Question for all who know the answer - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Question for all who know the answer

ok i wanted to find a place who would sand my frame and paint it for me. i found a place that will wash, wax, buff, polish everything, spray paint the wheel wells, and "steel wool" the frame before spray paintingthat as well. total exterior detail for $100.00
my question, should i do it? is the "steel woll" going to even do anything? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 04:49 AM

Re: Question for all who know the answer

Sparty
What kind of condition is your frame in? If it still has its black paint on it and you just want it touched up to look better, than $100 sounds good...but if its already brown and rusty, I wouldn't bother. the paint will give the moisture a place to breed more rust underneath it....sandblasting is the only way to go if its rusty at all. Did they say how they use the steel wool? Do they just have a ball of it and do it by hand? Ask if you can see them do another rig for an example. Good luck.
Rembrant
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

well the frame has black paint on it yet but it is getting rusty in spots....and mainly in the front wheel well. i want it to look good because the frame is visible with the BL. the body is great so i donyt want a rusty frame drooping down.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 04:51 PM
wrobel

i was thinking about sanding down the frame on my jimmy, some parts are brown and rusty, but other parts are still black. hell, the serial number that was spray painted on the rear of the frame is still completely visable. go figure [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] i think i'll just let it slide.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 05:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just my .02 but I don't think that will do much to protect the frame from rust. Probably just a cosmetic improvement & even then I don't see how they can get to every part of it.

You'll have to move to Arizona! [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 05:54 AM

How long do you think it'd take to do good job, going over an Entire frame w/ steel wool . . . they're only gonna charge $100??!! Sounds like it'll be some $3/hour monkey doing the grunt work, you think he'll do a good job??!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

that is very true. however i guess it would be mainly cosmetic. so it would get the job done. we will see......thinking i might just want a barrier there before all of the salt and snow this winter.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 12:01 PM

i wired brushed, acetoned and spray painted my frame. it was mainly cosmetic. if you want rust protection, you're better off going with POR15 stuff. $100 is cheap, but, i won't fork $100 for someone to do to my truck what i could do with $10 and a couple hours worth of work.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 04:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i also wire brushed the frame which was rusty and used some glossy rustoleum. worked well. i even cleaned mud off of wheel wells and spray painted them black too. that was to hide scrapes and whatnot.

theo
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2002, 06:58 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Hey Sparty, not to nit pick or give you grief on your frame post thread, but, if you are going to use a qoute in your sig line at least give Schwartzkoph credit where credit is due.
I agree that if you want to just clean it up a little to get by for the winter, do it. But get a thorough job done next summer or you'll regret it in the long run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode