any gun gurues or hunters and plinkers out there - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

any gun gurues or hunters and plinkers out there

ahhhhhhhhhh picked up 17 HMR today that I cant shoot cause theres no ammo available right now or in the sourounding towns.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 10:36 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: any gun gurues or hunters and plinkers out there

Ouch. One of those fun calibres though. Friend of mine had a .17/223 he handloaded. Round came out of the tube at something like 4500-5000 fps.[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] We shot a squirrel once, didn't even realize we hit it until we found a foot. That was it. A foot.

I like to stay with commonly available calibres. .45 ACP, .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .45 Long Colt, .308 Winchester/7.62mm NATO, .30-06, 7.62x39mm Russian, etc. There is a lot to be said for the handloads and wildcat derived rounds though.[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I put a new stock on my AK-47 last week. Looks good.[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img][img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

the 17HMR is rimfire round wich cant be hand loaded, hornaday and ruger have been developing it and it hasnt quite goten popular yet, I had to have one I guess because its new and difrent,
it shoots a 17gr hornaday vmax bullet just under 3000 ft per sec, with only 5.4grs of pouder. bla b;lah kli,jrtokuj its cool ammo will hopefully become more available.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 08:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm fairly certain you can order the .17 ammo trough cabela's, hit up www.Cabelas.com and check it out.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 02:40 PM

I am surprised the store where the gun was purchased didn't have any ammo. It is supposed to be a hell of a round!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2002, 08:36 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Elaborate. What gun was it (brand, etc). Bolt action I assume? What sort of magazine/feed system does it have? Standard taper barrel or bull barrel? Free floated, glass bedded, etc? Laminate stock, synthetic or regular wood? How much did it cost? Have you got a chance to shoot it yet?

I'm pondering one of those at some point. Probably after I get a .45 caliber pistol, .22-250 rifle, and .300 remington ultra mag (or short action ultra mag)... [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I gotta have some more cannons first... [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But before that I need an ATV... Hopefully the gun collection will begin to grow again next fall... [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]</font>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 11:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Isn't the 17 HMR a necked down 22 mag? If so does it have better ballistics than the 22 mag?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 03:55 PM

<font face="comic Sans MS">Yes, .17HMR (Hornady, Marlin, Ruger i.e. those who pushed development of it) is a necked down .22 Win Mag rimfire cartridge. The ballistics are said to be considerably better in terms of flatter shooting. I believe the energy peters out somewhat quick though. From what I have read anyhow. It will reach out to 200 yds, but the rd will just barely penetrate any ballistic gellatin at all. Just going by some things I've read.

I too am awaiting more info from some actual .17HMR owners... [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]</font>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 10:29 AM

I am a .17HMR Ruger owner. I love it. Ask away. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 12:09 PM

can anyone say desert eagle $1 a round. I can hide my .45acps in the shells...i want one, and a .308 ruger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode