Beef Up Time!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 11:55 AM
LowGearMonster

Beef Up Time!!

Does anyone have a diet plan for getting ripped quick. Spring Break is coming up in a few months and I wanna gain some beef for the ladies. I'm 5'11" and stocky, so puttin' muscle on won't be too hard. Plus I way 250 if that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 12:59 PM

Re: Beef Up Time!!

Have relatively high protein (don't need fancy supplements - they're a waste of money), low fat, and relatively low carb (depending on your activity level - you need complex carbs to fuel hard-working muscles, but chair-surfers like me can't over-do it).

Get your protein from low-fat natural sources, and skim milk powder can be used as a protein "supplement" if you feel you aren't getting enough protein for some reason - most people get too much protein anyway, it's all a bunch of crap when the magazines try to sell you on taking huge amounts of supplements. Too much protein is bad for your liver, and protein is the most expensive part of your diet. You can't properly digest more than about 30 grams of protein at a time anyway.

Get sufficient amounts of vegetables, expecially green leafy stuff, but not iceburg lettuce which is almost nothing but water. Vegetables keep you feeling full, don't add a lot of calories, cleans out your digestive system, adds natural source vitamins, etc, etc.

Then do cardio - in the winter, treadmills are great and won't hurt your knees like a stairmaster might, and is a more natural motion than with a stationary bike. In the summer, do cycling, running, walking, whatever. Don't go nuts on the cardio though - work your way into it - don't blast into it because that will be the best way to lead to burn-out and quitting.

Cook with vegetable oils instead of butter, lard, or margarine (unless it's the non-hydrogenated type). And on that note, do as much of your own cooking as you can so that you can verify exactly what it is that you're eating.

The WORST thing anyone can do is to drink their calories. DON'T drink pop, avoid juice (sure there's vitamins, but juice has as much calories as pop does), if you drink milk only drink skim, (this is painful to say . . .) don't drink beer - it's the evil that I've had to fight so that I can look half decent. All people that are "overweight" drink too much of something. Replace all fluids with lots of water only.

And don't give in when your belly asks for fatty food when you know you don't need it.

I've got lots of good recipies if anyone's interested.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 01:04 PM

Oh, yeah - "getting ripped quick" - don't bother, that's basically planning for failure - you have to make changes on a permanent basis (ie: be in a habit of eating right and excersising properly).
post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 01:07 PM
LowGearMonster

Man give me those recipes. The more info I get the better. What foods are most complex carbs in?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 01:12 PM

haha! you have on idea how much fun we trainers make fun of that statement "i gotta get ripped quick!"..."i gotta drop to a size 6, i'm 14 now"......uhh, news flash, it doesn't happen that fast [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] ok ok, sorry..onward

5'11", 250 and stocky doesn't help much...do you have a neked pic? ok, not neked, but, in shorts? you're generalized BMI is 34.9, which puts you on the high end of the class I obese category. you'll wanna find out your body comp though, that'll give you better #s on lean mass to fat mass.

measurements aside, do you normally work out? have you worked our regularly or in the past?? that'll have an affect on how fast you can lean up, and give us a better idea of what you can do. the #1 thing i recommend you do is start running. nothing strenuous or obsurdly fast, maybe go for 10-12 min at 5-6mph...then bump up the time and/or speed every week. also, lift some weights - no, not body builder heavy stuff. if you want to get cut and lean, you need to drop the lbs and up the reps.

for starters, upper body: bicep curls, tricep extensions, dumbbell flies, bench press, overhead press, rows. legs: extensions, curls, squats, calf raises. for core: back extensions and crunches.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 01:23 PM

Shorts knows her stuff. As far as recipes goes, I can get back to you on that tomorrow - I'll give you a couple of my favourites. Any preferences? Hopefully you have a GOOD set of kitchen knives because that will make all the difference in the world when chopping veggies.

A chef knife like this is a basic need (don't be scared to spend a bit of $$$ if you don't already have a good one):

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 01:25 PM
Mud in my Veins

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
do you have a neked pic? ok, not neked, but, in shorts?

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] shame on you Shorts... taking advantage of your education like that [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 01:25 PM

why do you think i got into this field??? i want to see some hot sexy men working out! [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

anyway, DO NOT SUPPLEMENT. you don't need it.

aside from exercise, like was mentioned, you gotta eat right.

you want to stay away from saturated fats. drink water intead of anything else. stay away from carbonation - it interferes with your O2 blood levels, so cardio is tougher and the CV system is less efficent and does not burn enough calories.

btw, don't forget your daily fiber intake. a good way to get that is have a bowl of GOOD cereal in the morning...like cheerios, or oatmeal.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 02:03 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
What foods are most complex carbs in?

[/ QUOTE ]
Main ones are potatoes (one of the very best foods out there if you don't put too much fat on them), grains (wheat, rice, corn, barley, etc, and of course, anything with "flour" in it), turnips, breads, etc. The body converts complex carbs to simple carbs in order to use them as energy.

Simple carbs are sugars - whatever is sweet has them, such as fruits, and anything that has sugar added to it. Too much sugar is not good, but a bit of sugar is better than aspartame or whatever else they have for artificial sweeteners.

Don't go for a diet with no carbs unless you are absolutely bed-ridden because your muscles need them if you are active. I think Oprah lost a bunch of weight on a no-carb diet - well, it's all back on there, isn't it?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 02:48 PM
LowGearMonster

Mark_4Runner: Any preferences?

Yes. Meat. And lots of it.

I got the build for weight training. I used to lift weights on occasion. I've put up 200 before on bench. I have done running before but I get shin splints real easy because of how big my legs are. I'm naturally heavy. If I had a picture to show you guys, you wouldn't believe that I weigh 250. I don't know my max when it comes to my legs. In the gym I did 15 reps on the calve press using 850 pounds. I know I won't become He-Man in a few months but I still wanna drop some of my fat. Don't care about my weight. Matter of fact, I like weighing 250. I think it's cool. Just want less fat, more muscle. Also people constantly tell me to lift weights because they say I would get huge. My dad said he would love to have my physique when he was my age.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode