Got a new toy... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2003, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

Got a new toy...

<font face="Comic Sans MS">... so I was walkin' through an electronics store the other day, (and I'd been inspecting digital cameras prior to this event btw, knowing I wanted to get away from the el-cheapo crap I'd always picked up in the past, this however in no way refers to my Sony digital camcorder in the category as el-cheapo crap, it does it's functions well, I just wanted something that'd take digital photos at higher resolution than 640x480 hehe, looks like I found that something, but I digress) and happened upon the camera section. After a bit of deliberating, deciding, checking the pocketbook, and so forth, I decided upon a camera... The one in question happens to be an Olympus Camedia (model C5050) 5.0 MP digital camera... Cool little device... Been usin' it a bit now, and have one picture to share, which should appear below my typing... Initial impressions: This thing takes better pictures (and my HP Deskjet 960 prints 'em) just as good as any of the typical film cameras I've had... Now a professional photo setup either digital or film would still probably give it a run for it's money, but then again I'm not a professional and don't understand how to optimize pictures either, I like to let the machine do it... This one seems to have a very effective auto-focus, is very good at selecting a shutter speed, and all that other cool stuff (which it also lets you pick manually if you have a clue how to adjust the stuff and what the adjustments do [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])... I theorize that you can get other lens' for it just like you could for a regular SLR camera but I've not looked into that yet... One other thing, this is an SLR camera... When you hit the zoom, you see just what the camera sees when you look through the viewfinder, as opposed to the ones that only use the LCD display, or don't show any zoom thru view finder, which is nice since you can set it up and then shut off the LCD to help prolong the life of the batteries... It uses 4AA batteries, can use any of the rechargables too. It seems to burn thru batteries somewhat quickly, I think I've gotten about 20 shots on highest resolution TIFF images, and another 30 or so on regular JPEG type on highest res. and the battery low indicator was on yesterday (but this morning same batteries are still "OK" and playin' a little hasn't caused low batt light to come on, so I suppose it's not really all that hard on batteries. Has USB interface built in (no sense buying card readers at all since card reader just plugs into USB port anyhow), port for an AC adapter, and an A/V output so you can display on the TV...

You can save in TIFF (uncompressed format), raw, or jpeg from what I can see... with TIFF, I only get about 25 images or less on a 256mb compact flash card... LOL JPEG it looks like I'll get about 160... For computer use JPEG is *easily* good enough... One other neat thing about this cam is it lets you use different types of cards... It accepts compact flash cards, smart media cards and xD cards. It comes with a 32mb xD card and with the store's promotion i also got a free 64mb xD card. Picked up the 256mb compact flash card on my own dime... You can have 1 CF card and 1 either SM or xD card in the camera at one time, which is really nice 'cause you don't have to worry about changing cards immediately when one fills up, just push a button on the back of camera and it'll switch to using the other card... There's also a Quicktime movie mode on it, although I've not played with that much yet...

Ok, I've rambled on long enough... Keep in mind the original of this image was approximately 14MB (TIFF format) so obviously I had to do a lot of editing and an ungodly amount of compressing to get it to be post-able... So it's lost a lot of picture quality by the time it's reaching y'all, although I think it still looks much nicer than any of the cheap POS cam's I've had in the past... Oh, also keep in mind this isn't the fullsize picture... I had to crop out about everything besides the truck in order to get size down enough to post... [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Tire tread in the snow showed up, needles on the pine trees behind truck showed up well, yadda yadda, but this is still pretty darn good IMO...

</font>
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1014711-truck2.jpg (92.3 KB, 14 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2003, 07:53 AM

Re: Got a new toy...

Tim,
Nice pic....wow thats big...LOL. I love my digicam, we just replaced our old Sony with a D550 Olympus, 3 megapixel, and it works great, however, it is very hard on gas...j/k. I just haven't bothered to pickup a set of re-chargables yet, I'm told they're much better. I usually take my pics at standard quality...um, 640x480 I think, and I find them fine, and I can fit 165 of them on the 16 meg card that came with the camera. Looks good though, bring us some more when you get 'em. Later.
Rembrant
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2003, 10:43 AM
Keyboard Implanted

we have the Canon A40 and i just droped in a 64mb card. i went from being able to take 15 pics to i think 200 or so. i can also take video with this camera and have sound.....videos can be like 200 seconds. i also just bought some rechargable batteries....they work great
post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2003, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Once again I had to majorly compress these images to get 'em to fit on this post... If anybody wants to they can always volunteer to host some of the fullsize images for reference (although I doubt many people want to download pictures of this variety in the 2mb to 14mb range... [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

In order to appreciate the true quality one really has to see the pictures as they appear on this machine or the print-outs... Whether it be 3x5" printouts or 8x10's or bigger, these all look to rival conventional film cameras... [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Those other cam's sound good too, throw up some samples if any are available... I'm still amazed at how dramatic a difference in how many pics I can take there is between ultra high quality mode and just plain jpeg mode... On a 32mb card it's the difference between 5 pictures and about 17... </font>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2003, 01:12 PM
Keyboard Implanted

lets try this once
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1014892-Sandman.jpg (44.4 KB, 12 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2003, 09:23 PM

I still havent bought one of these new fangled digital cameras. One of these days i will.
There is a sweet olympus i was lookin at, 4megapixel, 8xoptical zoom, 3x digital zoom, and some video capabilites to boot. Just like your Olympus, it supports a ton of cards, and all those file formats. Very cool, but also like 500 clams, if i remember correctly. Digitals take kilelr pics, though. (Both raw &amp; unedited,) i think digitals look cleaner (on the screen) than actual photos scanned in, but thats just me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode