Silver Lake Dunes - Camping Trip - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Silver Lake Dunes - Camping Trip

ok so now that there is some interest, we need to put the plan into motion. silver lake is near muskegon michigan, appoximately 45 minutes north of grand rapids. the place can fill up fast, so we should try to get our reservations in soon. we need a list of how many people are going so we can check into site availability. if your interested in going it will involved camping, taking your rigs on the dunes, renting wranglers to run on the dunes, and lots of fun time with other members of this board. if your in.....post a line and let us know.

--this will be this summer some time, not sure exactly when yet! more to come.

Thanks, Patrick (the flash)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 04:59 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Silver Lake Dunes - Camping Trip

You might want to include more information about the area such as this:

http://www.ohwy.com/mi/s/silversp.htm

The Sands is probably the best place to stay if you're on a budget. I've stayed there many times with my parents. If you aren't allergic to campgrounds then there are two, the state park and then the place just across the street.

The last time I was there was two years ago. I'd consider not going on a weekend because it sucks going there on the weekend. I don't like being on the dunes when there are a bunch of drunks and imbeciles getting in the way. During the week there is a fraction of the people and it is actually a lot of fun. There are just enough people so that if you break down someone will come along and give you some help. Usually there are more locals out during the week so it's a lot more mellow.

Don't go during the first two weeks of July. That's when changeover is for GM employees and the place is so packed it gets quite scary.

I know quite a few of us Michiganians have been there. I know I used to go every year until I came to college. I'm pretty sure Tim has been there several times. Blusmbl (Nick) has been there also. I wonder where he went.

Anyway, Nick's site is http://www.caintmakit.com/ if you want some pictures. I've got limited ones http://www.wrath.com/projects/vehicles/images/blaster/

I want to go but I'll probably be going to school this summer again so it'll depend on when it is. The MTU Four Wheelers usually go during the summer. The website is pretty outdated.. http://www.sos.mtu.edu/4x4/
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 08:46 PM
Mud in my Veins

I might be in. Depends on getting the time off work, cash flow, and vehicle availability. Hear there are some decent 2 tracks in the area too.[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I thought it was farther north than that? Also might have a non-puter savy friend or two who would want to go.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 10:17 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 12:46 AM

what's the nearest available airport to fly into? i'm really tempted to get yup there and tag along as a passenger. that'd be great summer trip [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] my decision is also based on school schedule and $....mainly $...school can wait [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

closest airport would be in Kent County at The Gerald R. Ford International Airport. strangely enough that is also where AJM works, so you could hitch a ride with him or i can pick you up......its only about 15-20 minutes from my house.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 06:14 PM

I could probably make it there with atleast one of my rigs. i want to try my rockcrawler in the dunes. crawling test hill!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 06:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

count me in, im sure i can make it out there on a weekend, there is a very good chance i can do it on a weekday too. i don't know where ill stay, last time i was there i stayed at the best western with a bunch of my buddies, you know its a yuppy thing [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].
just from experiance of planning trips with my friends 1/3 of them will tell you they can't make it in the last minute, another 3rd wont show up on the day, so don't be dissapointed like i was at first.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 08:44 PM
Addict

I'm very interested will have to know when before i can say for sure though ....... also I'm planning a trip to waynoka oklahoma to play on the dunes at little sahara in july
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 09:53 AM

sounds good to me, depending on the money situation [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode