Go play with your pet(s)........ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Go play with your pet(s)........

My family had a Cardigan Welsh Corgi (a dog for you non-canine folk[img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) named Tovah for 14 years. We got her when she was just past 1 year old. Happy little animal who always brightened the mood in the room and always wanted to be petted or just be around people. I think during the 4 years I was away in the Marines I missed her more than anyone else in the family.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] This last year that I've been home she was getting steadily worse and worse. She was stone deaf, her eyesight wasn't what it used to be, she was loosing bladder control, and eventually, having strokes and mini strokes to the point where she didn't know what was going on and would keep on going afterwards like nothing was happening. We'd just find a pile of something and have to go find her.[img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] She looked so peaceful in her sleep, but when she was awake and moving around you could tell how old she was and that her life wasn't like it used to be. After a particularily bad day on the 30th, we decided she should be put down yesterday. We buried her in our pine trees with a big rock as a headstone.[img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I haven't cried at any of my grandparent's funerals or when people I knew were killed. Somehow yesterday got to me. I dunno, but go enjoy your pets. Somehow I even seem to appreciate this damn noisy cockateal here at work a bit more now. My mom took it the hardest cause Tovah was her little buddy, but it was obvious it was the right thing to do, just very hard. Our other dog seems kinda lost right now, doesn't have her buddy to bug or look after.[img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Amazing how a creature so small and simple could bring so much joy to so many people.[img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Tovah Marie Mathias, 1987-2002, we miss you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 985139-Tovah.jpg (10.4 KB, 20 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 01:16 PM

Re: Go play with your pet(s)........

AJM
Sorry to hear about Tovah, thats tough! People who don't or never had pets just don't realize how close we get to them. Some friends of ours just had to put down their lab named "Hudson", and they were a mess, they wouldn't answer the phone for a week. Poor old guy, he could barely walk, was deaf as a post, and at the end of things was peeing on the floor while he ate, and didn't even know it. Having three dogs ourselves, we felt soo sad for them, as they were obviously torn up over it. I've always been around dogs, and remember when we had to get our rottweiler "Jessie" put down, and the german sheppard before that "cal"...it was tough. My wife and I have three Basset Hounds, ages 3,3,5. And we cannot even begin to think of the day they will not be. Sorry to hear about yer loss. Later.
Cory
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 05:09 PM

Sorry to hear about your loss, I know how you feel 15 years and we lost our first dog We have 2 now. My sister has an Austrailian Shepard, and I have a yellow lab, she is my pride and joy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 985331-Image-01.JPG (30.6 KB, 17 views)
post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 05:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

AJM sorry to hear about your dog.
if you want to get your other dog some play time and friendship, bring it over. we have a pen that it can run in with my dog and tire each other out. i know that it prolly doesnt sound like alot now but your dog would love it. shoot i will even bring mine to you, short drive

my brother had our dog for 4 months in germany with his dog (they are brothers) and when my parents went over and brought him home he was depressed for a month.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 05:41 PM

hey guy, i'm sorry about Tovah. I know how losing a long time family pet goes. i remember you telling me she was getting worse. but don't fret too much - think of all the wild and crazy stuff she did while she was around....the funny stuff that made you laugh, or really mad, but you can laugh about it now [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 07:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

sorry mate,

any loss like that is bad. i moved to gf's and missed my dogs more than anything. when i lost our boxer befoer the danes, i did cry, they got new puppy i didnt look at it for a week, didn't want the heartache again. but it passed and now i have new babies. its a shame they can't follow a human anywhere in age. i wish i could have one dog for my entire life, would make everything easier.
we had a 15 yr old cocker spanial, blind, deaf, limped, but loved the house. would let her out and then pick her up at door. yes she was a pain but when she smelt you her little tail would wag. i miss her too.

theo
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Hey thanks everybody. Just one of those things, trying to make everyone aware of the things you don't see that are right under your nose sometimes.

She didn't do stairs much anymore, because if it was too high the hop down was hard on her joints, and her bad sight ment she often couldn't quite see where the ground was.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. So she'd stand there at the edge of the top step with her right front paw lifted up. "Okay, thou may pick me up and place me on the ground now......", spoiled little [bleep].[img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Sparty, thanks for the offer, but oy, you'd have to meet Whitney. She spent a bit to much time with her momma as a puppy, so she's REALLY skitish. She's afraid of EVERYTHING. Most dogs love little kids, someone to play with and just pour affection on them. Not Whitney, she's going the opposite direction as far as her leash or lead will let her go.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Same with other dogs. Takes her a REALLY long time to warm up to them. She is a marvelous pointing/retreiving dog though.

Soon as I have a place where I can have a big dog I'm getting a Golden Retreiver pup and naming him Bob.[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2003, 06:32 AM

sorry to hear about your loss. the description of your beloved family pet brought back the memory of my childhood pet boxer "bobby", she died in my arms one evening after having a stroke . makes this dumb redneck cry just thinking about it . i know how you feel buddy ....Von Warner [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2003, 10:48 AM

Soory about your loss. Pets are always around unlike people you know. That is one reason why they are hard to deal with when they "retire".

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2003, 12:10 PM

Okay, call me a crackpot if you wish, but maybe you'll find some small consolation in this little tidbit: according to Sylvia Browne, we'll all be reunited with our family AND pets when we're done with this life & meet up in that big ORV Park in the sky!

Though the body may wither - the spirit endures!!! (Cardigan Welsh Corgi's included!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode