any bread mold experts? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

any bread mold experts?

i've had half a loaf of white bread in my truck for about 3 weeks, and i just remembered today, and surprisingly there's no mold on it at all! in fact, it's fairly fresh... what the hell? i cant get a loaf to last 3 weeks in my house, why did it last longer in my truck? it wasnt even sealed well, just kinda folded over sitting in the back seat out in the open... weird, no? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 09:12 AM

Re: any bread mold experts?

if i were bread mold i wouldn't live in akansas either [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] just kidding !! actually i think they are putting some sort of perservative in bread now to retard the growth of mold spores . maybe there might not have been any spores that made contact with the bread when you opened it .just out of curiosity, did you eat the bread ? he he he . [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] take care Von Warner
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

YES, i did eat it! the end pieces were kinda stale, but the center ones werent bad, so why not? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

i was wondering if it had something to do with humidity, or maybe this cold weather we've been having? (relatively cold... low-30's at night, mid-50's highs)

since outside air gets circulated so much more than interior air, it could just be that the mold is WAY more concentrated in indoor air than outdoor air, which seems reasonable to me. dunno, just thought it was interesting [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 06:37 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Was it white bread ? Its much more resistant to mold than other types . Mold needs certain conditions to flourish . I think when bread is kept in the house in the same place all the time the mold spores are already there and when you open and close the bag its already began the process . First time you open the bag its begun . In your truck there probably are no spores present . Thats just my guess [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Jeff
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

yep, white bread.... i mean we've had hamburger buns mold a week after buying them after being opened just once, so this was quite a surprise for me!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 07:40 PM
Can't Get Enough

Last week I found a loaf in my desk drawer at work fom early September that didn't have any mold on it. It wsa still nice a soft too. the stuff at my house gets eaten before it molds so i have no reference for how long it takes to mold at home.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 01:38 AM

Kind of opposite of bananas. You buy them green and a few days later you have to throw them out.

I would have just thrown it out.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

well since you brought this up....

the bread is still not moldy! it's been sitting on the counter since my original post, not even really folded over, and it's just got a tiny dot of green mold! WOW, superbread! It's Kroger Buttermilk Enriched bread, if anybody wants to get ahold of this superbread [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] It must've picked up some mold fighting antibodies while in my truck and brought them with it into the house, that's all i can figger [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 11:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

hey JEEPZILLA,
lets say we always have the bread in the same spot in the cupboard.....right. now how do i get rid of the spores in the cupboard so that i can have the bread last longer? should you just empty it and lysol once a month? would a 10/1 mixture of water and bleach do it? what would you do?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2002, 12:11 PM

Keeping the bread in the cold definitely helps. At my apartment we keep the bread in the fridge all the time. A loaf will last us at least a month before it starts to mold. If it doesn't get ate first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode