Question regarding firearms and hunting - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Question regarding firearms and hunting

Okay, this is OT for any board here but since its a "hunting" question.... why not. I am interested in learning about homemade silencers for .22 cal rimfire rifles. I am going boar hunting for the first time and was wondering if there is an easy way to keep my report to minimum legally and cheaply. Do any states allow silenced weapons? I'm in coastal Mississippi and a friends lease is OVERRUN with hogs the last few years.... their pushing out the deer. He said kill as many as I can eat or give away [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. Any thoughts or suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 09:16 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Question regarding firearms and hunting

The Soviets/Russkies use cheapie silencers. Esentially a tube that screws onto the end of the barrel like ours, but theirs is just filled with a steel wool like material that burns up after about 7 shots. Each shot gets louder and louder. For all intents and purposes, it can be duplicated with a 20 once bottle jammed full of steel wool duct taped to the end of a Ruger Mark II type pistol. Burns out, but works for the first few shots.

The Anarchist's Cookbook

and

Poor Man's James Bond

are two books that would have info on doing this. There are also manuals for doing precisely this. Be advised though, it isn't completely legal here in the good ol' US of A.[img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 10:02 PM

a baby bottle nipple works just as good one shot one kill as does a spud use them all the time in the good old mo. ozark
fed.parks
post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Okay, now I am curious. I've heard of filling the bottle with water and covering the muzzle with a condom but steel wool? Does that throw the trajectory off? What about range? Fire [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]... really on fire? Maybe not as good an option.

Next reply.... bottle nipple [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]? just stick it over the muzzle? Spud? as in potato? Again, what about accuracy and reduced distance? I am very interested in both these options. How would it work with a 22? or is that the normal setup you use for additional shots?

I am very appreciative for the help. Call it a curiousity more than an intended plan.
Thanks
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 11:26 PM

is it even legal to hunt hogs with a .22? from what i understand, it isn't. maybe i'm misread on state laws(which they'll differ anyway state to state), but a .22 is too small a caliber to kill a hog. its for that reason you can hunt big game with them here in tx. no kill = wounded animal runing off and dying without being found to get used. i guess the deal is, make sure that hogs are defined as huntable(word?) with a .22.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

In Mississippi, hogs are in season during whatever other season is open. In other words, right now is squirrel and archery deer therefore, you can kill as many hogs as you want with those weapons. Lots of folks here hunt hogs with 22s, as long as you get a head shot, in the ear and eye area. The guy whose lease I'm going out on dropped one a few weeks ago in its tracks. I don't know if one shot would be enough on a large boar (300lbs+) but on the smaller sows, I'm told its plenty. I'm just trying to figure out how to get more than one shot if I can.... hogs aren't dumb, the encounter rate is just really high.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 10:31 AM
Mud in my Veins

"Silencer", "long range", "accuracy", and "cheap" are not words generally used together. If you want a true silencer accurate to any kind of distance (100 yards plus), it isn't gonna be cheap, and basically has to be an integral part of the gun, like the Heckler und Koch MP5SD silenced sub machine guns. The screw on ones that most people think of (James Bond or whatever) negatively affect range and accuracy by slowing down the bullet. A home made one filled with whatever is even worse. I'd imagine at relatively short ranges you could do okay, but don't think you will be making pinpoint shots at 50 yards with it.[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 12:35 PM

yeah, hogs are open here too. i'll take them with the .308 when my deers haven't showed up [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] i was thinking a headshot was going to be the only way to get a hog down with a .22. what kinda rifle you using? you can get several shots off pretty quick if you just stay with it after the first one.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 06:38 PM
Mud in my Veins

man, a .22 round will bounce off a pair of new Carhartt pants, how do you expect it to penetrate a hog's skull? [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2002, 06:57 PM

man, you ever washed your carhhartts?? [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] it would take a well placed shot on a hog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode