webhosting providers - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

webhosting providers

I need some suggestions for webhosting providers. My current one has officially begun to piss me off. They were excellent when I first joined them three or so years ago. They're making me move to a Linux machine running a jail environment. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]

Please, help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2003, 11:08 AM

Re: webhosting providers

If you can, try it out. Linux is alot more consistant running and will not get you the blue screen of death like Microsoft.

Just an opinion.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2003, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Linux is as stable as a quadriplegic on a one-legged stool.

Linux is the red-headed stepchild of Windows 98. Windows 98 is pathetic. Any of the 16 bit Windows (95, 98, ME) is gay. I've been running NT or 2000 for the last 5 years and probably have only seen the blue screen a dozen times. Most of them have been hardware failures. If the feet in the harddrive keep welding themselves to the disk 2k will eventually start to complain. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I prefer FreeBSD. All of my stuff that isn't a workstation runs FreeBSD. At work all of our stuff is Solaris or Microsoft. I've got my boss convinced that our department is a "No Linux" department. After finding out through trial and error that it is more like swiss cheese than Irix out of the box we decided that no Linux boxen will be on the network.

My main beef with Linux for webhosting is that it runs in jail 99% of the time. Jail blows. You have virtually no tools. I mean, they let me have "shell access" and I can't even do a "nslookup".

I don't like jail. Ensim's Linux stuff is jail. So is Cobalt RaQ (which is now owned by Sun).

I'm just looking for a place that offers better options. The main reason I went with the current people (www.tera-byte.com) is that they offered FreeBSD virtual webhosting. Well, I'm the last person left on the server (ivy.tera-byte.com) and they want to get rid of it. I'd like to find somewhere else that is either cheaper or offers better services for what I'm paying ($100/year). I mean, I have shell access on my new server (bob.tera-byte.com) but it's useless. I can't execute anything.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2003, 12:23 AM
Mud in my Veins

sounds like you need to learn some 133+ hacks to get r00+ access, then you can run whatever you want to [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

i hadnt run linux in 5-6 years until today.. i put on redhat 8, mainly just because i want to try out this VMware thing that lets me run XP inside of X Windows... i could barely stand to use 98 and almost went exclusively to linux awhile back, but there were several apps that i just couldnt live without. however, XP is quite powerful and rarely takes a crap on me, but I still think having XP on top of Linux would be a sweet setup [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2003, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

it's 1337 and r3wt to you, buddy. haha.

I'm a little behind the times for such things. I kind of outgrew it when I was a senior in high school. Then when I got to college about a month later someone told on me and I got 18 months of delayed suspension. I'm still banned from resnet but now I can use the computers at school.

The last time I seriously ran Linux was Redhat 5.1 and Slackware 3.6. That was just before Linux went gay and all these wannabes started using it.

Anything Linux can do, FreeBSD can do better.

I remember when wine first came out. Everyone was ranting and raving about running 16 bit mIRC on linux through wine. Crazy, I say. I still prefer 2000 for a desktop and then FreeBSD for everything else.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 01:44 AM
Mud in my Veins

told on you for doing what? freshman year in college i got banned from the network for a semester because i was playing around on some servers at a friend's college and their ancient net gateway server freaked out and shutdown the network for most of the day. they got me on a couple technicalities locally so i really couldnt protest it... that was the last of my linux fun days. i also got to do 15 hrs community service cleaning lab computers... now i can say i've given back to the community [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] at one point sophomore-junior year in high school i had "discovered" shells on probably 15 different university and ISP servers [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] before broadband, you had to be very clever to be a warezer, and shells were very handy [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode