)
1 stock of celery

Basically, you can skip the fresh veggies, but put them in just for your health.

Cook the ground beef in a large pot on medium-high heat, and when it is brown, "drain" out the fat - basically, I squeeze the fat out by puting the meat in a strainer and forcing the fat out the bottom with a large spoon or spatula. Put the meat back in the pot on the stove, and add all the other ingredients (just dump it all in and mix it together well). If it is too thick, just add a bit of water here and there to thin it out. Bring it to a bubbling boil, and then turn the heat to low to simmer it for whatever time you feel like (30 minutes is good). Serve it over rice (use the good rice, not instant - make rice by boiling three cups of water, and then add 1.5 teaspoons of salt and 1.5 cups of white rice - cover it, turn the heat to where the rice lightly bubbles without bubbling over, and let simmer for 20 minutes - don't lift the lid more than once, because it is the steam that cooks the rice), potatoes, or macaroni.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Re: Recipes - not as exciting as you\'d think

Another easy one similar to Chili.

Hamburger Soup:

1 lb ground beef
1 can tomato soup OR 1 can stewed tomatoes (medium size)
3/4 cup diced carrot
2 cups diced potato
1/2 cup diced celery
2.5 teaspoons salt
pepper
2 minced garlic cloves (or garlic powder)
1 chopped onion
1/2 cup pearl barley
5 soup cans of water OR 4 cans water of tomato can size

Get a large pot and brown hamburger at medium-high heat and squeeze the fat out as with the above recipe. Return meat to pot, add all the other stuff, stir, bring to boil, turn heat down to where it slowly bubbles (3 or 4 on my stove), and simmer for about one hour (the barley has to cook, sometimes it will be done sooner, like 40 minutes).
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

This one is absolutely great, and has spinach too.

Pilaf a la Grecque:

1 lb ground beef
1 chopped onion
1 minced clove garlic
1 cup sliced celery
1.5 cups thinly sliced carrots
1 can (16 oz) stewed tomatoes
1 teaspoon oregano
1.5 teaspoons salt
pepper
1 10-oz package of frozen chopped spinach (put it in even if you don't like spinach - you'll hardly notice it)
3 cups cooked rice (see rice instructions in the Chili recipe, it is 1.5 cups of uncooked rice)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese (it helps if you buy the good stuff)

Brown meat in large pan or pot and squeeze out fat (as above recipes), return to pot and add onions, garlic, celery, tomatoes, seasonings, and spinach. Cook over low heat until the spinach is completely thawed. Stir in cooked rice, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Add the lemon juice and cheese last.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Emeril's Essence:

You can put this on practically anything including sandwiches, salads, soups, chili, eggs, steak (it's a great steak spice), potatoes, spaghetti sauce, pork chops, chicken breasts, etc, etc, etc, etc.

2.5 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon thyme

Just measure it all out and mix it together - put it into an empty spice container, and sprinkle or pour it into almost anything.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

A tasty time saver for when you gotta eat quick (this is about as quick as it gets if you are cooking with fresh ingredients).

Menu: Potatoes, steak, and spinach salad.

You can use frozen hash browns but it's easy to make your own. Depending on the number of people you are feeding, chop a few potatoes into small cubes (a good knife and cutting technique make all the difference here), throw them into a big pan with about a tablespoon of oil (vegetable, extra-virgin olive, sesame, peanut, etc), sprinkle lots of Emeril's Essence (see above) or chili powder, about 1.5 teaspoons of salt (depending on the amount of potatoes), stir so the oil and spice is uniformly spread, and cover and heat with medium-high heat - stir every couple minutes.

When it starts to sizzle, wait a few minutes and then heat a second pan with oil at medium-high heat, and when hot, throw in the steak (seasoned with Essence, or other steak spice) - depending on how thick the steak is, and how well-done you like steak, turn only once, I like it bloody-red, and cook for a total of about four minutes, turning at two minutes.

While all that sizzles, throw some fresh, prepared, and washed spinach (not the gritty bunches, but the nicely packaged stuff) into a bowl. Chop a few slices of cucumber into the spinach, and cover with Parmesan cheese and your favourite salad dressing.

Eat the potatoes with ketchup if you like, cover the steak with a good BBQ sauce, get a big glass of ice water, and you're set.

You can do the exact same thing with chicken breast, pork chop, or fish. This is balanced nutritionally, and the steak should be trimmed of excess fat and not be larger than the palm of your hand. If you still feel hungry after this, you should have had more potatoes and spinach, but having tortillas and salsa is a somewhat healthy way to fill the void.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 01:11 PM

Here's another easy one, brought to you by me...

Hot Dog a la Buns:
Get one sauce pan, fill it about half way with water.
Bring it up to a descent temp.
Next dump in a package of wieners
Cook until warm enough to serve
Next, insert the weiner in the hotdog buns (1 to 1 ratio).
Lastly, try a variety of condiments to top off.

THAT'S about as good as it gets with me. Although after reading muddy's post, I might have to look into fixin' chicken! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 01:51 PM

hmmmm, is that how you cook hotdogs?...LOL, interesting enough though, I don't eat those tubes of mystery meat very often, but I still do on occasion...LOL. In my younger years, I was quite fond of "street meat"..er...um...the sausage vendors that hung around outside the bar....gawd they were good...ha ha ha, I'm sure i exceeded my weekly fat intake with one of those..LOL!
Mark, thanks for the recipes, I printed the thread and will give them a try, and let ya know. Now I'm gonna print the milkshake thread and try a few of those also. Looks like I need a trip to the grocery store.....the wife and I have been buying everything frozen at Costco, so it wouldn't hurt for us to actually make something from scratch for a change. Thanks again.

Cory
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Maybe you could share some of your recipies too.

If people are interested, everyone can post their favourite ones. I've got a lot more, but some are complicated and/or strange - like Kung Pao Chicken for example.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 02:42 PM

Hey Mark,
You may have already tried this, and its not so much a recipe as a technique, but Julie and I started last year cooking a full beef roast on the BBQ. We just remove all the lava rocks, and put a steel tray under the grill and fill it with water, onions, and onion soup mix. Put the roast directly on the grill and put a tinfoil cover over it, so that it catches the steam from the mix below. You just have to keep an eye on it, and add water as needed, but it sure makes a fantastic roast...it just falls apart, and tastes better than just being cooked in the oven.

How about Beer Butt Chicken ? I had that for the first time last summer, and it was also good. Buy several small whole chickens, and stick an open can of rootbeer in their butt, and then use the can as a stand to cook them on your BBQ....LOL, don't laugh, its good, the steam from the rootbeer gets absorbed into the chicken, all the while it gets its regular BBQ treatment on the outside. Very good.

My wife makes a wonderful Keish every now and then, as well as vegetarian chili, but theres not much of a recipe to it....its just chili with no meat...LOL, and yeah I know, real men aren't supposed to eat Keish. Did I spell that right?.LOL.

later,
Rembrant [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Those are good suggestions, and I've heard about the chicken butt thing, but with real beer - haven't tried it yet, but I think I will soon. I saw the beer chicken on TV, from this guy: Surreal Gourmet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode