Thanksgiving foooood - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Thanksgiving foooood

ok, so any of you stud muffins gonna be cookin' anything for thanksgiving??? who's buying the beer? just curious. all i'm doing for our get together is baking an apple pie, so, i get to relax [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 09:31 AM

Re: Thanksgiving foooood

i am the cook . the kids wont hardly eat mommy's cooking . so she does the dishes, i do the cooking . thats alright though i love to cook and if i do say so myself i am a darn good cook.. Von Warner
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 01:39 PM

A thread on cooking! That's my bag, baby! After surfing the BBS, it's on to foodtv.com for me (23,000+ recipes!).

Canadian thanksgiving is long gone (it was back in October), but I let my mom take care of the "big" meals anyway - can't get the hang of cooking for large groups of people, and besides, I've never made cabbage rolls, which are an absolute must, and you have to have an occasional excuse to go back home.

Anyone try some good recipes lately? I've got a great one for pilaf. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 02:06 PM

i was the cook / engineer on a 137 foot boat in alaska and let me tell you what cold hungry fishermen never complain about the food . sometimes i feed 25-30 people out of our galley that was smaller then an average kitchen. you name it i have probably cooked it or at least a version of it. except for cabbage rolls... what are they , for some reason i keep thinking saurekrout. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] .....Von Warner
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 02:31 PM

Cabbage rolls are a mixture of rice, meat, and other stuff rolled into cabbage leaves. There's lots of different recipes out there (they're traditional in many central, northern, and eastern European countries - Germans traditionally make gigantic ones with lots of meat, and the ones my mom makes are an eastern European type that are smaller with less meat, and much tastier in my HO).

Some people don't like them (partly because they don't look like much - imagine a type of alien pod), but once you develop a taste for them you'll want to eat them like candy. They taste nothing like sauerkraut (which is easy to make by the way - I make it myself and freeze it - mmmmm-m!).
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 02:36 PM

German type:

Just like mom makes:
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 02:43 PM

yep, they look like alien pods . Yummy looking alien pods . you guys have those for thanksgiving? anything different with the turkey?...Von Warner
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 02:58 PM

As far as Thanksgiving goes, of course, it's just a Canadian and American holiday, so there is no traditional European cooking associated with it. We have the traditional Canadian/American deal (turkey with stuffing, ham, mashed potatoes, etc), but Mom adds some motherland favourites like cabbage rolls and nalisnikie (sp?).
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 07:59 PM
Veteran

They originated from Poland, called Galumpki`s and i love em, but man do they give you gas! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 12:02 AM
Addict

My baby and I are cooking the turkey with all the trimings, such as filling, mash taters, corn, bread, gravy, pumpkin pie, apple pie as for left overs later in the day we will make waffles with turkey & gravy smothered over all...

[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] THATS MY STORY & I AM STICKING TO IT [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode