O/T from short-wheel base forum - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

O/T from short-wheel base forum

This was posted by [email protected] on the short-wheel base forum. Any help would be appreciated.

I just got my Christmas present from my wife. (Early because I want to use it at Thanksgiving ). I have a reproduction 50cal. Kentucky Rifle. It is flint-lock and is a fairly decent gun for the price (Italian made, so not historically correct).

What I'm mystified about is the ball and patch sizing. Anybody know much about this? I have only fired blank rounds for demonstration, so I've never had to know this before. I plan on taking the rifle to the inlaws Thanksgiving shoot-in, so I need to know what kind of ball to fire and patch to use. Also, powder charge. At fifty cal, about 60 grains FF...right?

Also, any helpful info for a new gun onwer? I have been trained on blackpowder safty by the NPS, so that isn't a problem, but upkeep and improvements are still fair game.

Thanks
Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 08:48 PM
Gibby

Re: O/T from short-wheel base forum

First, you should double check what I or anyone else posts here on this subject. Your safety is at stake and all I can tell you is what worked well for me in a caplock T/C hawken .50.
If your rifle is a .50 cal and you use a round ball, get a .490 ball, a small round patch made specifically for use in a muzzleloader, patch lube, some ultra fine powder for the priming pan, and some Pyrodex rifle powdwer (I forget what it says on the can, FFG or rifle).
I used 60-90 grains of Pyrodex, measured in the measure that came with the gun. You can buy them at any good gun store. Dump the powder in, shake it down and rub some grease into the patch. Put the patch over the end of the barrel and set the ball on it. Use the short ball starter to start it and then the long starter and then finally the ramrod to push it all the way in, making sure it is fully seated on top of the powder.
**before this, put the ramrod in the empty barrle and mark it with a permanent marker. This way you can check it using that mark to see if it is loaded. After you load it, but before you put the priming charge in the pan, put the rod in and mark it again. You can use this mark to be certain you didn't load it twice. (this has happened)**

The next step is to put some ffffg (very fine) powder in the pan and close it. Now, unless it gets wet it should be ready to fire.
I reccomend the Pyrodex because it is less corrosive than conventional powder but you still will have a lot of cleaning to do.
Double check my reccomended charge with the manufacturer of your rifle. These are fairly generic directions and YMMV. Have fun. Any ???S email [email protected]

DMG
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2002, 10:33 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Thanks!

I was wondering about the FFG. I looked at a 1lb container of it tonight and was wondering what difference it was to FF.

I always "ping" my barrel when I first pick it up to check for forgotten loads. The ramrod sits right at the muzzle when empty, so guessing where the bullet is should be fairly easy.

My rifle is an Armi Sport Kentucky and it didn't come with any instructions at all save for a parts list. I know how to fire flintlocks, have been doing it for a while as a demonstration, just never used actual bullets.

I'll keep looking around and will be visiting the local gun shop tomorrow for powder and info. Thanks.

Fritz

Oh, and thanks again Steve.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 06:35 PM

Use plain old mattress ticking for patch material. I rip it into 1" wide strips and keep the end I'm gonna use in my mouth. When I reload I put the wet end of the strip over the muzzle, press the ball in with my thumb then cut the leftover off with my knife. Ram the ball home and you're set

Rule number 1 - Powder, Patch, Ball

Rule number 2 - Make damn sure the ball is seated against the powder.

Oh, yeah, you might want to check on the availability of black powder - I can't get it here so I've got to use Pyrodex.

You ain't been hunting 'til you've hunted prairie chickens with a 12 bore flinter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode