disclosure and legality? PLEASE HELP! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

disclosure and legality? PLEASE HELP!

I'll try to keep this a concise as possible. 3 years ago (2000) my parents bought a 97 4Runner V6 for 23k. It was about 2K below book but the salesman said that it was because there was some front end damage (fender and door) but had been replaced.

This last week my dad hit some black ice and rolled the vehicle. The entire front end up to the A-pillar was demolished including the bumper yet the air bags didn't go off. He was fine but we just got word that the car was a loss.

Looking at the records, the adjuster stated that the book value was 15K but could only give us 10K because the 4Runner had previously been totaled. We were NEVER told of this ( didn't know about carfax at the time), and now our insurance says that they wouldn't have even covered it if they knew it had been totaled! There is also a good possibility that the air bags weren't even reinstalled. (we'll find out tomarrow hopefully)

What should we do? The car was bought "as is" but I find it hard to believe that it would include a vehicle that was previously totaled. Was it illegal to not disclose that the car was a previous total? We were NEVER told this, only that it had been in an accident but that was it. Please help, we're kinda lost and could really use the help! I can answer any questions that you have. Thanks for your time.

Brett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 09:46 AM

Re: disclosure and legality? PLEASE HELP!

if the car was totalled, it would have a salvaged title, if it doesnt have a salvage title, you may have to sue and keep arguing with the insurance company. if it does have a salvage title, your screwed., allways look at the title, itll have salvaged vehical on it
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 09:51 AM

Re: disclosure and legality? PLEASE HELP!

Your local vehicle registries office may have information on this. And perhaps call other insurance companies and get their opinion on the matter. Even autobody shops and/or wreckers may have some information/knowledge on this.

Getting opinions from professionals can back you up and give you confidence for your argument.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode