President just said something iffy! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 12:02 AM
72dreamer

President just said something iffy!

finally made it to post something. anyways...

about these hydrogen cars he wants us to drive. anymore info on the details? is the beginning of doing away with the gas engines? am i fretting over nothing? maybe it's something to keep in mind. so, what are your thoughts on the subject? the "clear skies" proposal makes me wonder what they have in mind besides company waste. go at it.

yours truly, dreamer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 12:08 AM

Re: President just said something iffy!

hey dreamer! [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] yeah, i heard that in his speech too. i was listening to commentary today about his state of the union address and a lot of people think he's just saying that to blow up environmentalists skirts. right now(war time) is an especially critical time for him to gain approval from all groups...what better way than to appeal to thegroup he's been butting heads with since he came in to office.

i was thinking, can those hydrogen cars have the toughness and power to get the kind of work done that v8s and diesels do?? if so, then that'd be cool. but if these hydrogen cars are goingto has as much power as a mini RC car from radioshack, then, screw that [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 12:19 AM
72dreamer

speaking of blowing up skirts... [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

no seriously. i would not mind the advanced technology. i welcome it. i don't want the gasser to suffer the fate the dinos did is all. in fact, i'll think of hydro cars and (gulp) trucks as something else to supe up.

another thing. women such as yourself are a dying breed. i hope i have that wrong though. maybe women like you are coming of age. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 12:51 AM
LowGearMonster

I don't think gas vehicles will ever die off. They will always produce gas. They already know how to make it. They are still debating wether or not to produce them. Most car companies are going to build hybrids. They say those are pretty powerful.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 09:36 AM
Keyboard Implanted

HMMMMMM, Lets see. Bush is from a wealthy OIL family, getting rid of gasoline and diesal powered cars would be like firing himself, we are going to fight a war against a country under the guise of fighting terorrism but all it will do is to serve driving up fuel prices basicaly giving himself and his family a big fat raise.I will say without a single shred of doubt that he is just blowing smoke up the bunny huggers asses to get support for a war, and that the hydrogen fuel thing will either die off after words or will be a limited gimmick thing to alleviate pollution in the major metropolis cities like NY or LA.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 09:55 AM
Mud in my Veins

Kraby, you kill me man. Do you really beleive that [bleep]? [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

Hydrogen is basically the next big thing in automotive power. You pump it in, mix it with oxygen, get your reaction to harness as power, and the only biproduct is water. Drinkable water.[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] The main problem now is our ability to store the hydrogen is lacking. Hydrogen also likes to blow up if hit right.[img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] However, given some time, it will be a viable alternative.

Also, I remember reading somewhere, that sorta like propane, our gasser engines could be modified to burn hydrogen. Can't remember the details of it though.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Meanwhile, Iraq is pointing chemical and biological weapons (if not more) at it's neighbors, and gee, do you think they wouldn't give some to terrorists? We get rid of ol' Saddam and put a democratic, pro-USA government (a rarity in the Middle East, Israel is the only other one, Turkey is SORTA one), and suddenly the country that sits on at least 10% of the world's oil reserves likes us and all those nasty NBC weapons go away. Not to mention a lot of support for terrorism.[img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 10:10 AM
LowGearMonster

I was always wondering if we could convert gas engines to hydrogen. If that is possible, that would be awesome. We could afford to run big blocks in our daily drivers. A new golden era, so to speak. No more of those damn rattling Catylic converters. The tree huggers would be happy too and lay off us some. Man I am getting pumped up for hydro now. I WANT HYDRO!!! [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 01:03 PM

my buddie tried this on his scout 304 big block...melted the pistons and he was mixing it with gas in very small amouts. an engine has to be designed for hydrogen, right from the start. it is very explosive, and once you compress it, it ignites, that was my buddies problem, he couldnt stop it from preignighting. im sure thier will be a reliable way in the future, but right now, gas is gas, and the more you burn the more you turn [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 03:36 PM
Old Hand

In school we converted a regular gas engine Toyota pickup to a CNG (compressed natural gas) vehicle. Expect to see more of these around due to the fuel economy, price and the damn near zero emissions. There are kits available to do this to any EFI vehicle but i'm not sure where to get them.

The price of CNG is about 1/2 that of gas and you get better enconomy with it cuz it wastes less heat. IF the government was so concerned about it they should offer some kind of discount on the kits and installation. I have to agree that he's just makin the tree hugger happy. He is from Texas you know. I'm pretty sure he had a good time as a kid screamin around his daddy's farm or oil drilling place in HIS gas guzzling truck. Not to up on politics but i remember politicians were once normal HONEST people and if we could just get them to stop pleasing people the world would be a better place. You cant please everyone.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2003, 04:30 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Search the web. There's been several people that have tried to get hydrogen to not grenade a conventional engine.

Many of the rotary engines (Wankel engine) can be easily converted to hydrogen though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode