My first time painting... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 01:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My first time painting...

Alright fellers, my mom bought a rocking chair at a garage sale the other day. Problem is that it needs new paint. It's wood and has a coat on right now. I want to repaint it for her but have never done anything like this before.
1) What kind of sandpaper(grade) should I use to remove the old paint but not damage the wood?
2) After sanding, do I need some kind of primer or something before the actual painting goes on?
3) What kind of paint should I use for wood furniture? I don't want to krylon it for sure. I want a real dark color. Any ideas?
4) Should I apply somekind of coating, weatherproof or something after painting it?

Sorry for all the questions but this will be my first time doing this. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 03:56 PM

Re: My first time painting...

I would sand it down to start first. mmm depending on how old and worn it is . I would start with a rough grit sand paper like a 60 grit . Then go up to a 180 followed by a 220 once you get down to the 220 it should feel like a baby assss. I personally would not paint it. I would use a wood stain to give you a nice finish then clear coat it with a laquer I probably just spelled that wrong oops. Wait I think thats right. Just my 2cents though [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 04:37 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Strip it with paint stipper first, then do some touch up sanding, as and only if needed, use a 300 grit or 400 grit. Then, if it is in excellent condition I would stain and varnish it. If not in great condition then use a good primer and a quality enamel or maybe a laytex although a latex won't be as durable. Go to a furniture repair place and ask them what they would reccomend as far as paint would go. You will need to READ the INSTRUCTIONS for the type of primer/paint or stain/varnish you use. For furniture, staining and varnishing is the most durable and gives the best looking finish.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 04:41 PM

Yea ya know I thought I forgot something Paint stripper would be an excellent start duh. Then you wouldn't need the 60 grit . holy smokes after you used the 60 grit there might not be much wood left on the old chair his idea is better! [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] there should be a sign that says give him a beer. I would give you one for that!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 04:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The chair is actually in very good shape. I think that pretty much covers everything I needed to know. Thanks yoat and kraby. [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] two beers, one for each of ya. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 05:01 PM

Wow that sounded like a little Doc Holiday quote from tombestone ! " I got 2 guns one for each of ya" Hell of a movie! [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 06:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That was an awesome movie!! One of my favorites! One of my favorite lines is when Wyatt Earp confronts the loudmouth poker dealer when they first get to Tombstone.
Earp: "You scared?" "You damn right your scared" [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 06:38 PM

another good one I'm your huckleberry . [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode