Giving my 2 weeks notice today.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

Giving my 2 weeks notice today....

Hello Folks,
I don't know if any of you will remember or not, but I posted a question about needing advice with a job interview waaay back when the Chit Chat forum was brand new. I'm too lazy to do a search on it, but I did get lots of helpful info from everyone at the time, however close I came at that time, I still didn't get the job.....but I've always been looking....LOL. Anyhow, I've recently had a couple of interviews for jobs that I applied for back in Nov-Dec of '02, and if you can believe it, I've actually been chosen by both companies to be hired, and will be getting a "letter of offer" from each of them today. The cool thing is, and I don't know all the details yet, but one of the jobs includes travelling all over the world, and being away from home for as many as 120 - 130 nights per year. Yes it would be nice to see the world on somebody elses nickel, and its a technical position doing what I like, but do I really want to be away that much? The other job, to which I've already accepted a conditional (over the phone) offer, is also a technical position, but is a Mon to Friday job, and is only about 15 min drive from home. I guess I'm just looking for some input on what I should do....without knowing all the details yet of course.....I will know the salary of the travelling job in a few hours, and a lot of it depends on the money, but do I want to travel?....or do I want to be home every night? I may never get another chance in this lifetime to see the world. I'm gonna have to weigh the pros and cons I know, but its already bugging me. Whatta ya think folks? Any thoughts?
Cory [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 06:59 AM

Re: Giving my 2 weeks notice today....

To each his own, right?
I cant stand flying, so id opt for the local job. Plus, as an added bonus, you be able to do more mods to the truck, since you wouldnt need to drive as far [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. And we all know that leads to more 4wheeling, which is never a bad thing!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 08:56 AM
Keyboard Implanted

My only question in order to respond to this would be, Are you married and or do you have kids? If you answer no, then you would be a fool not to take the oppurtunity to travel. Remember, you can always go four wheeling at some of the places you travel to. But then the final answer rests with you. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 09:55 AM

You're still young and need to see the world. If it doesn't work out and you want to quit after a while, you will still have a lot of interesting experiences, and it is still developing your professional skills - you can learn more than you think from travel, and working with foreign professionals will open your eyes to a more accurate picture of reality. In the somewhat limited amount of international travel that I've done, it has given me many pleasant memories and has expanded my horizons - and when I came home to Alberta, I never had more of an appreciation of everything that we have here before (I used to dislike living here, but I now see how interesting it really is as I can see it from the eyes of people who have never been here).

I say try it - you don't have to do it forever if you don't like it. If you turn it down and work at home, then you will always wonder what you missed.

But then ask your wife what she thinks and forget everything that anyone else tells you [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 11:00 AM
flatbroke

have to agree that it depends on your family if you have one.if your single,then go see the world!If you are with kids or wife think about that carefully .A friend did it for money reasons,loved it ,but missed his twins first steps,first days of school,and the first trip to the hospital when they crashed thier bikesLoL!!! Dont think about the cons.think about the proes,and which is better for you.....more importantly dont do it for anybody but yourself [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 12:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have to agree with the other guy's. If you are married or in a serious relation ship stay put. Reguardless of what she says.A relationship can't last when your apart that much.
But on the other hand if it's just you and you like to travel,go ahead and travel on thier dime.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 06:06 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

It depends on how attached you are to family and if you have a significant other or rugrats.

I, myself, like routine. I want a 40 hour a week job that never has to come home with me. I want work to be a small part of my life, not my entire life like it is for a lot of people. Relatives mean very little to me except my parents. Traveling is a little stressful for me. However, money can eliminate stress. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] If I were getting around 10k/year more to wander all over the world I'd probably go for it. Money might not buy happiness but it does a damn fine job trying. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Well folks,
I'm back and have had lots of time to think things over, and yes I am married, but no children. My wife has been behind me 100% with this travelling opportunity, and she is actually the one who told me to apply for it in the first place. We are both very free spirits, and are both very independant. We've decide that its an opportunity that I will never have again, and if I don't try it, I'll never know what I missed, and besides, If it doesn't work out, I can always do something else. Really, how often does one get a chance to see the whole world?...even if I only did it for a year or two, or five, I can always move on. Getting the salary and benefit package info today, really helped with my decision...LOL. I appreciate the replies, and I was so wound up with it all this morning, I had to ask what somebody thought, just to get some feedback, no matter what it was. Thanks again guys.

Rembrant [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode