Kegerator: how to build one? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Kegerator: how to build one?

has anybody ever made one of these? is it just a keg sitting in a fridge with a tap on the side, or is there something in there that automatically pumps it too? [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] i'm getting a house with 3 guys next year and we all drink our fair share of beer on a daily basis, so we thought one of those things might be nice to have around the house [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 07:54 PM

Re: Kegerator: how to build one?

muddybronco
Just buy an old refrigerator. I was at a guys house a few years back, and he had a bar built in his basement. All he did was rip all the shelves out of an old fridge, put a keg in it, drill a hole through the side wall, and run a hose to the tap on his bar...no sweat. he used something like 1/2" poly braided hose or something....it was pretty neat. You just have to make sure wherever you put the hole in your fridge, not to drill where the coils are burried in the the wall, and then seal it up with some silicone. away you go. Cold beer [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Rembrant

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 08:02 PM

Those pesky coils are why, the one I remember had the tap hangin' right out the front of the door ... plenty of flexi. hose between the tap & keg made it a cinch to swap out 'jugs'. I'm sure there's a charging sytem available to keep the tap pressurized w/o having to pump your a** off ... but I dunno about the price! ... All in all a fine project to undertake, provided alchoholism doesnt run in the family !! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 10:30 PM
72dreamer

do everything rembrant said, except make the hole on the door. no coils around there.

man i miss helping out when i can....

ps...you'll need a grommet instead of sillycone. or playdoh! [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 05:19 AM
Veteran

I have one that I'll sell cheap. Shipping will be a b!tch though. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Anyway, I took an old fridge and used a hole saw to drill through the side (coils and power are in the back and underneath). The expensive part is the regulator and tap. If you can find them used somewhere that'll save you a bunch. I knew someone that worked on servicing the taps in bars so I got that for almost nothing [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I had to buy a CO2 tank and some hoses which wasn't too bad. You can get the CO2 filled at places that service fire extinguishers for less than $10. The CO2 is what forces the ice cold beer into your frosty mug (kept conveniently in the upper section of the Kegerator)

I can get some pics this weekend if you need

EDIT: OMG that was post #666 on Friday the 13th. I'm going to bed now!!!!! [img]images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 09:52 AM

If you look around on e-bay there are a lot of people who sell the equipment you need to make one, along with the instructions. I think it runs around $100. I made one a couple years ago and it was pretty cool. I gave it to the other guys in my frat when I moved though.

Just last year I decided just to buy one. I found it on e-bay for $600 with shipping. It is the like one of the dorm size fridges that has the tapper coming right out of the top. It comes with everything you need except the beer, and you have to go get the CO2 tank filled, at a fire extinguisher place like someone else said or a welding supply store. It looks great, works awesome and doesn't take up as much room or electricity as homemade ones. I've got it sitting right next to my recliner in front of my bigscreen so I don't even have to get up. If i could only figure out a way to take a leak without moving I would be in heaven.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I've got it sitting right next to my recliner in front of my bigscreen so I don't even have to get up

[/ QUOTE ]

oh man, and i thought i couldnt get any more lazy [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

i found a couple places that deal in the stuff i need, building one doesnt look too complicated, and i dont think any of us care enough to spend 600 bones, even if we split it 4 ways. it's now added to my list of summer projects [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2002, 09:39 PM
Aprentice

I saw some at Home Depot a few weeks ago, don't remember what the price was though. It was one like Beerstalker is talking about.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 11:55 AM

My brother-in-law has one. We just drilled a hole in the door. His was up against a workbench and a toolbox on either side. That made the door the only option. He went out and got a CO2 tank. He gets the keg, places it inside the fridge, attaches the tap/CO2 and closes the door. (until next week when we have to get a new keg.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 12:57 PM

they also have a neat little setup that cools the beer as needed (kinda like a drinking fountain), my cousin was looking into it, but decided to wait, ill try to find the info (it needs an c02 tank)(bar style))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode