Tube Bending - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

View Poll Results: Good Investment or Pipe Dream ??
Its worth the money 1 25.00%
It probably wont work 3 75.00%
Save your $$, pay a professional 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Tube Bending

So I'm daydreaming about fabbing up my own roll & nerf bars ... whaddya think about this little item?

Any opinions / past experiences welcome !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 02:07 PM
Pooh-Bah

Re: Tube Bending

I'm no expert <font color="blue">hitechredneck</font color>, but I don't think a PIPE bender will work for heavy wall TUBING.
There's a lot of discussion on it if you do a search.
I did find a good article on how to do the bending itself at pirate....here.
I've thought about that bender you've got pictured as well,
but when I've mentioned it to a few folks in the club here that have built cages,
the general consensus is, it won't work.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Excellent write-up <font color="blue"> WD </font color> ... thanks for the link. Dayumn - the size of that guys' bender!! I feel inadequate all-of-a-sudden! [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
... and dagnabbit - the search is still busted!
post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 06:39 PM
wrobel

wow. that's a damn nice write up
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 10:15 PM
Keyboard Implanted

That is a very good write up . I've done it the "hard math" way, by figuring the amount of growth in # of * of radius, ect , which is almost impossible to compensate enough for to make sure bends show up where they're suppose to . I'll have to remember his formula , it looks crude but I'd rather do that than waste tube....
Sarge
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 08:44 AM

i havent used the bottle jack tupe bender, but i have used the floor type, we used that type for bending cages for nhra cert. the one thing you have to watch out for is when you strech the tube, your nominal wall thickness on the outer part of the diameter needs to be abouve the minimum requirement, this is your week point. the floor bender works good, but you have to mount it and have a lot of room around it. we mounted ours in between the doors on a 3 car, so when not in use it doesnt take up that much room
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Well whaddya know ... even without a search, I found a post that answers this question - and a few I hadnt even thought to ask yet! Just couldnt pass one up with a title like "...People Suck...." - sorry to hear 'bout your hitch <font color="blue"> WillysWanter </font color> - but I'm bettin when you find it ... It was some 'Uber-Crackhead' that [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img] snatched it!!

[img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] <font color="red"> Crackheads </font color> [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2003, 12:18 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

howdy,
this is a pipe bender, not a tube bender. all these things do is screw up the tuben you are trien to bend. save your money and buy a pro-tool 105. them things do not have a following edge and that just leads to caven in the tube.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2003, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, I now know that tool isn't going to do what want it to ... I didnt come up with anything when I searched for 'Pro-Tool 105', can you offer any other info it?

I know that some of you out there are already set-up to do this kind of work ... anybody out there on (or around) the East Coast willing to bend up a rollbar &amp; nerf bars for me? I can't see spending good money on chrome plated crap that wont take a hit (which is all I can seem to find for sale)!!

- Thanks all !!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2003, 07:30 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

howdy,
check out Rock Buggy Supply . but just to let ya know they ain't cheap. but if you can weld and think you could make your own check out this write up. Blind Chicken Racing Tubing Bender . but it will still cost abot $300 or so. if you go over to the suzuki page, talk to Rockrat. He is benden up the cage for my sammi. he might just be able to help ya out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode