Firearms training courses - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

Firearms training courses

Has anyone looked into or even attended a firearms training course? I have been looking at Thunder Ranch and Gunsite but that is about as far as I have gone. I am just wondering if it is worth it.

One reason for me not going is a legal reason. What if I went and later on, someone breaks into my house and I smoke the piece of %$#&? Lawyers for the family would find out I attended a course on how to kill. I would be done, but alive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 07:42 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Firearms training courses

no you went to a course on how to effectively protect yourself without putting anyone else into danger. by shooting the perp who broke into your house you save the next victim on his list. and by shooting him dead with one shot, you didnt send a stray bullet through the wall and into an innocent child. its all in how you "articulate" what happened. if only the two of you were there and he is dead, he really cant say your making anything up. you would also have to check deeply into teh laws in your area. i believe you must be in fear for your life to use deadly force and the person presenting it to you must be able to carry it out. translation= baseball bat held by a huge body builder coming at you or baseball bat held by a 56 lbs 12 year old coming at you. its really up to you. i am trained and proficient in the use of a firearm.
one other thing to consider is how many times has your house been broken into, whats the crime rate in your neighborhood, and what is the average police response time in your area?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 09:32 AM

yes, use hollow points that are tested to not go through a couple of houses. ussually a large caliber so you dont have to fire more than once or so he cant get a shot off
post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 10:16 AM
Mud in my Veins

I happen to know both are recommended by the boys at Soldier of Fortune magazine, which makes me think they're great operations.[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

If you're gonna shoot someone, as pfunk said, use a .45 or a big calibre wheel gun. My dad's got a .32 for concealed carry. I can't beleive that overly glorified .22 is gonna deter some big drug crazed looney. Probably just piss him off more. I'm getting a .45 as my carry gun (whenever I stop spending money on my truck and flying). 230 grains will tear a good sized chunk of flesh off of someone's body. More likely to make them dead so to speak.[img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] If I'm gonna have to shoot someone, I only want to do it once. 9mm shmine miwimeta.[img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 10:47 AM

If you have a gun for protection, make sure you load it with commercial loads and not hand loads. Hand loads can be made "hotter" and can be constrewed as you are looking to kill not just protect.

Yes, I am from Kalifornia.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 11:03 AM

If you're going to protect your home from intruders, forget the handguns - get an auto-loading shotgun - you don't have to aim perfectly (and who can aim perfectly if someone's running at you or already taking a shot at you) with the right load, it won't go through the walls either.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 11:12 AM
Keyboard Implanted

well i tell you what....i have a unloaded .44 magnum right out in the open. that way when i wake up and its pointed at me they think they have my protection. however thats when i grab the load glock (model 23) filled with hot mp5 ammo and toast them. my explaination is i dont know if they loaded it or not but they sure had a gun in there hand [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

the shotgun is so bulky but yes very effective. i know alot of farmers who use that method and a less lethal salt shot that will hurt and sting like a beeoch
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 12:04 PM

Note to self: don't point Sparty's .44 at him.

In Canada, handguns are difficult to acquire, keep, and transport. They're so tightly regulated that for many, there's no point in even having one. Shotguns aren't a problem if they are over 660mm long and are limited to three rounds (which should be enough to stop anyone - but I guess that if there's more than three of them, there may be a problem if you don't have time to re-load). A person would have nightmares if they ever shot someone with a 12-gauge at close range, but nightmares are better than getting killed by a crack-head.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

What if they realize the revolver is empty and load it themselves?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 05:17 PM
Old Hand

I can personally vouch that a .357 goed thru the tailgate of a truck with very much authority while the shotgun(12 guage) just bounced off. This was around 10 meters away. The truck i have now i tried a 9MM at and it did the job going thru the metal of the tailgate but after that it couldn't break thru the bedliner all the time. The metal on the early ford pickups isn't as thick as on the later ones.

Mark 4 runner I wouldn't point anyones gun at myself. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode